Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Ok that seems to help me some. Dialing is one way but if not Pick a zero that keeps you in the kill zone diameter for the game your hunting at the longest distance you expect to shoot. That is the assumption I came up with running the loads I normally shoot through my new ballistic calculater. Kick out the zero to 200 and accept the fact that under 100 you'll shoot somewhat high and out to 300 somewhat low but all shots in your selected kill zone radius.

GB1

D
OP Offline
D
Ok that seems to help me some. Dialing is one way but if not Pick a zero that keeps you in the kill zone diameter for the game your hunting at the longest distance you expect to shoot. That is the assumption I came up with running the loads I normally shoot through my new ballistic calculater. Kick out the zero to 200 and accept the fact that under 100 you'll shoot somewhat high and out to 300 somewhat low but all shots in your selected kill zone radius.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
If you meant that how it reads, if you can shoot 1.5 MOA groups standing, you can win the national championship and set the all-time record. I doubt that many hunters can put 50% of their shots into 6 MOA from the standing position.

I did say "assuming a good marksman with a good rifle and ammo", but I agree 1.5 MOA groups standing is being generous, but it served the purpose of showing the need to account for group size when figuring out the best zero distance. Here's what that looks like using your 6 MOA group size.

[Linked Image]

With that group size and the same scenario from my prior post the optimal zero distance drops to just 122 yards. This demonstrates the folly of setting zero distance based only on the vertical trajectory of the bullet, but that's the only tool most ballistic calculators offer their users, and from decoydog's last post it looks like he's fallen into that trap.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
There is no one answer to the OP's question. It depends on trajectory and game. Also the game does not always stand around while you use your rangefinder and turrets. A flatter trajectory lets you shoot quicker and hit better…

I agree there is no one answer to the OP's question, but a full featured ballistic program can illuminate any likely scenario. If fact, the above image shows that if you shoot 6 MOA groups then a flatter trajectory offers little in the way of shot placement, and many here will tell you terminal bullet velocity / energy is not a substituted for good shot placement (unless you're shooting a 20mm canon).

The takeaway is that a person should know their group size from likely hunting positions. If it's 6 MOA off-hand standing then, given the example scenario, limit shooting that way to 122 yards, but if you can do 1.5 MOA groups with a rest, then you can shoot out to 205 yards without adjusting sights. Further than 205 yards and you need to consider wind and maybe dial-in the sights to get good shot placement.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
This is really a very difficult question for me to address because we are apparently addressing a vast number of different calibers and other elements of ballistics.

However, to bring it back into conformity generally, addressing big game only, in the USA, exclusively, and setting the caliber specific adequate parameters, you will want to evaluate the caliber of rifle, velocity, bullet weight, powder charge, distance. Further up hill /down hill shooting/ distance/ wind direction/wind velocity. On average the general calibers popular which number in the thousands show that due to diminished velocity and wind direction are so influential past 300 yards that it becomes a luck of the draw, cross your fingers, and say a prayer.

I'm absolutely not dissing the long range shooters in any way and particularly Military snipers, a special breed with special equipment and extra-ordinary talent.

I zero at 200 yards and never shoot past 300 yards.

I wondered what ever became of Professor Irwin Corey.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What cra1948 said. Shoot at various distances under different conditions with the ammo your going to use and see where your rifle hits.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 3,508 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,486
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.