-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guarentee, even though I am not that dependent on glasses there is a second pair with me in my shooting bag at all times!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Stick, and PDS
<br>
<br> So do you gentleman prefer .22lr handguns to .22lr rifles?
<br>
<br> So my I ask your opinion? I'm debating about how to best spend my gun money.
<br>
<br> I nice left hand .22lr rifle from Cooper has a cetain appeal with me. But so does getting my first centerfire deer rifle(30-06) w/ scope (Leupold). I'd probably like to get a McMillian stock for it(???). This later route my allow enough money left over for S&W 617 .22lr revolver as my rimfire firearm.
<br>
<br>
<br>So any advice?
<br>
<br> Leo

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My personal preference is definately with the rifle. I always liked pistols and I collected them pretty hard,especially in 22lr.
<br>
<br>I enjoyed the challenge of learning to shoot a pistol well,but have always viewed them with bias. Meaning I have always taken them as more of a novelty act,than as my mainstay. That is based solely on my personal preference and I do not mean to infer that remarkable things can't happen via a handgun. A pistol for me,is mostly for fun. The rifle is for when I'm truly serious about completing a given task.
<br>
<br>You gotta decide which appeals to you most and then pursue that. For what I like to do,the rifle is MUCH more flexible for me. I'd not purchase a good pistol,before I owned a good rifle,but again that is my subjective whim.
<br>
<br>The 617 is a pretty handy design,that is pretty classy to boot. Mine was 6" and had the 3 T's. It's been traded away too. Every now and again,I sorta miss it.....................
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to answer yes. I prefer a .22 rimfire hand gun to a .22 rimfire rifle. BUT..... It must be a hand gun of target grade accuracy.
<br>
<br>Any hunting I do that calls for a rimfire is small game at close distances. Rabbits, squirrles, racoons, and their sort. I can handle that kind of shooting with a hand gun out to 50 yards and have streched it out to 75 when a big old jack rabbit sits still for me. If I feel the need for more gun I go up to a .222 Rem. centerfire rifle. Not a .22 rimfire.
<br>
<br>The pistol is easy to carry in a holster and I carry extra loaded magazines for it when hunting. It is just handy. When I was fur hunting and trapping I always carried the pistol. A pizzed off bobcat in a leg hold trap needs a .22 rimfire round right now. And it is nice to be able to deliver it quickly with one hand. My favorite use of the .22 pistol was for collecting racoons out of the pecan trees. I could shine the flash light with one hand and shoot with the other. It worked out much better than trying to get a partner to hold the light where you need it to shine. The largest game I have taken with the rimfire pistol were javalina. We would basicaly run them with the pickup truck untill they slowed down to slide under the fences then jump out and head shoot them with the pistols.
<br>
<br>I feel that learning to shoot the .22 rimfire pistols made me a better shot with the rifle. It takes more practice to learn to shoot a pistol than a rifle, but you will learn to control your breathing, the trigger squeeze, and to keep focused on the front sight.
<br>
<br>Without a doubt you will shoot a rifle better than you will a handgun. But I have never felt the need to hunt with a rimfire rifle simply because I can do it with the handgun and it is much handier to carry.
<br>
<br>When I was just out of college and money was tight I bought a Ruger M77 in .270 Win with a leupold scope and a Ruger MK I .22 rimfire pistol. I paid $200 for the rifle, $150 for the scope, and $ 135 for the pistol. I had my deer rifle and I had a .22 rimfire too. I shot 500 rounds a month through the pistol during my shooting lessons and practice. That Cooper would be a nice rifle to own, but you can't hunt deer with it. pds
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Last edited by prairie dog shooter; 10/21/02.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Leo,
<br>
<br>See? Goes to prove a man needs at least one good rifle AND pistol in 22lr!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BigStick and PDS,
<br>
<br> I found a gunshop that has a used left handed Rem 700 BDL in .270 w/ 4X Redfield scope for $460+tax. Another gunshop has slightly used left hand Rem 700 BDL in .30-06 for $450 + tax.
<br>
<br> Does the .270 sound like a better deal? How good are Redfield scopes? Or is your prefer for .30-06. I'm from western Pennsylvania, hunting whitetail---if this info helps
<br>
<br>
<br> How much does a McMillian stock go for? I mean ready to go, just dropped in your action and barrel type stock.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my opinion $450 is too much for a used BDL. However $470 with a Redfield scope is a better deal,but still not sizzling in my opinion.
<br>
<br>I'm not a Redfield fan,though I've had quite a few and have never failed one. They just aren't really to my liking,more than my having real issues against them.
<br>
<br>McMillan sells stocks ready to roll(complete drop-ins) for $300 on their "Internet Specials" list. A very good deal,in my opinion,as I think they are without peer at any price. McMillan Internet Specials Page
<br>
<br>I'm neither a 270 nor 30-06 man,so I'm the wrong guy to take sides in that issue. I'd be inclined to opt either a 7-08 or 308................
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What Stick said.
<br>
<br>I did buy a stock from McMillan's internet special recently. It is sitting here right now waiting for the brown truck to deliver my barreled action.
<br>
<br>It is a Remington - Sako hunter style. Black paint, which is what most of the specials are. It is drop in ready with pad and sling studs. I stuck a 300 Win Mag in it and shot it at the range before sending that action to Pac-Nor. It is a great handle, recoil from the 300 Mag felt about the same as my 20 ga. shot gun. It should be very tame with the new 7mm Rem Mag installed.
<br>
<br>.270 or 30-06 ? Man, books have been written on that topic! I don't think a deer would care for either. I had that same choice two weeks ago when Wal-Mart had two pre J lock walnut stocked ADL's on sale. I would have bought both of them but a friend wanted one too. I got first choice. I went home with the .270. [Linked Image]
<br>

