Originally Posted by Dave93
Cash........that 721 of yours would make a great donor for a 9.3x62. Warren Page had a 721 chambered in .375 Weatherby that he rebarreled 2 or 3 times. Used that bad boy on buffalo and elephant with nary a problem that I recall.

I would love something in that category, but I am guessing the donor was a .300 H&H (i.e. LOA and all). I keep looking, but the "math", FPS, and energy keeps sending me back to 9.3x62.

The .400 Wehlen was in the running for a short bit, but just a bit too wildcat for me... and that this will be an heirloom gun for one of my sons... I just hate thinking long term about one of them NOT GETTING THE HEADSPACE MEMO.

Edit:

Mart, I DO appreciate the re-emphasis on the .400 Whelen and will put on my thinking cap again... the big pro to the 9.3 though is that brass and ammo are just 4 mouse clicks away... and quite reasonable.

And if I bob the barrel to 18"+/- pretty much anything bigger could begin to have excessive recoil for the boys (in such a light rifle) until they realize the receiving end is always far worse than the sending end. I am not recoil sensitive myself... at least thus far, that I have noticed.

Re: Remington detractor??? Say it isn't so! Had a guy bad mouth my Cummins 12 valve once too.

Edit #2... I have a .45-70 (Ruger #1), four 458 Socoms (I built two rifles and two pistols) and a .50 Beowulf as well... so the .400 Whelen "math" is kinda already in my collection.

Mart... you think the .400W would feed as well as the 9.3x62?

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/01/15.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.