Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Those drug-addled, freeloading, ne'erdowells born in the 50s and 60s are now the people running and ruining this country. .

Yet you think mandatory service to them is a good idea.

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The tipping point is ancient history. The best we can seek to do is stave off the insatiable hunger of tyranny in hopes that a few of us can maintain the freedom to raise up wise children. Their opportunity to put them into slavery has already been conceived: it's called National Debt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In World War II they drafted millions of misfits and dumbfuggs. Who collectively became the Greatest Generation.

Not all of them by any means. Many did not even make it through basic training , discharged for "nonadapability" homosexuality, alcoholism, flat feet, bed wetting, etc, etc. Dumfuggery was not an automatic discharge, as we know from all the soldiers who needed someone else to write their letters home for them.

I served in the military under both the draft and the all-volunteer, there is simply no comparison in the quality of the people who now serve, and an "up or out" promotion system gets rid of the homesteaders in short order.

[Linked Image]
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Those drug-addled, freeloading, ne'erdowells born in the 50s and 60s are now the people running and ruining this country. .

Yet you think mandatory service to them is a good idea.

Can't imagine it NOT becoming a 21st century version of Hitler Youth.

What's that saying about remembering history?

I forget but at least I clearly am not the only one crazy .

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

As a mandatory prerequisite for being able to vote and/or hold public office, ab-solutely!

So service to/reeducation by country is more valuable than actual contributions to the economy?

How about if only net contributors to the funding of the gov't through taxation are allowed to vote? That seems wiser that allowing the govt to reeducate us before we can vote don't ya think?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorriness has become over populated. These sorry bastards need to be tasked to do something for their room and board.

Military service NO! Nothing more than polishing good men's boots. But at least put them to work to keep them out of the sack.

It's the only choice other than cutting welfare programs and letting them starve to death or becoming more animal like than they already are, and obeying the law of the jungle.

It's a vicious cycle and must be broken at some point. We can no longer afford to keep them.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quit reading your own prejudices into what I wrote based on your own idea of what "national service" means.

Kamo gari asked if we would support mandatory service. I do not support mandatory national service. Are we clear so far?

As to eliminating universal suffrage, I am 100% in favor of that and would be glad to entertain any number of ideas of how to accomplish that. In this case I was limiting my remarks to the one in the original post - nothing more.

So back the f*ck off and quit trying to put words in my mouth.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
So how exactly would giving all children over to the gov't for reeducation & training... To the same gov't that has been telling them it's ok to be dependent upon it all their lives... Make the situation BETTER?

When has a new gov't program EVER made something better?

Seriously y'all prove the assertion that neo-conservatism is militaristic Liberalism all the time. Simply astounding.

Got a problem? We have a gov't program! Said:

A) Obama

B) Statist "conservatives"

??

Things that make ya go hmmmmm.....

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Quit reading your own prejudices into what I wrote based on your own idea of what "national service" means.

Kamo gari asked if we would support mandatory service. I do not support mandatory national service. Are we clear so far?

As to eliminating universal suffrage, I am 100% in favor of that and would be glad to entertain any number of ideas of how to accomplish that. In this case I was limiting my remarks to the one in the original post - nothing more.

Sorry Jim; genuinely didn't mean to go there with you. You're someone here I respect and I apologize. My directness there was not meant to be disrespectful nor to put words in your mouth.

I do not suggest natl service necessarily equates to military service. I do, however, believe that given the sort of gov't we have that another program is a bad idea whether mandatory for purposes of citizenship or for the privileges thereof.

Taxation seems a better basis for deciding voting rights IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

you just won't let anyone vote that doesn't do it

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If national service makes it, I'm sending my kid to Canada. I will not have her serve this criminal regime in any way, shape, or fashion beyond paying her taxes and trying to get by. And, no, I don't think a Republican president will constitute a change of regime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
National Service mandatory... How many here believe in slavery?

Hehehe... work or starve to damn death..

grin cry

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would like to see that here in Canada. I think it would make our country a better place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you, I too apologize for my angry reaction and I really appreciate your PM.

Back to the subject at hand - my main beef is with universal suffrage. The Founding Fathers knew their history and did not believe in it either. Their aim, as I understand it, was to only allow people who showed some stability and had a vested interest in electing a responsible government to participate in elections. Their solution was to only allow property owners the vote.

I'm not wedded to some form of national service as being the only avenue to suffrage but I could make a decent case for it - and remember that national service does not mean only military service although that would certainly count. And it should NEVER be mandatory. That's the whole point, only those folks willing to voluntarily give up their private lives and goals to serve their country for a period of time are allowed to participate in determining its course. The idea of only allowing taxpayers to vote has much merit as well - they earn the money to run the government, only they should be allowed to say how it is spent.

I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat. But the underlying truism of this idea is that gifts and benefits received for free are not valued. The decision making process is one of our greatest responsibilities and it should be given only to those who have earned it in some way.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Jim,

I completely agree that universal sufferage is an anti-Constitutional idea that has wrought great havoc upon this nation. I'd add that the original method of selecting Senators which allowed them some detachment to popular whims is also vastly superior to our current practice.

That having been said, the issue at hand is one that I'm fundamentally opposed to.

I think about it this way: no matter how broadly one were to define service (ie no matter how long the list of "acceptable service organizations") it'd become politicized just like the tax code and international aid. This politicization would inevitably lead to attempts to indoctrinate. That's just the direction of gov't programs. There has never been a problem that couldn't be made worse through a gov't program.

Now attach voting rights to that "service"? You see my dilemma.

Nothing is going to cure our country's lack of individual responsibility except a re institution of family and good parenting. That will mean a reduction in the size and scope of government to allow for a reduction in the tax code so our mothers can come home and be mothers rather than out being men.

In other words it's a pipe dream.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have been all for it 15-20 years ago, but I fear that it would become the far lefts re-education camp wet dream run awry.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'd support mandatory national reading comprehension classes.

I'll give you a second shot at it. Here are your words, sport:

"The bloated national government doesn't need our help to keep running"

Show me where my response misinterpreted your point, if you can.

wow

Wow back at you. smirk whistle

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I saw where someone said that you should be able to pass a test on how government works before you can vote.

I think I might be for that.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So what would we do with the dead beat that didn't show up for their National Service?

Would we fill the fill the prisons with them?

Come do your National Service, so you can build prisons for Service Dodgers.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,368
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.