Hop To
L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hey, folks,

Wondering if anyone has tips for weatherproofing muzzleloaders on the hunt. Here's what I'm doing so far. Any additions or corrections are *extremely* welcome!!!

1) Got a Kap Kover on the way, along with an extra brass cover, extra nipple, and extra o-rings in case I lose something
2) Will tape the muzzle with electrician's tape (I imagine that you just shoot right through the tape???)
3) Bought some "Danish" penetrating & sealing oil, and am going to apply it all over the stock. Especially the parts of the barrel channel don't even have stain on them right now ... I just *know* that stock would swell up and torque the barrel every which way out in the WA rain forest. Hopefully the oil seal will help out with that.
4) Saw that Mule Deer puts electrician's tape along the barrel where it joins the wood to help keep water out ... might try that???

Regards,
Liam

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Liam...

Most of my late muzzleloader season is in the wet...both rain and snow, so here's what I do and it's worked great so far.

Seal the muzzle, electric tape or a small balloon. I prefer to put the tape over the balloon for a 100% seal. Yes, you do shoot through it.

Wax the stock with carnuba wax...inside and out. Danish oil is a furniture finish and IIRC will actually absorb moisture, or allow it to wet through.

I use the #11 cap so I put a little clear nail polish around the seated cap both on inlines and side locks.

To store the rifle over night while loaded, I leave the tape or ballon on the muzzle and I set the hammer or striker down on a piece of rubber to seal the nipple from any moisture in the air to keep the ignition end of the charge completely dry. This is key to never having a hang fire or worse yet a misfire after a few days hunting in the wet.

Another important part of keeping one's powder dry is to never hunt in the cold then take the rifle inside a warm building for the night. The condensation formed inside the barrel will work on killing the charge. I keep mine locked in my vehicle or unheated building.

Pretty simple.....

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (260Remguy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 16,765 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,104
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.