To add to what I posted previously, and along the lines of what MM just posted:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When things go bad - as they did for the 145 GS I previously posted, and on a moose shot with a 250 A-Frame in 35 caliber; you can see that both bullets did some side and/or aft end digging. Single drawn cup bullets are easier to compromise under these less-than-usual circumstances.

[Linked Image]

It's not that the A-Frame didn't manage plenty of damage in the process of becoming a tumbleweed. But the bullet didn't lose it's integrity either.

A second bullet, a 250 Partition shot from the same 358 Norma, continued on through, fully penetrating the animal.

The average moose is probably a tougher bullet obstacle than the average brownie. But big browns might not be the smartest place to gamble when choosing bullets. I'd take a Grand Slam over a regular Hot-Cor, Interlock, or Pro-Hunter, but the same money will buy a bullet with more integrity, so it isn't a difficult choice IMO.

FWIW, more bears are probably wounded by excellent bullets than by lesser ones, but a 250 grainer recoils the same whether it is an ordinary cup and core or a bullet with more integrity. IOW, placing a good bullet well is just as easy as placing a bullet of lesser integrity.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.