Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
School garden.

Down here we can get hammered by squash vine borers so we are always looking for something resistant. But dang when you WANT the damned things ain't a vine borer to be seen this year after burying us the last two.

But I digress....

This is a "small sugar pumpkin" from Burpee, advertised as borer-resistant. Turns out they do well on our alkaline soil, the vine was planted from seed on April 6th, 64 days ago.

[Linked Image]

Its about as big as its gonna get.

Question is, when do I harvest it? Do I wait for the stem to dry out?

Because of various critters out there I'd rather collect it sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pie is served! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Up here we wait for the frost to kill the vine, but I don't expect that's going to help you much. The rule I always hears was to tap it hard with your hand. If it sounds hollow it's ready.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i order me some of those giant pumpkin seeds, they were pretty pricey about a buck a piece but this strain grows the largest, some to over a 1000#.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I remember right, all squash fall within Cucurbita argyrosperma, ficifolia, maxima, moschata, or pepo. Pumpkins fall in the one or two species that vine borers don't care much for. Not saying they won't hit them, but they usually go for the other species of summer squash and zucchini.

You know pumpkins are ready when the green stem starts to get hard and turn woody and brown. Other indicators is if the tendril across from the stem shrivels up and dies or the plant starts to yellow and die. I leave mine on the vine till the end of September or so and pick before a frost hits em. There's really no reason to pick early unless there's a bug problem or a weather problem. I like them to stay on the vine and collect all the water and sugar they can before picking. I'd say a minimum of 90 days, 120 if you can stand it...

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Every seed packet has a 'days to maturity' number on it. Why not look there?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
If I remember right, all squash fall within Cucurbita argyrosperma, ficifolia, maxima, moschata, or pepo. Pumpkins fall in the one or two species that vine borers don't care much for. Not saying they won't hit them, but they usually go for the other species of summer squash and zucchini.

You know pumpkins are ready when the green stem starts to get hard and turn woody and brown. Other indicators is if the tendril across from the stem shrivels up and dies or the plant starts to yellow and die. I leave mine on the vine till the end of September or so and pick before a frost hits em. There's really no reason to pick early unless there's a bug problem or a weather problem. I like them to stay on the vine and collect all the water and sugar they can before picking. I'd say a minimum of 90 days, 120 if you can stand it...
Pumpkins are
C. pepo. Believe it or not, they're the same species as zucchini and will cross readily.

Here in so. Idaho, they ripen in early Oct. but they're generally not planted until early June.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably 100 - 110 days to harvest, they need time to develop sugar once they get to size.
If you have the seed package it should tell you, or check 'Burpee' online.

Last edited by DesertSandman; 06/13/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i order me some of those giant pumpkin seeds, they were pretty pricey about a buck a piece but this strain grows the largest, some to over a 1000#.

This is from a couple years ago, not grown from the monster seeds, but some 'giant' variety the only seed I could find at the time (last minute whim). Some reached 150+ lbs.

Basketball in foreground for scale
[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Roger, what do you do with those pumpkins?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Our bugs must operate under different rules, they've absolutely hammered our Algonquin Pumpkins in years past. Summer squash too, but with yellow crookneck at least you can generally get a first round of squash before the borers ramp up.

Thanks for the info.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by onefunzr2
Every seed packet has a 'days to maturity' number on it. Why not look there?

Ain't that like reading the instructions?

This is a school garden, it becomes a PITA at this point when I ain't there to water it unless I go do that.

Anyhow, last frost down here is March 3rd, and sun intensity and heat ramp up so much here by late May/Early June my experience has been tings go faster.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eyeball

just to grow one.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Our bugs must operate under different rules, they've absolutely hammered our Algonquin Pumpkins in years past. Summer squash too, but with yellow crookneck at least you can generally get a first round of squash before the borers ramp up.

Thanks for the info.

Mix up some Tide at same ratio as in washing machine and spray it on 'em. Works better than insecticides but you have to reapply after each rain.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by eyeball

just to grow one.

Takes more than just a seed to grow 1000# one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The green undertones and dark green stem throws a red flag IMO, doubtful the sugars are up to par as well. We treat pumpkins the same as our winter squash and wait for the vines to dry.Picked early they will never fully ripen correctly.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.