Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
OP Offline
D
I know of "boar taint" which describes an unpleasant taste in the meat of non-castrated pigs. Which left me wondering more broadly: Are there other animals whose meat (from an animal of the same age on the same diet) tastes different depending on whether it came from a male or a female of the species?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deer

Old buck might as well grind it all

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A buck mule deer in rut will taste differently to my taste buds than a muley doe

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Elk for sure, pass the cow meat any day over a bull.

Deer too...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's been my experience that deer and antelope taste different depending on what they've been eating, not so much as in buck/doe.

I've killed bucks in rut in the sage that were as tender, odorless, and flavorful as one could imagine. I've also killed does/yearling bucks standing belly deep in alfalfa or near feed pens that had rolls of fat on them that were tough and stank to high heaven.

For me, deer and antelope killed in their natural habitat taste better than those killed around alfalfa or other non-native grasses/feed.

I've not killed elk in hay meadows so can't say if the above hold true for elk.

This observation was pointed out by a friend long ago and it's held true for me.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
rumor has it that a qick kill taste better that a animal that runs off from a bad shot. I wouldn't know never had one run off

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Goat and sheep, definitely.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Personally I think most "bad" taste is from sloppy/improper cleaning/processing

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ldholton

I don't know if that's true when talking gender differences but I'd agre on another level. Lots of times I'll see deer, split open and riding on a bumper rack on the high way during deer season. It's catching every bug, chunk of salt and road dust there is on the 100 mile ride home before you take it to be butchered. No wonder it tastes "gamey". It's like licking a snow plow by the time it gets to "cousin earl" to make steaks.

Me

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by teal

I don't know if that's true when talking gender differences but I'd agre on another level. Lots of times I'll see deer, split open and riding on a bumper rack on the high way during deer season. It's catching every bug, chunk of salt and road dust there is on the 100 mile ride home before you take it to be butchered. No wonder it tastes "gamey". It's like licking a snow plow by the time it gets to "cousin earl" to make steaks.

I agree with you 100% I was leading to the idea that male and female anatomy are different , so when feild dressing .........

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I clean, age and put up my venison. I can't handle the bucks if they are well into the rut. Big bucks taken in October archery season off milo or sorghum are fat covered and tender and delicious.
Does are normally good all season.
I killed a rutting antelope once that stunk so bad I would puke and gut some more. I gave it away.

I have eaten bull elk on the hunt killed in Oct snow with no time to age. Taste was ok but really tough.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rumor has it that a qick kill taste better that a animal that runs off from a bad shot. I wouldn't know never had one run off

several years ago a fellow i hunt with killed a big boar hog (200# or so). I didn't even want to help skin it because I knew had bad it would stink. But he shot it grave yard dead in the head, said he didnt have a chance to bristle up. Know what, the meat was good, no boar smell at all.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Know what, the meat was good, no boar smell at all.

A lot of bad taste and smells can be transferred to the meat with careless handling. Cleaning your hands and knife, when needed, goes a long way to good meat. I know that it can't be avoided all the time, but I try to skip field dressing if possible. I would rather do it where I have water and a winch. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Elk for sure, pass the cow meat any day over a bull.

Deer too...

YES!

...and my NV cow elk tag showed up in the mail today!!

Buck mule deer aren't as good eating as does. They're stronger tasting.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Deer

Old buck might as well grind it all

As opposed to an old doe?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. IMO the old brood does taste fine. Must be cause they are corn feed.

Dave

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Goat and sheep, definitely.

Back in 2008 whilst hunting in northern BC outside of Toad River I had the good fortune of having a mixed dinner of tenderloin from elk, moose, mountain goat and Stone sheep. Hands down the Stone was the best. Here at home I won't eat goat and rarely lamb.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There is NO way that cock tastes like pussy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

several years ago a fellow i hunt with killed a big boar hog (200# or so). I didn't even want to help skin it because I knew had bad it would stink. But he shot it grave yard dead in the head, said he didnt have a chance to bristle up. Know what, the meat was good, no boar smell at all.

This^^^, has happend many times.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There is NO way that cock tastes like pussy.

I was waiting for a post like this to come up.

Laughing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 257Bob, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.