Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Looking for a new hunting scope. I am torn between purchasing one of the Leupolds in the 2- 12 range or I am also considering the Nightforce 3 -10 SHV.

How has your Leupold been holding up? If you bought your Leupold before the Nightforce came out, would you consider buying it now?

I am not concerned about the weight difference but more so the quality and longevity of the unit.

Thanks

WM

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wondermutt,

To start with, I have no experience in the magnification range you are considering. On the other hand I certainly have experience with higher magnification range scopes.

To me the Nightforce is in a class above the Leupold as far as glass is concerned. They are better for discerning detail during daylight and last longer in low light situations.

To hear the vast majority of poster with experience, there's nothing better than the Nightforce for reliability.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have two of the VX-6 line. One 2-12, the other 3-18. They are very very fine scopes. I will buy more.

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was helping a friend set up his 3-18 yesterday. It is a beautiful piece of glass, but it does exhibit some Leupold tracking tendencies...not moving as dialed or doing the right, left, right Leupold dance.

After about a box and half of 300 Win ammo it was starting to settle down and was holding zero. I would not give up on it yet if it were mine, but I will not buy one.

I would take the NF over the Leupold. You also might want to look at the new Bushnell LRHS since Bushnell is giving a one year window in which you can return it for a full refund if you don't like it.

405wcf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You also might want to look at the new Bushnell LRHS since Bushnell is giving a one year window in which you can return it for a full refund if you don't like it.

A word about Bushnell's refund. I bought a 4 /2-30X50 from them. I was not satisfied after a few weeks and returned it with the receipt. Since the insurance was listed on the receipt, they included that amount on the refund check. I took that money and purchased anther, which I kept. It is outstanding during regular hunting light.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have two of the 3-18 versions and an SHV 3-10 and 5-20.
When I got the VX6 scope I turned the turrets back and forth several times before mounting as well as the power ring. I didn't check for movement just twisted the turret to the top then to the bottom, top, bottom. I then mounted the scope, sighted it in at 100 yards then 200 yards. After that I dialed and shot two rounds each at 400, 600 and 800 then back to 200 for a 3 shot group to check return to zero. The scope moved perfectly at each range.

Quite often before I shoot the rifle I dial up 20 moa then back to 0 and my first shot is always where it should be. I can't speak for the longevity since I have not had them long enough but so far I am really liking them. The glass is great and they are functioning as they should so far.

Same goes for the SHV, no problems and very happy with them also.

If I could only own one or the other I would probably take the Nightforce in the power range you are considering.

The weight of the 3-18 vx6 is about the same as the 3-10 SHV so if considering those two I would choose the VX6 for the parallax adjustment and extra power on the top end. I have the MOAR in the SHV's and the TMOA in the VX6.

I probably made your decision harder but considering the SHV has a parallax adjustment and the VX6 2-12 does not makes the SHV 3-10 more attractive to me.

Either way I think you will be happy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't believe the 3-10x42 SHV has a side parallax adjustment, only the VX-6 does.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my 3-10x42 SHV does have a side parallax adjustment. The VX6 in 2-12 does not but the 3-18 vx6 does.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
thanks for getting me straightened out. I thought the SHV did not. My mistake.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a 1-6 VX6, the glass is good, the reticule is thick on this one and its a good low light device, the firedot works well, the power ring is very stiff, the clicks are not positive but it seems to track like its supposed to track. It is a good hunting scope, good close range scope for an AR15. Its no good for paper punching. I cannot tell you about holding zero as I have not abused it yet. In general for $1000 I expected better mechanical quality regards the power ring and the clicks. The next one I am going to buy probably is the Bushnell LRHS 3-12 x 44 it has parallax adjustment and a lot of people are talking about it. The only concern is the reticule which may be too fine for low light, so I would use it only for punching paper and target games.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.