Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by smokepole
Kodiak has it right.

I keep hearing about "obeying God"....Where in the Bible does it say to not bake a cake for gay people?

Where in the constitution does it say a business must produce anything that its owners don't want to?

It doesn't.

Duh.

You can answer your original question the same way. At least the constitution is relevant. Or should be.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kodiak has it right.

I keep hearing about "obeying God"....Where in the Bible does it say to not bake a cake for gay people?

Where in the constitution does it say a business must produce anything that its owners don't want to?

There's nothing about sexual orientation in the Constitution either but we certainly have a plethora of laws and rulings concerning it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RyeDaddy
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

My success and happiness comes from playing by the rules I'm given, changing what I can and accepting what I can't. If I'm not willing to abide by the rules, I don't play the game. I can be bitter over what should be, or I can be happy with what is.

Not everybody is willing to allow others to define their lives. Enjoy your existence, it may or may not be the only one you get.

I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't answer to someone about something. YMMV
And I am enjoying life as I'm pretty sure it will be the only one I get.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
ICGAF

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
There is no way I will believe the gay couple did not purposely seek out this baker and go for the bucks. It was a setup from the start.

The bakery had baked a cake for one of the mother of one of the brides a few years earlier. It was a word of mouth recommendation.

Page 5.... http://media.oregonlive.com/business_impact/other/BOLI-sweetcakes.pdf

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was the judge and the law said that's what the fine was for not making a butch cake, then yes I would fine them that. A judge is supposed to rule by the law. It wouldn't mean I agreed with it, but I would be bound to enforce it.

It's not a fine, it's a judgment for damages in a civil case.

Well hell, that shows you how much of a [bleep] I give about this. I thought it was a fine in criminal court. In that case I'd have found them guilty, fined them $5 plus court cost and told them all to get the hell out of my court. Like I give a [bleep] about lesbian cake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And your argument speaks to a "reasonable Man" standard... how is 135,000 dollars a reasonable standard for making up for a cake they refused to bake in plenty of time for them to choose another bakery?

I have absolutely no beef with lesbians being treated reasonably, but I have seen far, far worse offenders in court being punished with far, far less. Even in situations where lives were put in serious jeopardy the consequences were a fraction of 135,000 dollars.

A friend had an employee steal 50k and the court-mandated restitution was less than 5k!

The judge needs to realize this was a publicity stunt from the get-go and that the bakery was being set up.

Unless of course the judge was a peter puffer in which case they should have abstained from taking the case.

And I could not possibly care less about anyone's sexual peccadilloes as long as they are not waved in my face.

It isn't reasonable to bankrupt a baker over refusing service. It does make an example of them, and some in power are apt to do that.

"Power is not a means, it is an end..."
-George Orwell

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no issue with requiring them to bake a cake. The court should have required them to use flour acquired from “homo” plants reproduction. I imagine those empty husks (chaff) would make quite the cake, huh?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Quit using the word "gay'. It's "homosexual"! Gay is a word the queers invented to make themselves seem less harmful to the rest of the world.

They wish to be free to live their way, while placing others in bondage to them.

Satan is very crafty. Just ask Eve when you see her.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you think things are bad now, what will you be thinking during the Rapture? You will be required to take the Mark of the Beast, and those that refuse, will be decapitated immediately.

Sound familiar?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I was the judge and the law said that's what the fine was for not making a butch cake, then yes I would fine them that. A judge is supposed to rule by the law. It wouldn't mean I agreed with it, but I would be bound to enforce it.

It's not a fine, it's a judgment for damages in a civil case.
Who in their right mind would think that they were 'damaged' $135k? This was punishment, not damages.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I don't see it as persecution. I see it as a misguided effort of a Christian baker to apply his faith to his business. God doesn't make one sin worse than another, but the baker has. I might have more sympathy if he was also refusing adulterers since it is the same sin.

I don't think one sin is worse than the other, but the Baker doesn't knows who the Adulterers, Murderers, Thieves, etc. are, he simply makes cakes.

Forcing him to bake a cake makes him complicit in the whole gay ceremony, something that he Does Not want to be a part of.

A person should not be forced to do something against their will that violates the core of their religious beliefs. You will never get me to believe otherwise, no matter the argument.

It's the only thing we have left in this world that people can't take away from you, and now the Gov't is trying their best to steal that as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have any personal experience with "damages" restitution.
My buddy was waiting for his truck to be loaded at a dock when a runaway forklift hit his truck. He was messed up for months and had countless doctor and chiropractor visits before returning to work. He's doubting he'll see much of anything for "damages". Even though the forklift operator jumped off the forklift and left it parked with no brake applied, and the entire thing was caught on security tapes.

Same trucker backed up 3' to make a tight turn in an intersection in Atlanta and bumped a car, at about 2 mph. Two black parasites crawl out screaming, "My neck, my neck!" and end up with $13,000 cash for their trouble.

That all seems fair. Just like $135,000 for the poor mistreated gays. It would have been cheaper for the baker to hire a hit man to take them out. This is nothing more than a setup, and if left to continue, will be one of the factors in the demise of our country.

Bristoe has it right, free or not. Pretty damn simple.

LOL
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They should open a new bakery and just sell fruitcakes. Everyone would be happy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the bakers made them feel bad for not making them a cake. You can not imagine how bad thy would feel after I got thru telling them what I thought about them and their kind. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

God doesn't make one sin worse than another

I see this sentiment commonly expressed.

But it's just not true.

https://carm.org/questions-sins-equal

Islam is a terrorist organization.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Yeah pretty familiar, sounded just as stupid all the other times too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by JMR40
The bakers sound like hypocrites to me who got what they deserved.

So people should be forced by the government to do business with people that they don't want to do business with?

The government did not force them to open a public, for profit business. If you decide to open a public, for profit business, there are hundreds of laws you are required to adhere to. Whether you agree with it or not, you know that going into it. It was their choice to break one of those rules and now they want to bitch about the consequences.

.Gov is forcing a person to violate their religious beliefs in order to stay in business. Being in business goes to the core of our liberties protected by the Constitution. Forcing a Christian or muslim to participate in an event that violates their religious beliefs under penalty of law isn't constitutional. The free exercise of religion obviously includes choosing to not participate in events you find religiously objectionable. It is no different than a Christian couple suing to force an Orthodox Jewish caterer to make pork tenderloin with oyster dressing. Not all Jewish caterers hold this belief, yet no one would ever consider doing that. How is forcing a fundamentalist Christian to participate in a a gay wedding any different from forcing an ordained minister with the same beliefs to officiate one?

The actions of the baker are not discriminatory because it is the EVENT they can't support. They didn't deny service to the couple because they were gay. In fact, they were more than willing to sell them anything they baked , except for the one thing which would violate their religious beliefs. You want a birthday cake? No problem. It's a selective denial of service.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very well said, Wycolocowboy.

And let me throw this out there - the civil ceremony is no different than a religious ceremony because the state, having established a set of morals and usurped many of the roles & functions of churches, has defacto established a state religion.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
According to the BOLI, the lesbian couple suffered great angst. One of the women “felt depressed and questioned whether there was something inherently wrong with the sexual orientation she was born with.” They said she had “difficulty controlling her emotions and cried a lot.”
So right in the lawsuit they admit that the lesbians are mentally ill. Who'd a guessed it?

Yep. Sure seems so.

But if a business advertises cakes for sale, then sell cakes, not a religious agenda. They were not being forced to actually participate in the so called wedding ceremony. Now if the customer was being full out nutso, while ordering a cake in the bakery, then the owner has the right, I think, to kick them out. I guess though, nutso didn't happen in the bakery.

From my somewhat limited observation, lesbians always have angst. That kinda happens when narcissists don't get the attention, that they think they deserve. The nature of the beast...

Last edited by Wyogal; 07/03/15.
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 37 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.