Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, I just received a pair of Meindl Teton II's in the mail today from the Big C.
<br>
<br>My gawsh, guys. If there is a better hunting-boot maker on the market, I've yet to see it. I know lots of guys like other brands, and I'm not trying to knock any of them. All I'm saying is that Meindls are absolutely stunning.
<br>
<br>My first pair of Meindls were a pair of Canada Hunters. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, except that on their first hard hunt, I blew the same seam on both boots. I was ticked, but Cabela's refunded me, and the tech told me there had been a few complaints about that seam, and that it was being addressed in Germany. Sure enough, next year's catalog picture showed that seam double-stitched, and they still include it in their catalog, so it's gotta be selling. I'm thinking of another pair, they were that good (defect notwithstanding).
<br>
<br>Despite this experience, I loved those boots so much that I just had to give Meindl another chance. I bought a pair of Winter Extremes about 5-6 years ago, and they have been rock solid ever since. For a world class, all-leather, cold-weather mountain hunting boot, I don't think you can do better. They are simply awesome.
<br>
<br>Now I need a pair of uninsulated hikers/low boots for chasing chukars and desert mule deer. I've been eyeing these Tetons for a while, but at $170, my worn out cheapo hikers never seemed to coincide with my receipt of the Cabela's catalog. But with a nine-day desert mule deer hunt upcoming, and a chronically bad ankle that I will not risk anymore, anywhere, plus a draggin'-their-ass pair of $40 SportMart Yukons getting a bit ripe, it was time.
<br>
<br>Man, am I ever glad I broke down!
<br>
<br>I'll be wearing these things every day to make sure they'll be nice and broken in for my hunt. I can tell you that after about 7 hours wearing them today, I am as impressed with these as I have been with the others.
<br>
<br>Bottom line: If you're looking for a blue-ribbon all-leather hunting boot, you should try a pair of Meindls. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you order a pair from Big C (which will refund you if you don't like them), you will not return them. From the minute they come out of the box, you know they are the real goods, and no mistaking it.
<br>
<br>Rick
<br>
<br>BTW, they have a one-year guarantee from the manufacturer as well!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick:
<br>
<br>What do you measure on a shoe brannock device? What size did you you get?
<br>
<br>JimF

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I note those boots are a lower than I remember you using before. And lighter, 3.4 lbs. per pair.
<br> I have, over the years, found myself being "corrupted" by the mountaineering crowd.
<br> It all started when I asked for some mesh net t-shirts years ago. They told me the latest thing was something called Capliene. I bought one (1) expensive t-shirt, because I didn't believe them, but I needed something to stay dry when I hunted hard. Now, 10 yrs. later, I own three t-shirts, one long sleeved top, and soon another, one pair of shorts, and two long bottoms. All of them Capliene. I threw out my other underwear after one trip with Capliene. I do use polyester shorts. They seem to work as well as the much more expensive Capliene shorts. But that is the only exception.
<br> My boots have gone from the super duty Vasque general mountaineering boots, at seven pounds a pair, to a far lighter pair of Asolo FSN 95 GTX. About 2.5 - 2.8 lbs. a pair. Teamed with Dalgren socks, my feet are never cold. Even in the dead of our Sierra Nevada winters, hiking over several feet of snow, my feet are comfortable. No more insulated boots for me. Or heavy boots. Heck, I wore my Asolo's so much, I'm hunting in my old, cheap Columbia Elkhorn 901's. I need to save what's left on the soles of my Asolo's for the desert.
<br> Don't get me wrong. I love Cabela's. I feel like I've bought a piece of that company. But, I must admit. The mountaineering crowd has the best clothing and footwear I've ever used. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My guide friend wears nothing but Meindl boots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just taking a lunch break from a bit of hunting this morning...I've got Meindals on my feet right now, and I'ma bout to put a few more kmson them...

IC B2

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JimF:
<br>
<br>I measure 11.5. I usually buy either 11.5 or 12. I bought these 12 to allow for SuperFeet insoles, thick socks, and swelling feet.
<br>
<br>
<br>E:
<br>
<br>I would prefer a bit lighter boot. These are listed at 3.4 lbs., but I suspect that that's a low estimate. For hikers, these are a bit heavy. However, with my trick ankle, I just can't afford a boot with less torsional rigidity, especially if there's a potential to have to backpack out game. If I step on a rock wrong, my ankle will roll over and pop out of joint. If I do it bad enough, it will swell up. I just can't take that chance, especially in the country we'll be hunting in. Besides, what these Meindls lack in lightness, they more than make up for in other areas. The Vibram soles are like none I've seen on other boots. They're lug-style, but the material is tough. It is also extremely quiet. When I walk on cement or tile floors, I cannot hear my own footfalls. And if they're anything like my Winter Ex's, they will last beauceau years. I could go on and on, but let's just say that these are the right boots for me. Tough as nails, built hell-for-stout, incredible traction, and sturdy platform for rocky terrain, plus sturdy enough to pack out a load.
<br>
<br>You'll see them soon enough.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Each company has it's own idea of what a foot is shaped like.If you find a company whose last fits your foot,you know what brand you buy.At least my ski boot fits,that better than any hiking has.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yup meindl and Zamberlan {s} are great boots IF they fit I couldn't get either with a wide anough last, I have used Asolos for 20 years {3 pairs} in all types of hunting here in New Zealand from bogs to vertical green ice rock faces they do me just fine.

I don't appear to have a plate.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Got to agree with you there Jeff. I wear Asolos as well They just fitted me like a long lost well worn-in pair the momment I put them on.
<br>
<br>Hows the hunting going up North. I'm shifting houses and towns at the end of Nov. Going to the Coast. Hokitika area so I am real close to the hunting and fishing

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't overlook LaSportiva boots. They are primarily made for climbing, but they work great for hunting. I climb and hunt in them and they provide exceptional support. Not to mention, they fit my foot like a glove. They are not cheap; then again good boots never are. In my view, a good pair of boots is as important as a good rifle.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Rick. I've met a fair number of folks who can't use the low top design. And others who won't venture on to loose rock, so they really don't need, or can use, the heavy duty styles.
<br> I still find it hard to believe that the hard core hunters of Jack O'Connor's day used "basketball shoes" for hunting the low desert. What the rocks and cactus must have done to them on occasion I can only sudder to think.
<br> We do have some great designs today. The Asolos I mentioned have far more directional stability than one would think based on their weight. And they are waterproof, thanks to Gore-Tex. They are flexible enough, and grip well enough, to travel with confidence over most of my local rock landscapes. We will have to see how well they work in the treacherous rock of the Colorado Desert. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 23 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,627
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.