Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been running forklifts, skid loaders, wheel loaders and boom trucks most of my life. Usually, once you get comfortable with them, they become part of your body and you don't really have to think about which lever to pull or push. It just comes natural. Most types of machinery is basically the same from one unit to another except truck booms. It seems like every crane I own has different controls, so I always try to keep the same driver on each unit whenever possible. They'll be quicker and more efficient that way.

I'm a certified forklift trainer so that when I hire new guys I can train them myself. It seems like every guy has a different learning curve, but most get it eventually. It never fails though, every now and then I come across a guy that's unteachable.

When I was a kid and took out my first load on a boom truck, thought I was hot chitt and forgot to put my outriggers down. It was an old drywall crane where you'd sit up on top. Lifted the 1st pallet off and swung it off to the side and when it started going over, I released the controls and was going to jump. But when I let go, the boom swung all the way out and stopped the truck up on 2 wheels. So I let it down and had to climb down and clean out my britches.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Y'all may see it differently, but it appears to me that cranes get the nod from observers, while the operators vote for the dirt workers.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got boom trucks, but real cranes are dangerous. You've got to know the geometry of how much your lifting and how far out. I wouldn't like to do it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by johnw
From my perspective (not an operator) it has to be the cranes. The operator has more responsibility and concerns than any other piece of equipment.

Seldom would a mistake on a grader, hoe, or any other piece of equipment have the potential to hazard as many workers on a site as what the cranes do.

I have flagged the long stick rigs, often in the blind, and the operators who are good at it are nothing short of amazing.

I agree with you, but I can be on the phone this afternoon and have multiple good crane operators here tomorrow at 7:AM. That's whether it's a hydro, conventional or tower. I've not had that luck getting a good blade hand.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Most crane operators don't just operate cranes, last job I was on had to go from crane to semi, to auger, to back-hoe back and forth every day & night through out the job working split shifts 6 on 6 off around-the-clock throughout the week, load, transport and place the rebar cages, drill 6' dia. holes 60' deep, load the dirt and trench, even assist in building forms and pouring the concrete.

Phil

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Most crane operators don't just operate cranes, last job I was on had to go from crane to semi, to auger, to back-hoe back and forth every day & night through out the job working split shifts 6 on 6 off around-the-clock throughout the week, load, transport and place the rebar cages, drill 6' dia. holes 60' deep, load the dirt and trench, even assist in building forms and pouring the concrete.

Phil

"Talented sumbitch, ain't you?"

I've forgotten the movie that line is from. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did love rigging and flying iron. It helped that I took the time early on to memorize the hand signals and the geometry placards on the machines. Pretty soon I was the ground guy or high guy on everything. If we had some big reaches, we'd get out the calculators and pencils before the pick started just to be sure.
It was a pretty mental game, which is why I enjoyed it so. Having operators who could respond immediately and exactly, who you could trust with your life, was a grand thing.

One thing not discussed here is the "art" part of the work. My Navy stepdad was all tonnage all oceans rated master. That boat stuff is complicated, and gets exponentially so with the weights and power involved. Ship handling theory is fine, but actual practice is a flipping ART.
Blading is an art. Terrain management is an art. Moving in four dimensions is genius too, just not in words or numbers. Too many people just don't appreciate that.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The trick to it is to make what ever you do look easy, from the guy unloading trucks all day on the loading dock to the one running the pan and not dropping or destroying anyone or anything.Never could get the hang of a backhoe to even bury a cow,but enjoyed running the combines and other equip. on the farm and the over the road trucks. Some of the lift guys at the docks could put the containers on the trailer and never shake the cab ,others would make you pray they didn't wreck the whole dock

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Granted, a large crane looks impressive. I even got the chance once to try throwing a dragline bucket in exchange for letting the operator run my swabbing machine........ we both chickened out.

But a GOOD backhoe operator can be moving the hell out of dirt and "feel" a plastic line in time to avoid cutting it. It takes a LOOOOng time to develope that level of expertise.

I met a guy in Benoit, Ms. who had his own backhoe business and filled in for a local Ag Pilot flying a turbine powered Air Tractor.

He said the backhoe took longer to learn.

When he feels the plastic, it's too late. You poked a hole in it already.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with cranes. Takes knowledge and experience, good depth perception, good touch, etc. Otherwise everyone is runnin' for cover.

Backhoes, loaders and most other such critters are fairly easy to master.

Worked with an old goat in the early 70s that could run hell outta a Cleveland grader. Needed to be a ten armed monkey to operate that thing well and he did it with two arms. I never learned to run it any better than to flatten/spread piles of limestone ballast on street jobs, never wanted to, either.

