Originally Posted by Pete E
Are there any AR's out there today that have the same style stock and fore end as the original M16?

While I have no doubt these modern AR's shoot well, to me they look like something out of a mechano set that a kid has put together and I much prefer the look of the original M16..

Pete,
My agency was one of those who was able to benefit from the military DRMO program. Back in 2004, we got one order of M-16A1's and then one more for a total of about 300 rifles.

Some were packaged in foil bags and the lower receivers marked AR-15 and M-16. These had the triangle handguards and birdcage flash suppressors. All seemed to have forward assist, but had A1 configuration rear sights. They also had 1-12" twists and will only stabilize 55 grain bullets. Some had rubber buttplates and others had trapdoor buttplates which were designed to hold a cleaning kit.

During that time, I was one of three agency armorers, and was tasked with changing out the rear sight to an Ashley same plane rear with ghost ring, removing the auto sear and replacing the selector switch. Effectively, we removed the full auto function and installed a more user friendly rear sight.

My son happened to be out of school that summer and got to spend quite a bit of time with me at work, while we worked on those rifles. He came to like the looks of the M-16A1 and wanted one for his own.

I bought a Rock River Arms lower receiver and began searching the gunshows for parts. Eventually, I was able to piece together a replica M-16 with triangle handguards, trapdoor stock, slick sided upper and 3 prong flash hider. He still claims that rifle.

It shoots 55 grain Federal Trophy Bonded bullets very well at 50 and 100 yards. I wouldn't mind hunting deer with it, but just haven't made the time yet.

Maybe one day he will.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis