Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
From the Sacramento Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article25770799.html

Happened Sunday Morning...

Heavy Rains caused a flashflood to come thru a camp at 4:30 AM.

4 Scouts were carried a mile from their camp....3 were found alive, and one sadly was found dead. The article didn't list the cause of his death, whether by drowning or from being hurt from impacting an obstacle or debris.

I am sure that the group never knew it was coming, especially at 4AM....those of us at Ed's East Texas Campfire Get2Gether, can relate to harsh weather materializing out of nowhere...

Prayers and condolences for the family of the deceased 13 year old.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very sorry to hear of the loss of one so young. May God bless and keep his friends and family.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry to hear of such a young boy's death.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If grown men knew of rain storms in nearby mountains and left kids camped near a draw or creek they are guilty of gross stupidity if not negligence. Unfortunately, too many today dont believe stuff happens unless they have seen it before. Im figuring this should not have happened with proper supervision.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
If grown men knew of rain storms in nearby mountains and left kids camped near a draw or creek they are guilty of gross stupidity if not negligence. Unfortunately, too many today dont believe stuff happens unless they have seen it before. Im figuring this should not have happened with proper supervision.

"Be Prepared". Except when it really matters.

LOL
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Such a horrible tragedy. All three of my children went to Philmont. Prayers offered up for the family.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Prayers sent for all involved.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Camped 20' above the creek - flood waters crested 23' above normal. That scenario would work 99.99% of the time. STUFF does happen.
I would have felt safe there, and have spent my life in NE NM, and in similar terrain.

Last edited by mark shubert; 07/01/15.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

People don't realize how quickly it floods in the desert.

http://www.abqjournal.com/605774/news/flood-that-hit-boy-scouts-may-have-reached-20-feet.html

A rush of water at least 20 feet high raged down a narrow canyon in the pre-dawn hours Saturday, taking with it four young Boy Scouts who had just begun a 12-day journey through the rugged northeastern New Mexico backcountry.

Three of the boys, between the ages of 14 and 17, were able to grab solid ground or objects and crawl to safety, according to New Mexico State Police. One boy, however, was found dead about a mile downstream.

Officials from state police and Philmont Scout Ranch – which hosted the outing for the troop and thousands of other Scouts throughout the 200-square-mile ranch – declined to identify the boy or provide any other information about his troop. They said they are waiting until his family is notified.

The Scouts set up camp about 15 miles from base camp and had just begun a journey of between 60 and 100 miles. The troop signed up for the 12-day hike two years earlier, said ranch comptroller Steve Nelson, and they had been preparing ever since. He would not say whether the troop was from New Mexico or elsewhere, but troops from all over the country use the ranch.

Beginning around 3 a.m. Saturday, multiple storms moved quickly through areas of Colfax County where the ranch is located, according to the National Weather Service.

Camp officials and meteorologists said that at least two inches fell in a short amount of time, and nearby state Highway 64 was closed due to mud slides, debris on the roadway and flooded bridges, they said.

New Mexico State Police spokesman Sgt. Chad Pierce said the troop set up camp on an embankment about 20 feet above a small creek in North Ponil Canyon. The flash flooding in the area sent so much water, so fast, that Pierce said it’s possible water rose higher than 20 feet above where it normally runs. He estimated the creek is normally about 3 feet wide and 1 foot deep.

The four boys were swept away around 4:30 a.m., he said, and state police were contacted around 9:35 a.m.

They found the boy’s body around 11 a.m., about one mile downstream from the campsite, state police said.

Pierce said the flood washed out the entire camp, but only the four boys were swept away. The troop consisted of eight Scouts, one adult Scout ranger and three adult crew leaders.

“More than anything, it was just good fortune is what saved most of them, I believe,” Pierce said. “It just went through, and they grabbed on to whatever they could.”

The ranch put out a statement lamenting the boy’s death and the trauma for his peers.

“This is a very difficult time for our entire Scouting family,” the ranch said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and we are supporting them in any way that we can.”

Pierce said state police investigators are working to find as much information about the tragedy as possible and will provide it to ranch officials “to better prepare them should something like this happen again.”

Nelson said about 5,000 Scouts are roaming the mountains near the ranch at any given time, hiking or backpacking in a number of different programs and routes. He said he has been on the phone constantly since Saturday, fielding numerous calls from parents and others concerned about their children.

A Facebook post from the ranch announcing the boy’s death and expressing condolences has more than 1,000 comments from parents of Scouts describing their or their sons’ experiences at the ranch and expressing condolences to the boy’s parents.

“Prayers to the family and all at Philmont. This is very hard to read because my son and 35 others from our troop are somewhere on the trails of Philmont, right now. Please continue to keep them safe,” Elizabeth Engle DeYong said in a comment on Facebook. She later added, “Our crews are only on day 2 of their trek. It will be a long wait before we hear anything. Prayers to all your scouts.”

Nelson said ranch officials had to make a number of small changes to routes for other troops to prevent them from crossing streams or using washed-out roadways. He said the troop whose Scout was killed is safely back at base camp, and he does not recall any other incident like this one in his eight years at the ranch.

The 136,000-acre ranch, located near Cimarron, hosts around 21,000 people every summer. The camp has experienced bear attacks.

Once Scouts complete the backpacking trip, they receive the Philmont arrowhead, which is a patch for their jackets, Nelson said.

Calvin Gray, a committee member for a central-Texas-based troop, said Scouts from his area were still on their adventure elsewhere in the ranch. He said Scout leaders across the country know Philmont as one of the best sites for these excursions because of the number of different programs available for Scouts.

He said troops are given flood training before they begin their hike and receive calls from staff members if a flood is expected in their area.

He had high praise for the ranch staff .

“All over the country, there’s a huge interest in Philmont. It’s very popular,” he said, adding that the ranch is a “very well run, very efficient operation.” He said he has no concerns about sending troops there again.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Whiptail

People don't realize how quickly it floods in the desert.

Philmont is definitively NOT desert - foothills to high Rockie Mtns.
However, flash floods do occur in the desert, frequently.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prayer, and condolences from SE Az.

Lord take the lost lad into your loving arms. Support and encourage the survivors, bless then with the understanding that the natural world has NEVER been "safe" and that the risks inherent in scouting are part of it's abiding grace and mystery.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by eyeball

"Be Prepared". Except when it really matters.

You 2 are really something.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Greg - forgive them - for they've never been in that country.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very sad. Couldn't imagine the pain of losing my child. Prayers out for him and his family

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two of my sons leave for Philmont in about 3 weeks. This harsh reality is in the fore front of all who are attending.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about that. I did the 50-some odd mile hike when I was a scout. Some of the best times!

I wonder if that's ever happened before. I'd think not.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Prayer, and condolences from SE Az.

Lord take the lost lad into your loving arms. Support and encourage the survivors, bless then with the understanding that the natural world has NEVER been "safe" and that the risks inherent in scouting are part of it's abiding grace and mystery.

GTC

I will second this...prayers sent.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That is really sad. I am sure the leaders of that troop are beating themselves up over even though they probably thought they were safe in their campsite.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There have also been two bear attacks at Philmont Scout Ranch this year.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow

That is disturbing. Thoughts and prayers to scout's loved ones .

Spent afew years there camping and hiking in scouts. I hope there is a lesson protocol to be learned so it does not happen again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 160user, 257man, 46 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,875
Posts18,478,865
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.