Most everything thsese days seems to be infested with joy sticks. Watched a kid grade the gravel road past hunting camp a few years ago with a new CAT grader, nice job, good stick wiggler.

Last month hopped up into a new CAT rubber tired backhoe, same deal, joy sticks everywhere. The ol' boy that owns it asked me if I would've liked something like that 30 years ago, when I was running an IH or JD hoe. Hell yes. Worst POS hoe I ever had to fuss with, was an IH 3400A. Great litle digger, PITA to road move. No torque to speak of, break an arm trying to shift the fooker.

Might just be me, but if I haven't run one in awhile, skid loaders give me fits for about the first fifteen minutes.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not so much the difficulties of operations of the equipment but the consequences of if you screw up.

Know a cranes limits (geometry) and limitations (load limits) and it's a piece of cake.. Screwing up on a motor grader can easily be fixed.. ain't near the same, danger wise, as screwing up on a crane.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Most any operator you find on any construction site is fully capable of running multiple pieces of equipment and is quite often shuffled back and forth. Most have a preference, but it doesn't take much to screw up, local guy some six or so years ago killed his self with just a short lapse of caution. Started up his back-hoe and left it to warm up at beginning of shift, got off to grease the swing pin and bumped the swing lever crushing his self.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cranes are their own thing. Things happen very slowly and in a calculated way. Don't get me wrong you don't put a rookie on one on a big busy construction site it does take skill to be sure.

Originally Posted by BluMtn
I have spent my whole life working around heavy equipment. Ran most of it except the cranes where I worked as a rigger. To me one of the toughest jobs was building road on slopes with a straight blade dozer. You would have to carry planks with you so you could put one under the side of the track to get your bit to bite into the hill to start your cut and then maintain your cut and grade.

True that even with tilt blades on today's dozers cutting a slope is something most would be lost at especially today there's less and less cat skinners. Only because excavators have won the day for most everything.

How about the old cat and can? What a freakin gong show they were just a big cat usually a D 8 anyway or a 9 towing a belly scraper frame. The cat's winch was rigged through it to open and close the gate there's your control, that's it. I saw a few work when I was a kid I remember one guy that was cut loose on his own building road along a river out in the boonies, big ranches not much traffic so standards were low. It was rolly country along a river with 20 and 30 foot humps and holes we surveyed right of way only for him. At the end of the week he had maybe a quarter of a mile of sub grade built all on his own. It wasn't pretty as far as nice cuts and such but the alignment wasn't bad for 30 mph the posted speed. The grader smartened it up a bit and then it was ready to be graveled. Slow but pretty impressive.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
curdog4570, according to my wife - "that would be the washing machine"! memtb grin

If used properly, it will move dirt!

Last edited by memtb; 06/17/15.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just like most things in life - if you repeat it often enough - it gets easier

time spent in the seat of most heavy equipment makes for a more knowledgeable - skilled operator

first timers in cranes are just like first timers on backhoes - graders / dozers etc.- you'll suck at it

to be good takes years of experience and hands on everyday , it doesn't matter what it is

always wanted to run cranes - the "big Boomers" and get away from dirt work - oiled on a few - operators wouldn't let you get a chance running it much - finally figured that one out - they didn't want you taking their job in the future or at a different company

dirt guys where -here you are - get on it - run it - figure it out - just don't f nothing up

a far as finding great grader operaters - anyone can learn to run one - I did -

job site needed some piles rough grade knocked down - here ya go get it done -
I never considered myself a finish hand - finished a lot of stuff but boss always complained I was too slow - once a company has one they never let him go that's why you don't find may around - they don't give guys a chance to make mistakes - if your not fast and get it done the first time - you are replaced.

just like anything times have changed - from old cable rigs to the geared rigs to the hydraulic rigs

now its joy sticks and lasers

hell even cars and trucks now have turn knobs on the dash to shift - no more shift levers

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Watching the Korean's rig, lift, transport and set my 6,000 tonne modules via an 8,000 tonne floating crane was a sight to behold. The orchestration of the 3 tugs precisely moving the crane was simply amazing. So I choose this.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just go and google excavator tricks or excavator stunts

then tell me how good an operator you are !?

some are easy and simple - some are quite good

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image][Linked Image][URL=http://s595.photobucket.com/user/boomhand/media/pipe%20001.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL
There's a lot of operators in the world and only a small percentage can jump on a live boom 83 and be good. This is a machine that will bite you and anyone around you in the a$$ when you ain't ready for it. At the end of the day you're just happy you and no one else gets hurt.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.