Originally Posted by obie458
Thanks you all the great advice.
Although she wasn't able to shoot the Ruger she really liked the way the compact stock felt. The question is what to get. Would it be ridiculous to get a standard American with a 22" barrel and put a compact stock on it? I'm thinking that especially in .243 the 18" barrel would increase blast and cut performance. What would be better full power .243 loads or reduced 7mm-08 loads?

She is small dude...you look like a pro basketball player standing next to her...:)

There are a lot of good great rifle choices available to you, but again...for what you guys are doing it won't matter.

A 308 or 7-08 down-loaded to 30-30 levels with 4895 or faster powder will have minimal recoil and muzzle blast and will work just as well or better than the 30-30 she is using now...I vote for much better!

As to recoil, the better stock design of the Ruger will minimize recoil as well.

My choice would be a Stainless Ruger Compact in 308, but 7-08 is also a great choice, and either of those two calibers are excellent performers in a shorter barrel.

Unless you are shooting regularly at long range, barrel length is more about how the rifle feels and balances. I don't have any that short, but 16" 308s regularly perform well at the 1000 yard line, and I seem to remember that the 7-08 was originally released in the 18" Rem Model 7...another very good option for a person of small stature.

Anyway, I'd be very confident with either one.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...