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leo,
<br>
<br>I hunt in Centre Co. PA. I don't think it is much different in the western part of the state. Either would be a great round in PA. Given my choice I would hunt with the .270, but that would be just to break away from the '06 crowd. but as stated earlier ... I'm sure those PA whitetails would hate either choice.
<br>
<br>Good Luck with either,
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bigstick, PDS and Avagadro,
<br>
<br>
<br>As far a caliber choice, I'm limited due to being a southpaw. So it's between these two calibers: .270 or .30-06.
<br>
<br>
<br>What would be a good price for a use left hand Rem M700 BDL?
<br>
<br>What you offer for the .270 w/ redfield scope?
<br>
<br>what you offer for the .30-06 w/o scope?
<br>
<br>I'm going to take a look at the .270 w/ redfield this friday. Appreciate it if you gentlemen could give me your advice beore then.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br> Leo

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leo,
<br>
<br>A lot depends on what you can offer for the rifle this close to hunting season in PA (or here in TX!). Is the rifle used and being sold by the dealer or is it a consignment gun? If it is a consignment gun then the dealer usually has to contact the seller to see if they will take less and this takes time (time when someone else might snatch it). If it is being sold by the dealer as a used rifle it may give you some more lattitude for haggling. The problem is this close to dear season some dealers won't bend a whole lot (supply and demand thing) unless you can convince them U may find buy the "one" at the other shop.
<br>
<br>Given the time of the year in PA the price for the .270 sounds fair (not great ... but very fair). The bottom line is it may not be a deal for anyone on this board ... because we aren't looking for one. You are looking for one so as long as you don't feel as if you are being cheated .... then its a good deal!!!
<br>
<br>If you could wait until Feb or march when the rifle buying dies down some you may catch a better deal.
<br>
<br>Just my very humble opinion. Good Luck!!!
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Several of our customers have purchased Ruger 10/22 Target models (factory ) with laminated stocks, heavy hammer forged barrels, put inexpensive Simmons, Bushnell, or BSA 3x9 or 4x12 scopes on them and brought in single, ragged hole 10 shot group targets shot from 25 yards or more!
<br> Other very accurate models include the Marlin 2000 Target model, Marlin 81TS, and Ruger 77/22 Target Model. Another customer recently purchased (from another shop) an Izhmash model Sobol 22 target rifle made by Izhmash of Russia. I was very impressed with it's features, especially the unique straight pull "toggle or crank" operated bolt that allows the shooter to shoot repeatedly without head movement or losing sight picture to operate a typical bolt action. You can get more info on the Izhmash website about all their other models including the Biathalon models and full line of centerfire models. I know I just gotta have one of those cranklever bolt target rifles for my collection!

Glockblaster ........ Helping make America a safer place to live.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should look at getting a reddot sight. I like the optima 2000, but they are not available from Tasco any more. You just put the dot on your target and pull the trigger. Your eyesight won't be a problem.
<br>
<br>Conrad

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend you look at the following:
<br>
<br>Sako Finnfire
<br>Winchester 52 (new ones)
<br>Volquartzen 10/22
<br>Kimber
<br>Ruger 10/22
<br>Thompson Center Classic 22
<br>Anshutez
<br>

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DGR,
<br>
<br>Make any choices yet on the .22?
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sucks to be a southpaw. I wasn't willing to pay the extra for a BDL (since remington won't make a lefty ADL), and ended up getting a Ruger instead.
<br>
<br>I got it new and a fair scope for about the $450 you're talking about. Are you set on remington? It may be worth looking at some of the other lefty rifles.
<br>
<br>And...I bought a browning buckmark before I got a .22 rifle. I love it (still do, and 2 buddies have since bought one too), but when it came time to play tip the cans over, the guys with the rifles didn't leave me with much to do.

DGR160 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to all of you for your opinions regarding my question. I had narrowed my choices to the Marlin 39A and the Ruger 77/22, and finally to the Ruger when fate stepped in and made the choice for me in an odd way. My neighbor, who knows nothing and cares nothing about firearms, and doesn't shoot or hunt, just for something to do went to a local gun bash. As fate would have it he bought the last ticket and won a Marlin 39A. He brought the gun to my house to show me and while he was there he noticed a chair that was in my living room. Since I had too much furniture I had been trying to sell it at a garage sale, with no luck. We traded even up the chair for the 39A. I got rid of something I didn't need, and got something that I wanted. He got something he wanted and got rid of something he had no use for. Didn't cost either of us one penny, and each of us is happy with the trade. Funny how things sometimes work out. Now I am considering either a Williams peep sight, or a Leupold 2-7 X 28 scope. Thanks again to all of you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thats what I call double good luck. Once for each of you, enjoy the extra room and a nice rifle.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have this old green sofa ..... anyone??
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
DGR160 : Most of these guys seem to go for the Rem Win or Ruger but i think the most bang for your buck is the CZ 452. It is amazingly accurate, easily 1/2" at 50 with most decent ammo and has a nice trigger, wood is also nicely proportioned for an adult male shooter and balances beautifully. It points and shoots like a custom gun and you can find them around 300.00 depending on model. I have both the 22 mag and 22 lr, And like them so much i am thinking of getting rid of my Ruger 77/22. Built of all steel and walnut these are built to take rough use plus the iron sights are excellent. Just my opinion, But you can't do better. Swede96.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,338
Posts18,526,811
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.