Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#100240 10/16/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone have any experience with actions that have been hard chromed? How about any other recommendations for an all-weather finish for a blued action?
<br>
<br>2nd

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had couple of 700s plated with what is called metal life or techalloy.Which is a type of chrome plating.Its a glass bead type of finish that holds up pretty well and is very slick.I have found that it can tarnish or rust but never very much.The other plating I've used is called electroless nickle.This stands up to the weather pretty well has a dull non reflective finish.And if it starts to get crappy looking a scotch bright pad can make it look like new in no time.
<br>dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ah, the benefits of an Internet search. How about adding the Robar NP3 all weather finish to the action. Has anyone done this? What was the cost?
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2nd,When I had Dave Tooley build my 25 Booboo last year I passed on the NP3 finish.It was like 300+ bucks.Im sure its great stuff.I just didnt want to pay the bucks for it.
<br>dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you are going to keep your rifle more than 5 minutes Robar is a great option....if you don't want to do all the metal work, just have them do the internals...makes is slicker than owl snot.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had an Interarms Mk X action with stainless barrel hard chromed about four years ago.After generally abused it since then without managing to leave a mark on it.Occasionally wipe it down with break free with the other guns out of habit.Surface finish is very hard, does not scratch or scuff. Lubricity of the chrome slicked up the bolt considerably.Mine is bruched finish which looks about like stainless.I would, and probably will, do it again.Regards,Frank.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to all for the replies. I have a couple of blued actions that are getting stainless barrels, and I just thought it would be nice to weatherize the actions as well.
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Centurion,
<br>
<br>If you don't mind me asking, who did your action?
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Checkmate did my rifle but if I were to do it today I would use Fords Custom Gun Refinishing and Plating in Florida.Believe their number is 352-344-8707. The talent behind the polishing and plating is now with that firm.Regards,Frank.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
2nd,
<br>Over the last week I have acquired the rights to market Ultracem to the civilian firearms market. I initially went after this process as a bore coating but found it is also remarkable as a surface finish. This process outperforms chrome, nickel, even the PVD/CVD coatings like Titanium Nitride. Here's a link for the specs:
<br>
<br>http://www.universalchemical.com/products/ultracem/properties_printable.asp
<br>
<br>Last Friday we tested an M4 full auto carbine with this coating and found we could pump round after round through it with the mechanism dry. No grease. The lubricity of the coating eliminated the need for the dirt and debris attracting grease or oil.
<br>
<br>Pricing for a matte finished barreled action will be in the area of $175 plus freight with a 2 week turn around time.
<br>

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike:
<br>
<br>This is very timely for me. I'm in process of building a "minimalist" rifle with a S/S action but a c/moly bbl. I'd like a high wear/ rust resistant finish. Some other rifles that I have wear Teflon, I've been satisfied w/the rust/corrosion resistance, but not the adhesion and wear properties.
<br>
<br>Would this finish be suitable for the goal that I have in mind??
<br>
<br>JimF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim,
<br>Checkmate probably summarized it best:
<br>
<br>"Teflon is like your frying pan. Miraculous in the beginning, but not very long lasting. Your guns have to be parkerized (on steel) or anodized (on aluminum) before they are Teflon coated. In truth these finishes are the real wear givers, not the Teflon overcoat."
<br>
<br>Ultracem has a coefficient of friction of 0.08 and super adhesion properties. Metallurgical bond to substrates exceeds known bond tests.
<br>Wear resistance beats tungsten carbide.
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>image courtesy of UCT.
<br>
<br>In short, Yes this coating will meet and exceed your needs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike:
<br>
<br>Thanks you're on.............
<br>
<br>Should I ask the barrelmaker to do the finsh or do you want to apply the bead/particle blast yourself??
<br>
<br>BBl/action s/be done in 6-8 weeks, you'll get it soon after that. I'll have it sent direct to you from Kreiger.
<br>
<br>JimF
<br>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim,
<br>I'd prefer to do the surface prep myself. My email addy is listed in my profile here. We can solidify the details through PM's or emails.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Carbonman-can you advise the color of this coating and if you can coat things as long as a rifle barrel?TIA Frank.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Frank,
<br>The natural color is a very non-reflective tan/grey. One can easily lose a weapon if it is laid down in the field. The color can be manipulated to a wide spectrum, however, this is a future offering and not in the current product.
<br>
<br>Size is not an issue. The capabilities include 6" Naval cannon if you have the need.
<br>
<br>I'll get an image posted as soon as possible. The digital camera took a powder, I'll get images loaded to this thread within a couple days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen:
<br>
<br>Juts wanted to let everyone know that after having dealt with Mike recently, you all are dealing with a top-notch guy. He built me a little number in .300 Winchester we call "Mona," and she'll be released from her FFL incarceration tomorrow. In the meantime, here's her picture:
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I'll be bedding her tomorrow. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Rick
<br>
<br>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
ktg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mike, I have an action being rebarrelled which hopefully will be finished in a couple months. I have been looking for a plating for corrosion resistance since the action is not stainless. I would be interested in pics and timeframe for other colors. Thanks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Finally getting to uploading an image of this process. Here's an example of Ultracem. Sorry for the greasy fingerprints.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 77 invisible), 3,354 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,633
Posts18,533,253
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.