-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ever since i was a wee lad my family has always gotten together for deer season, its our family vacation annually. about three months ago my mom had knee replacement surgery and has continued to lose range of motion. she went to the DR today and he said he is going back in 10/02/06 and deer opens the 12th. dad has decided not to go as it would put too much stress on mom as she would get the idea she was holding everyone back from full enjoyment. Since ten most everyone else has backed out. Deer hunting without them will not be the same and i am not going to drive 5 hrs to hunt alone and been making this trip for 25 years straight now. Think most of my pards have family plans for the season as wll so thinking i may bag it all.

sorry guys just venting

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No need to be sorry about venting Mallard. I feel your pain and I am not being sarcastic or puting you down at all.

As much as we hate to see it happen things change. Treasured hunting traditions are no different and not imune to the ravages of time.

For what seemed a million years Christmas morning breakfast was fried quail, biscuits and gravy. I walked at Dad's heels and then shot with him for a little bit when I got old enough.

Old Foots (dog) died, quail birds went the way of the Dodo. Dad died, Mom died, things change.

Keep the good memories in your heart and just be thankfull you have them.

BCR

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It broke my heart when my dad stopped wanting to go hunting. As it turns out, he was probably going mostly for me those last few years anyway. I have some good hunting buddies, but still wish my dad would join.
Hopefully, my own family can start some traditions like yours and I can enjoy them. As of now, I have no intentions of missing a season, even if I hunt alone. Here in TX, 5 hours is nothing.

pepaw

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BCR Amen Brother.

Mallard, hopefully next year will be different, Good Luck to your mother and her procedures.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm taking a different route here. Quit yer bawlin. There's no need to change anything. You think its bad because there's short term medical problem, what the sam hill are you going to do when your folks a dead and gone?
Take it from someone who's folks are dead and gone, hunting camp will be different . So enjoy what you have now.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Yes, the loss of traditional hunting times is a tough one. Used to fish with my Dad so he would hunt with me and older brother. Dad passed on and the older brother and I hunted together for many years. He died several years ago, so now I hunt with a couple of younger fellas, hoping to pass on a little bit of stored wisdom (?) and a couplle of guys near my own age just for the enjoyment of each other's company.

Not the same as hunting with family, but close.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ever since i was a wee lad my family has always gotten together for deer season, its our family vacation annually. about three months ago my mom had knee replacement surgery and has continued to lose range of motion. she went to the DR today and he said he is going back in 10/02/06 and deer opens the 12th. dad has decided not to go as it would put too much stress on mom as she would get the idea she was holding everyone back from full enjoyment. Since ten most everyone else has backed out. Deer hunting without them will not be the same and i am not going to drive 5 hrs to hunt alone and been making this trip for 25 years straight now. Think most of my pards have family plans for the season as wll so thinking i may bag it all.

sorry guys just venting

where 'bouts you hunting? If you are not a beer drinking stump shooter I might be inclined to join ya! One time I made the mistake of hunting with some fools...first day hunting I heard 'em take 7 shots, spaced out about 45 inutes, with a couple 2 shots in succession...dark came and I asked 'em what they was shooting at..."We got off a couple of 'sound' shots" I asked 'em what the heck was a "sound" shot they explained to me it was when you HEAR something rustling in the brush and you take a shot!! I loaded up and came home that night!! Vowed to either hunt alone or with folks I really know/trust---

so, what kind of hunting do you do and where do you hunt? Also, why is her range going backwards? is the doc gonna do a manuplation?

Dave

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave indeed the Dr is going to do manipulation. I love my mother until the day i die but she is not one for pain and i honestly think her low tolerace for pain and a lacksidasical physical therapist are all to blame for this but she will recover.

I hunt SE Wa. or have for years atleast and will next year but do not feel it will be the same without my family so will look to hunt elsewhere this year.

Also i have no problem having a few beers or drinks after the hunt at night, but refuse to hunt with guys who get bombed during the hunt. My life and safety as well as there's and others in the woods coupled with my morals would not allow that and ayone who does it around me i will pack my chit up and never hunt with them again.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mallard,

why don't you come on out here to West Texas and hunt with us? Lots of deer out here...with some good 'uns sprinkled in the mix.

Make sure she gets a hard azz for a PT, and remind her she got the knee done for a reason-TO GET BETTER! and that if she does it right, the pain she has now is only temporary. If she does not get her ROM, she will have difficulty the rest of her life going up and down stairs, up a slope/hill and may end up with hip, ankle and back problems if she does not get her range back-target 120 degrees and she is text-book normal!

Good luck to her and your family.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

Her new physical therapist is a good personal friend of mine and will make her do her excersices. She also managed to get mom a take home ROM machine. right now she is at 63 degrees with pain due to atrophy and all the bad stuff that goes with not doing what one should

IC B3

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My story is about like Boggy Creek Ranger's, quail breakfast on Christmas morning was a family tradition I grew up with. Quail are gone, dog is gone and most of the family as well. Yes, things change with time but we don't have to like it. At least your folks are still here. Get together and enjoy one another anyway. I would give a million for one more hug from my grandfather or grandmother.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If it were me. I would be looking into the someone to hang with Mom while a family tradition is carried on. I lost my Mom and Dad 3 years ago within 5 months of one another. This is my 3rd hunting season without my oldman stoking the fire at camp. Dont let it slip away if you have to take the reins your self. Hope it all works out. And a get well to Mom with her surgery.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,137
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.