In rereading the post title, I guess that I need to change my answer somewhat.The apparent intent of the post was a what distance was a scope "needed".The answer to that question has more possible answers than the obamacare bill has pages.My answer was based on preference and not on need. When answering the "need" question, I will make an attempt a somewhat intelligent response. When just plinking,or taking small game at reasonable ranges and lighting,iron sights/aperture sights are fun to use and certainly have their place.I do some handgun hunting with open sights,but pick my hunt terrain and lighting with my limitations in mind,and only then when we have elk in the freezer. If my primary objective is to put meat on the table or a possible trophy animal,I want every advantage I can put into my arsenal.This may mean hunting until last light,or in heavy timber/brush where poor lighting or picking a hole to shoot through is more probable than possible. I guess it all boils down to,if I'm serious or merely having fun! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/25/15.