A couple years ago, I added another 99 Savage to my accumulation. At the time, the seller told me it was an A. It resembled an A, so I just assumed it was.(I'm a accumulator, not a collector)
Today, while reading the "Hollow Forearm" thread, it kinda sparked my interest. So, I went into my cave, started pulling forearms---Nope no hollow. However, after pulling the end cap off of my F, seeing that the SS#, stamped on the inside of cap, did match the SS# stamped on the inside of the forearm---both numbers followed by a F and then pulling the end cap on the A??,
and seeing both SS#s, followed by a S, I drug out "Murray" and did some reading.
The firearm in question is a .30-30, 22 inch standard wieght barrel, altho, visually, compared to all my other 1899s' and 99s', with light barrels, this barrel resembles a semi-bull, shot gun butt plate. However, my firearm, SS#2292xx, which all 4 SS#s match, obviously, according to "Murray" was mfdered prior to the A. It does have the flat topped, Savage, rear sight, but it has the Rocky Mountain front sight. If not an A, what is it?