Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Yhgtbfkm

Was there ever any war that wasnt fought for freedom from oppression?

I suppose the spat with the limey's circa 1776 was really over Tea taxes?

You mean it wasn't over oppression?

No it means I read too fast and I interpreted "wasnt" as "was" and thought you were being a cynical ass, so I responded in kind.

My apologies.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Flag is just another liberal cause.If we get rid of the flag everything will get better.All more BS to give the HNIC more cover for all the BS he is pulling.He continues to agitate for more racial division which is to the benefit of the democratic party.With no racial division they are out of biz!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I mentioned once before that much of the black angst towards whites hinges on the fact that they can't seem to find a word identifier for whites that really upsets them. Nothing really works! Think about it.

I known it sounds simple and childish. But there is a lot of fact in the statement.

"Racist"

Imagine a white person approaching a random black person and calling them a "N". Now reverse the roles.

You have your word......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Nope. Just doesn't to it for me!!!

laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It means nothing. It's fabric.
The only importance it has its what the individual assigns to it.
So if your emotionally attached then you should offer the same level of respect to the person who is offended by it.
You didn't fight for the confederacy any more than a black man was a slave under it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

laugh

Then you must be racist.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
but a lack of faith in looking at who decided to write something down.
These weren't letters to home or something scribbled on a scrap of paper. These were official documents detailing the most important issue of that day, and likely written and re-written repeatedly with much input and discussion until they were exactly right for the situation.

I understand what you are saying. My point is that it only represents one point of view. Unfortunately for those of us who were not a part of it we must rely on what is left for us to read. We never really get the whole picture.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My point is that it only represents one point of view.
It represents the views of those 5 states who presented a list of causes for succession and then there is the Confederate Constitution, which would have been agreed upon by all states ratifying it. It would appear that one point of view you mention was chiefly and strongly held by all seceding states.

I never thought the picture was difficult to grasp, until some began the rewrite of history, making the picture ridiculous.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Those of you in the south, or with southern roots, how do you answer those who proclaim the flag represents a support for slavery or modern day racism? How do you define what the flag means to you?

And I swear, this is not an attempt to troll, I'm just completely ignorant on the whole matter. I don't believe for a minute that those proud of their southern roots are racist, nor do I see their pride in the flag as racism, but I would like to get it straight from the south, how you all perceive the flag what it means to southerners..

Thank you.

well Mike, your thread IS an attempt to troll.

I have mentioned before, that the various Flags of the Confederacy represent to me, the sacrifice my Great Grandfather and his family made, in an effort to support what they believed in.
He was not a slave owner, just a small farmer. He was not a General, an officer, a politician, or a policy maker. Just a dirt farmer, a Christian, and he fought for his people and his land.
It's my heritage. I support it.

Shut up Sam, why is it that the same little girls show up in every post pointing their fingers sealing "troll"?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
So if your emotionally attached then you should offer the same level of respect to the person who is offended by it.
You didn't fight for the confederacy any more than a black man was a slave under it.
holy chit!!!!!

best post I have seen yet on the subject from multiple threads about it

IC B3

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I want to thank everyone for their input, those of us with no ties to the south or have never lived in the south, have no idea what it is really all about. For those in the south it is family and history, for a CA boy it is just another chapter in the history books.

One last question, I have heard on TV, those against the flag state that the flag was not raised in some southern states onto government grounds until opposition to 60's civil rights legislation manifested, is there truth to any of that?

One thing I have heard many say also, that people living in the south have been forced to live under this ugly symbolism, well, I find it hard to believe that southerners could not have decided for themselves via the ballot box to have the flag removed if the bulk of southerners were offended by it.

Thanks again.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

laugh

Then you must be racist.

I prefer bigot. Lots of white mofo's out there I just cant stand either.

Why complicate the issue with race? wink.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yes, there is truth to that. Specifically, the flag was raised by then Governor Fritz Hollings A DEMOCRAT, in 64 as a protest to the Civil Rights act and removed in 98 by a REPUBLICAN. Same for a couple of other states that I'm sure somebody will chime in with more facts.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Reconstruction then came to dictate life on a local level. The Southerner was humiliated and suppressed and the resentment toward the Federal Gov't and the Northern elites grew.

This resentment was real and nearly ubiquitous. The Southerner had very little to be proud of right through the first half of the 20th Century. When the issue of desegregation came about in the 1950s, once again the Federal Gov't and the Northern Elites were dictating how the former Confederate States were going to live.

Kind of like how I feel displaying the Gadsen in CA, just to piss liberals off, I suppose. wink

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The Confederate flag is a non issue.

The issue is, a buncha damn social justice warriors pretending to be all butt hurt about yet *another* thing and the nutless wonders who allow themselves to be led around by the nose.

People are getting real tired of liberal agitators. They are intentionally destroying this country.

Good read by a Mormon fellow.

http://www.redgulls.com/2015/06/17/watching-the-decline-and-fall-of-america-live/

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by ringworm

This is the militant PC view which merely adds the caveat that the person in power is automatically in the wrong, so in this case the white guy (GASP!) must set aside his preferences in favor of the victimized masses.

Remember when we as a culture could say "I may not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it"?

Those days are gone.

"Identify" under some minority status and complain that you're offended. Ya don't even have to prove you actually ARE a minority!

Of course for Liberals that's par for the course; now we have so-called "conservatives" doing it.

Simply insane.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Confederate flag is a non issue.

The issue is, a buncha damn social justice warriors pretending to be all butt hurt about yet *another* thing and the nutless wonders who allow themselves to be led around by the nose.

People are getting real tired of liberal agitators. They are intentionally destroying this country.

Good read by a Mormon fellow.

http://www.redgulls.com/2015/06/17/watching-the-decline-and-fall-of-america-live/

Right again..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I bet DOD is gonna eventually rename a chit load of army post nation wide also

bout laughed my ass off in the spring of 98 when I went to recruiting school at ft Jackson s.c.
bout every street is named after confederate generals on that post
and then they have storm Thurmond blvd I think

just about every gawt dammed remf mofo in the army goes to Jackson for basic training and most remfs are minorities to begin with

wonder how many of em even had a clue about the street names on that post

bwwhahahahahahahaaa!!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They way the libs are reacting you'd think someone had just said Merry Christmas.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those familiar with the history, wasn't it true that after the war ended, slavery was abolished in the South but was allowed to carry on in some Northern states, do you know for how long that went on?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.