Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
United States military personnel are now being forced to observe the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

U.S. troops stationed in Muslim nations have been informed by a statement on the Central Command website that they are to “be familiar with host-nation customs and courtesies to help facilitate a long-lasting mutual respect with local communities.”

“U.S. military members serving in countries that observe Ramadan are required to adhere to certain practices while outside U.S. installations,” the statement read.

“Members should be respectful of local customs and be patient with host nation personnel,” said Capt. Dan Sickles, host nation officer in-charge. “Ramadan is a countrywide religious celebration. Members should not make light of local customs and should also expect that during daylight hours host nation customer service will be abbreviated and less accommodating.”

Sickles added that many stores off base would be closed during daylight hours.

One part of Ramadan is that those observing the holiday fast from dawn until sunset.

When outside U.S. controlled areas, eating and drinking in public during daylight hours is against the law. Failure to obey could result in fines up to $685 or a sentence of up to two months in jail.

“The commander’s policy dictates that airmen will adhere to local law, which prohibits eating, drinking or tobacco use off base in public,” said Sickles.

“The only personnel exempt from this requirement are those performing strenuous labor outside U.S. controlled areas. They are authorized to drink and consume as much food as they need to maintain proper hydration and energy.

As airmen and other personnel here adjust to this, Brig. Gen. John Quintas, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing commander, outlined the type of conduct he expects throughout the holy month.

“As ‘Airmen-Ambassadors’ representing American and U.S. military values around the world, we are committed to the concepts of tolerance, freedom and diversity,” said Quintas. “I hope that during your service in the 380th AEW you become more informed and appreciative of the traditions and history of the people in this region of the world. Please remember we are guests here and that the host nation is our shoulder-to-shoulder, brothers and sisters in arms, risking their lives for our common cause to defeat terrorism.”

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That'd have been an order I gladly disobeyed.

Un-f'king-believable.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
snopes says its based on this article from Stars and Stripes. Basically it asks the service personnel to recognize there are local laws in effect and they need to respect that or they might be detained by local authorities. Some Navy personnel were asked to dress more conservatively when off base.

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/us-personnel-in-bahrain-prepare-for-ramadan-1.290721

Last edited by KFWA; 06/29/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Chances are you couldn't find any where to eat in public anyway in a Muslim country.
Whats the big deal? Continue the custom of the ugly American?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
dont eat haji shyt
plain and simple

ssg l(one of my squad leaders)
to me one day during oif1:

"hey sfc e
I just went and took a dump and their are white things moving in it"

me:
"lets go look at it"
me:
"congrats dude you have tape worms from eating haji half cooked rottiserre chicken with pin feathers still on it, and we have been told a million six times not to eat non approved local food, but yet you send them fugging kids on a run for it everyday"......

dumbass spent 3 days up in the cash hospital getting dewormed and I was short a squad leader for those days doing patrols and others had to take up the slack for him cause of him eating fugged up food.........................

why in the [bleep] would anyone want to eat haji shyt anyways
(fugg middleastern culture and everything it involves)

bout the only thing I would let my joes eat would be the big flat bread fired in clay ovens out in our patrol areas and we would pay for that stuff, after an old bag went after ferguson(ferggynuts) with a broom one day when he tried to get one on the sly out of her oven(funny as hell)

but remfs also have a way different life than infantry guys on a combat outpost, so I can see why they would tell remfs to behave in such and such a way
cause remfs aint got a lick of sense to begin with in the ways of the world and how not to make themselves and others a target from their actions
its all baskin robbins and burger king for them and good times on the FOB..............................

word........................................................

Last edited by renegade50; 06/29/15.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
what do you expect when the American President is a muslim?

Sam......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Didn't Dan Sickles loose a leg a Gettysburg?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smarquez
Chances are you couldn't find any where to eat in public anyway in a Muslim country.
Whats the big deal? Continue the custom of the ugly American?

and cue the Kalifornian dipschit with an anti-military post

I still remember being called a baby killer in the San Fran airport 20 years ago while wearing army bdu's.

what a fuggin moron. Please stay in Kalifornia and don't spread your disease to Colorado, OR, Montana WY, AZ, NM.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Are the telling the homos to not act like homos off base too?

