I'll agree with Steelhead on this one. People who denigrate aperture sights never gave them a fair shake, or chose the easy way out when their eyes started to go south on them. My 62 year old eyes are as bad as anybody's here, and most of my hunting/shooting is with aperture rear sights. (Why? Because like JB said, it's fun.) There are many tricks to employ that allow one to do that, if one has the desire to learn.

I have a couple hunting rifles that are scoped via Griffin&Howe QD mounts, but with those rifles the scope is actually the backup sighting system secondary to the receiver sight main sighting systems. The scope is carried either in a day pack or in a leather tube slung over my shoulder. I too don't eat my heart out if I have to pass up a shot in low light due to inability to see the sights.

Where I do rely on scopes is with varmint rifles and one particular squirrel rifle, with which to make precision hits on little beady brown eyes peeking out through tiny openings that I can't even see with the naked eye. I guess that re-inforces some sentiments expressed here earlier.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty