Originally Posted by Savage_99
Cash,

There are much better rifles than the old 721's for hunting in terms of:

1. Reliability
2. Safety
3. Control round feeding
3. Looks
4. Value

Sell that old gun to someone who still thinks they are ok.

Look at other brands and new guns.

1. Reliability? She feeds .30-06 PERFECT... assume 9.3 would be identical. I can't see why not.

2. Safety? 721 actions are about as good as they come IMHO... short of really "extreme" stuff.
If 721s can run a .300 H&H Magnum... the 9.3 should not be a problem.

3. Control round feeding? She feeds .30-06 PERFECT... assume 9.3 would be identical. I can't see why not.

3. Looks? I have plenty of guns that would hurt your eyes worse than this one... and with a new stock I just don't concur (and if I can get an Embera native (while I am in Panama fishing in a few weeks) to make me a "custom ox yoke" or "custom tiller handle" from coco bolo (legal import item "wink wink") she might become the only coco bolo wearing 721 on the planet.

4. Value? In lots of ways she was a free gun.
Browning A-5 traded for a Remmy 700 BDL in 7mm RM was about even IMHO... he threw in the 721 to lock down the deal.

"There are much better rifles than the old 721's for hunting..."

I concur maybe (I haven't hunted with this one yet). I already have many such rifles.

...BUT since we seem to be eat up with pink elephant sitings here as of late in Woodbridge, VA... a man can never be too careful when it comes to protecting his family... thus the NEED for a semi-big bore.

Ever heard a rumor last week about loose Cape Buffalo near the shopping mall... at least that is what I told my wife.

.400 Whelen is out, just too wildcat for this dumb country boy.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/01/15.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.