Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
now i am not use to but do see it seems anymore people begging for money at every corner, saw a new one today.
Black male teenager with a backpack, outside the local walmart store. He was waiting till elderly white people were busy loading the back of the s.u.v., then hitting them up for money.
There is white guilt you know, maybe.
Funny, when he saw me he detoured, i was kind of insulted not having the chance to get the h*ll out of my space.

I was also at a 7/11 by my house last wee, a new arrival mexicano was sitting on a concrete pillor outside the store.
When i can out he started to ask me for a ride, i was rude, and said whichever way he was going, i wasn't going. Then i noticed the cellphone with a power cord on it. He had unplugged the ice machine in front of the store to charge his cellphone. American today.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We spent a month in Tucson maybe 10 years ago, which was about 2 weeks too long. There were moochers and panhandlers on virtually every corner, some intersections would also have them on the divider.

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Saw a news story yesterday about some scumbag in Houston who's a regular fixture on one street corner, begging for money... he was arrested for drunk & disorderly, and he had over $8000 in cash on him.

Woman in LA a couple years back was outed on TV... she's a bag lady by day, begging on the corner, but then she drives home to her mansion in the Hollywood Hills in a Caddy.

Street beggars have been around since money was invented. It's truly the world's oldest profession.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
personally I'm a fan of the 2nd oldest profession

speakin of which, hey Doc Rocket, you got any spare change? (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
personally I'm a fan of the 2nd oldest profession

speakin of which, hey Doc Rocket, you got any spare change? (grin)

Don't you mean spare Penicillin? smirk

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lordsburg, Deming and Las Cruces, being on I-10. are the worst. Every gas station has at least one. I finally quit filling up at one station just off the interstate in Las Cruces, because I got tired of being hit up for "five dollars for gas to get me to (fill in the blank)". Sometimes as many as three different people approached me while the tank was filling. It's the same at all the exits on I-25 in Cruces, as well. It's almost like they have a union--they just work from nine to five...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have them here in this town and only on street corners over in the Treasure Valley.
When I did live where beggars would approach, as soon I as I saw them approaching I would say "No!", if they continued my way I would again say, I SAID NO!!!" in as ornery sounding voice as possible. That would stop them 99% plus of the time.

Just a good way to be venerable and get robbed, is to let vermin walk up to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see any in Lewiston but there are a few permanent fixtures at the Wall Mart entrance's over in Clarkston.

Thing I've noticed over the years is the Mesicans line up at Home Depot every morning asking for work.
Whites line up at Wall Mart asking for a hand out.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
one of the things i have noticed as years have gone by is the difference in people. I use to run down to mexico all the time.
until one day after spending a 200 dollar chunk on shrimp i heard this mexican mouthing off in spanish, which i understood. He said mexico didn't want the gringo's down there, stay up there. My thought was okay, i will, why don't you do the same. You could see it from years ago on the streets of nogales, where everybody was friendly, to the surly looks you get today.
I see that in a lot of minorities today too, i was seeing it in the faces of those black hooligans in mckinley. They know the system, black is a hall pass in a lot of areas. I wouldn't want to be a cop in those minority areas today for nothing. The question nobody raised on the mckinley thread how did this black woman/kid move from chitcao to a high rent district in texas. I wonder where the money is coming from. And the kid is running these scams. Just your friendly neighbor the prez says as the same concerns as you or me. Or maybe not.
From what i understand, they were having a problem within the fryies kroeger stores, people panhandling IN the stores.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Black male teenager with a backpack, outside the local walmart store. He was waiting till elderly white people were busy loading the back of the s.u.v., then hitting them up for money

Most of the time this is just a diversion . Real goal is his buddies taking what they can grab out of the vehicle.

IC B3

srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure Doc, Pure urban legend BULL!

Last edited by srp; 06/10/15.

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've dealt with a lot of homeless people. Most of them could make decent money panhandling, IF they functioned like normal people.

But they don't. 99.999% of the people you see suffer from extreme mental illness or severe drug addiction. The money they earn isn't going into a 401K, and you're kidding yourself if you think they're doing well in life.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've dealt with a lot of homeless people. Most of them could make decent money panhandling, IF they functioned like normal people.

But they don't. 99.999% of the people you see suffer from extreme mental illness or severe drug addiction. The money they earn isn't going into a 401K, and you're kidding yourself if you think they're doing well in life.

And on any given night, a third of them spend the night at the local Detox.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It's the new Obama America guys. Get used to it. Out where I live there are no beggars. They are wasting their time where I live. Tons of self employed people , and hard work is the norm . We are so old fashioned here that hardly anyone at the bank will use the ATM. We all walk in at the bank my wife worked at.

Last edited by ihookem; 06/10/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There's one in Austin, IIRC Palmer and Loop 1 on the north side, an old, bearded White guy with a belly. His sign reads... "I ain't gonna lie, I need the money for beer and cigarettes."

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
There's the one-legged gal at I-35&CameronRd off and
on for the last 20yrs. "Help! On my last leg!"

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I get torqued with the ones with the homeless, disabled vet signs. They don't like being asked about their unit, MOS, or dates of service.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For a project, there was a gal in my son's senior class, who videoed herself ( with the help of friends) spending the weekend at Walmart's Parking Lot, with a sign asking for donations for her college fund for school "this coming fall".....

The scope was to see the public's response, if she would be successful or not, and the main goal to see what the response of the resident panhandlers that work Walmart and several of the other local stores that tolerate them...

The panhandler ones were really belligerent to her, yelling at her for invading 'their turf', etc.... they have their own little union.. one will occupy a spot for a while, then go sit in the shade, and let someone else have it for a while, tell they want to sit in the shade....

to get a rise out of our local panhandlers, is to tell them to get a job.... they really start cursing you when you tell them that...

When I am approached, I tell them NO before they open their mouth and ask in a not so friendly tone.. don't you people ever get tired of harassing the public????

what pisses me off the most , is with their little signs ending in God Bless.... yeah, these people are about as religious as Saddam Hussein was...

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
There's one in Austin, IIRC Palmer and Loop 1 on the north side, an old, bearded White guy with a belly. His sign reads... "I ain't gonna lie, I need the money for beer and cigarettes."

Our neighbor, poor lady, "accidently" ran over just such a person at this intersection a few years back!! Devestated her as she is such a nice person. Naturally the scum sucker made out like a Bandit in Austin.
What put all the mental cases on the streets here is when governor Ann Richards (d) closed down the vast majority of mental institutions and basically privatized the program. I hired a guy who was an employee of one of the former institutions on the east side of Austin (Travis State School). He said he constantly saw former patients in one of two places. On the street corner or in the obits!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/11/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mart
I get torqued with the ones with the homeless, disabled vet signs. They don't like being asked about their unit, MOS, or dates of service.

I am pretty sure that homeless, disabled vets exist.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.