Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Paul39
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I like Acraglas for final skim coats, thinking that takes care of shrinkage of the main bedding mass.
Paul

This is the reason to use something like Devcon (I use the aluminum version): it shrinkage is absolutely minimal -- making the skim coat unnecessary.

For a pro who counts time, not having to do a second coat justifies the extra expense (which for the Devcon aluminum is pretty reasonable to begin with).

That is an interesting take, and a matter of preference and priorities. It's along the lines of what "works" for different folks.

I first began using Devcon, both F-1 and F-2 aluminum, on the advice and writings of Bob Pease, who was primarily in benchrest circles. He absolutely recommended F-1 for a base, and the thinner F-2 for a skim coat. Also insisted on three days of curing time for each step. The most accurate rifle I ever owned was bedded by Bob.

No doubt time is money, and has to be paid for. That's why a customer and gunsmith have to be crystal clear on standards and expectations. There is no "one size fits all", or agreement on what is "the best".

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.