Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by mog75
The last batch of 223's I loaded were with red dot. My Lyman manual must be f'd up. Actually I think almost every powder listed is a "pistol" powder. If I'm not mistaken imr 4227 was the slowest powder listed for the 55gr. I think I'll call them in the morning. They seem to be confused on what's a "rifle" powder and what's a "pistol" powder.

There are a lot of pistol powders listed for cast loads in the 222, 223, and similar cases - including Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, and Herco among Hercules/Alliant powders. What's interesting is that Blue Dot does not show up in Lyman's data until you get into the pistol cartridges. Perhaps Lyman (and Alliant) know some things that aren't commonly known among the masses?

This is probably true.^^^^^

It pays to have a library of old loading manuals. I have had good luck with BD in heavy shotgun loads. Not so much in pistol loads. Lack of accuracy or unexpected pressure spikes compared to other powders. There are many other good powders to use in heavy pistol loads without these problems.

The problem with the new Alliant load tables is that their marketing staff makes them list only their bullets. Not good for a powder company to do that. It is still usable data, but I do not like it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.