Originally Posted by Harless
It seems to me that gun collectors don't really know what guns are for...

I bought a new model 99 75th anniversary 308 in 1975 and I'll admit, it wasn't much out of the box but with a little tweaking to make it shoot straight and to shorten the trigger pull about 90%, it's fine weapon.. I've killed about 100 deer and one bear and lots of other things that I won't mention. It has never failed..
Today it will still put 3 shots in a target at 100 yds. and make only one hole..

I shoot 130 gr. bullets at 3000 fps and have never had an animal get away..

I looked in a gun book at a store last month and it had the gun listed as being worth "new in the box" at $6000.00, used in good shape at $2500.00 and the low price was $1400.00..

However mine is not for sale at any price, I bought it to hunt with, I do other things to make money.........

Crakin me up.

First post: he digs up a thread from 2010 and has an ax to grind.

If it's been hunted, you can buy them dime a dozen for $500.

Dig a hole and throw that 75th in it. If somebody digs it up 10,000 years from now somebody might find it and find somebody else to pay 6K for it. I'm not debating that it could make a fine meat weapon, but don't confuse that with it's market value. New and in the box maybe 1200 in today's market. The guy that wrote the book you are reading ain't offering anything for it.

Personally I wouldn't trade a boat anchor for one. Throw in the anchor rope and maybe...

Since it's not for sale now, my recommendation would be to keep it and kill with it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~