G
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Ribeye with a local butchers pineapple brown sugar pork sausage. [Linked Image]

With a Rocky Menefee blade

Nice.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you feed your cattle good forage, access to good water and no excessive confinement, you don't need seasoning...maybe some mushrooms on top. wink

Tonight...t-bone's medium rare.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS
Cavenders on a ribeye before grilling.

https://greekseasoning.com/

That is good on everything , but was out at the moment at deer camp

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ribeyes are hard to beat.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since my folks are gone and my daughter was busy, I bought myself a 2" thick Porterhouse for Fathers Day. Seasoned it with Charbroil mix from Alden Mill House and piled the Kingsford on half the Weber. Put the steak on the "cool" side and covered it till the internal temp hit 100*. Flipped it over on the hot side to get a good sear on both sides, then rested it till it hit 140*. Game on!!!

[Linked Image]

Game over, no leftovers. Aahhhhhh laugh
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
tmitch,

I do something similar. I start with a nice thick ribeye, salt liberally on both sides and let the steaks rest at room temp. for about an hour. The salt will initially pull moisture out of the meat, but after about 45 minutes or so the juices will reabsorb into the meat, drawing some of the salt in with it.

Bank a nice hot bed of coals on one side of the grill, and place the steaks on the grill as far from the coals as possible. I crack the lid on my grill to keep the temperature inside the grill from getting too hot. Turn the steaks every 5 minutes until they have an internal temperature of 115-120 degrees. If you do this correctly the surface of the meat is an ugly pale brown/tan color, and usually takes 20-25 minutes. If they heat up faster than this you have them too close to the coals!

As soon as they reach the correct temperature quickly baste them with melted butter or olive oil and any additional seasoning of your choice (Montreal seasoning, Sweet Mesquite, etc...). Flip the steaks and place them over the bed of VERY hot coals. You want the coals glowing cherry red and just below the grill. Baste and season the side facing up and flip again, just letting the steaks sear over the coals for no more than one minute per side.

The surface of the steaks will be nice and seared, with that great char-grilled flavor, while the inside of the steak will be uniformly rare/medium rare through the entire thickness of the meat.

Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montreal seasoning is too strong for me. I prefer plain old salt and pepper, although I do marinade a few once in a while. The real question is what cut do you prefer? I like a thick t-bone or ribeye personally.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ribeye with Spade=L-Ranch seasoning and cooked over charcoal to about medium. Top with sauteed mushrooms or caramelized onions.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
At least 1 1/2" thick, room temp, about 3 minutes per side on a 500 degree grill. A good steak doesn't need anything to help it be a good steak.

I like NY Strips, T-bones and Ribeyes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A few days ago I marinated skirt steak in olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, parsley and a touch of Pinot Grigio. I cut the "slabs" into 1 1/2" wide strips and skewered them with the rosemary stems and grilled them on a hot fire of chunk mesquite coals, a bit over a minute a side. Served with roasted potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper and a salad of greens, cherry tomatoes and avocado drizzled with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. It was killer. My most memorable steak fest was whilst hunting in northern BC and having a tenderloin sampler of moose, elk, mountain goat and Stone sheep. This on local wood we cut and split. Again, killer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
3/4" thick small T Bone from a 600 lb calf on good grass and still sucking.

Melt some lard in a cast iron skillet 'til it's almost smoking. Salt and coarse ground black pepper. Cook 4 minutes, turn, and cook 3 minutes on other side.

curdog4570
I like my moose steak done the same way and as I finish the first you can start me a second exactly the same way. Man I can taste it already. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One last pic, a fire no gas [Linked Image]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think this is the first time I have heard anyone mention Cavenders seasoning. It is good on everything. I was turned on to it one year when I was at the neighbors butchering. We roasted a half a hog and used it to season the pork. I don't think I have cooked any meat without it for several years.
It is good on salads too. I even tried it instead of salt and pepper on cottage cheese and loved it. I buy the stuff in a 5 lb. tub now. Just stay away from the salt free version, it just does not cut it.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I like a good Rump steak...Start with it at room temp, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper..

Place it in a hot, dry fry pan and sear on both sides for a couple or three minutes. When the steak first hits the pan its important to let that side sear/seal properly before turning it over..

If the steak is fairly thick, use a pair of tongs to hold the edges to the hot pan to sear those too..

Once cooked to your liking, remove to a warm plate and place somewhere warm to allow it to rest for a few minutes..

When I am having onions with it, I'll fry those off first, and then return them to the pan to warm through while the steak is resting.

If you like cream based sauces, now is the time to cook those as well..cream, onions, a little Fench mustard is my favourite..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad recalled some steaks one time that took on a pretty special meaning to him and his father. Dad and his dad used to hunt out of a camp in Pa. up close to Lake Erie and in a very remote area. They took the train in to the end of the line at a logging camp, and hired a horse drawn wagon and a teamster to haul them and their gear in another 30 miles to camp. Dad was just a young boy at the time. In these days, it was way more the exception that the norm to even see a deer, let alone shoot one. They were nearing the end of their stay in camp. All the others had broken camp that morning. Grampa finally saw a deer, and killed it with his old shotgun. They ended up getting snowed in at the campsite, and had to wait out the storm for a couple days. Low on supplies by then, they ate a lot of deer meat. Dad said it was the best tasting venison he ever had, and said they'd have been awful hungry if not for that deer. Kinda puts a whole new spin on things when you know that deer meat is what kept them going til they could get out of there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Beef steaks, I prefer a porterhouse or T-bone followed with the ribeye. My wife prefers ribeye, so guess which I buy the most of. Anyway, grilled with butter, salt and pepper, Med. Rare. Deer steak, I take a chunk of loin or one of the better muscles off the ham, and marinate in Dales seasoning for 2-3 hours, in the fridge. I then grill it to rare. I usually cook several chunks, and any left over gets used for breakfast. I slice it pretty thin and fry in a mixture of oil and butter just until it gets hot. Does not take long at all. Then fry eggs in the left over oil and enjoy. Tenderloins get seasoned flour and fried. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Me,

Olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic, onion.
No marinade

Room temp meat is the key.

Hot grill. Medium done, but no blood.

You?.

#1 ribeye. 1.75" bone in trimmed
Brushed with clarified bacon grease, sprinkled with kosher salt.
Yes ...room temo!
500 degree cast iron pan.
40 seconds each side and rest for 5 minutes.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I prefer a good, thick bone-in rib eye. About 21 ounces will do nicely, grilled to medium rare over charcoal. For seasonings, just salt and black pepper will do fine.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ribeye is generally my favorite, but a nice cut of sirloin is a great chunk of beef. I use generic charcoal, and season with garlic and black pepper.

I sear both sides well and then put the meat over the cooler side and put the lid on for 3-4 minutes.
I like a classic medium, with a warm pink center.

Salt is a drying agent and will, if used prior to cooking reduce the juice in a steak.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A quality cut rib-eye, tenderloin, T-bone, porter...over nuclear heat to a warm center and some sauteed morels on the side. I keep the seasoning simple w kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper just before it goes on. And I'm in the boat of letting it sit at room temp for awhile before the inferno.

Last edited by 32_20fan; 07/11/15.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.