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
dont eat haji shyt
plain and simple

ssg l(one of my squad leaders)
to me one day during oif1:

"hey sfc e
I just went and took a dump and their are white things moving in it"

me:
"lets go look at it"
me:
"congrats dude you have tape worms from eating haji half cooked rottiserre chicken with pin feathers still on it, and we have been told a million six times not to eat non approved local food, but yet you send them fugging kids on a run for it everyday"......

dumbass spent 3 days up in the cash hospital getting dewormed and I was short a squad leader for those days doing patrols and others had to take up the slack for him cause of him eating fugged up food.........................

why in the [bleep] would anyone want to eat haji shyt anyways
(fugg middleastern culture and everything it involves)

bout the only thing I would let my joes eat would be the big flat bread fired in clay ovens out in our patrol areas and we would pay for that stuff, after an old bag went after ferguson(ferggynuts) with a broom one day when he tried to get one on the sly out of her oven(funny as hell)

but remfs also have a way different life than infantry guys on a combat outpost, so I can see why they would tell remfs to behave in such and such a way
cause remfs aint got a lick of sense to begin with in the ways of the world and how not to make themselves and others a target from their actions
its all baskin robbins and burger king for them and good times on the FOB..............................

word........................................................

There were a couple of hadjis selling those grilled flatbreads with minced lamb and some kind of cheese outside our dorm when I was tdy in Bahrain. I use to get a couple of them everyday after I got off shift and they were damn tasty. Better than that [bleep] they fed us in the chow hall.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess I don't see the same conspiracy here. When have we not adhered to local laws when in another nation? They just state the obvious that you're not likely to find meals during the day out in town and that you should adhere to local law. Edit: They make some good grub over there if you like breads and meat.

Last edited by prm; 06/29/15.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They can KMA for ramadan!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bea175
United States military personnel are now being forced to observe the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

U.S. troops stationed in Muslim nations have been informed by a statement on the Central Command website that they are to “be familiar with host-nation customs and courtesies to help facilitate a long-lasting mutual respect with local communities.”

“U.S. military members serving in countries that observe Ramadan are required to adhere to certain practices while outside U.S. installations,” the statement read.

“Members should be respectful of local customs and be patient with host nation personnel,” said Capt. Dan Sickles, host nation officer in-charge. “Ramadan is a countrywide religious celebration. Members should not make light of local customs and should also expect that during daylight hours host nation customer service will be abbreviated and less accommodating.”

Sickles added that many stores off base would be closed during daylight hours.

One part of Ramadan is that those observing the holiday fast from dawn until sunset.

When outside U.S. controlled areas, eating and drinking in public during daylight hours is against the law. Failure to obey could result in fines up to $685 or a sentence of up to two months in jail.

“The commander’s policy dictates that airmen will adhere to local law, which prohibits eating, drinking or tobacco use off base in public,” said Sickles.

“The only personnel exempt from this requirement are those performing strenuous labor outside U.S. controlled areas. They are authorized to drink and consume as much food as they need to maintain proper hydration and energy.

As airmen and other personnel here adjust to this, Brig. Gen. John Quintas, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing commander, outlined the type of conduct he expects throughout the holy month.

“As ‘Airmen-Ambassadors’ representing American and U.S. military values around the world, we are committed to the concepts of tolerance, freedom and diversity,” said Quintas. “I hope that during your service in the 380th AEW you become more informed and appreciative of the traditions and history of the people in this region of the world. Please remember we are guests here and that the host nation is our shoulder-to-shoulder, brothers and sisters in arms, risking their lives for our common cause to defeat terrorism.”

I can't understand why anyone would object to this. All it's doing is asking our service members to behave like gracious guests. What is wrong with that?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I'm sure if you run a redlight or speed you will be ticketed and fined. What's the BFD?

If there is a local law and you are in the locality obey it or expect to be fined and/or arrested. Don't like it? Stay on base and go to the PX. Seems pretty simple to me.

Now if they start observing ramadan on base...

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing new. Service members are always told to obey local laws. This one is just so different from our norm that they put out reminders from time to time.

Inside US controlled areas, they're free to obey our laws. Simple

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50

Amen brother.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That is the norm over there in my experience. Whilst working there that is precisely how I was required to act.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I feel sick. sick These are our soldiers! ...remember??? They are supposed to be strong and have nourishment to fight. Everyday, something new, and ABSOLUTELY STUPID comes from this administration. Get some common sense for, crying out loud!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And who cares about what they are observing??!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. My wife works with a Muslim doctor, who observes Ramadan. At least, he says he does. She sees him shoving food into his mouth in the breakroom all day long. Yet if you ask him, he'd say he's fasting.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 3,205 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,627
Posts18,533,169
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.