Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 38 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 37 38
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
The shotgun is the answer. It was used by both the British and the Germans but really perfected by the US troops and the Model 97 Winchester "Trench Brooms."

By late in the war getting caught by the Germans with a shotgun meant a summary execution on the spot.

I knew that one! I forgot to check back with this thread, or I'd have answered your question. I think I learned this back when the History Channel actually taught history.

Yeah, back before it became the pawn shop channel. crazy

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
The terlet is one of the world's great reading rooms.

Years ago the Wife and I was over to a neighbors and a close friend of Her's house, playing some sort of game. Trivial pursuit or something like that. She was kinda rough talking anyway and after one game She threw every thing on the table and said, "how in hell are we supposed to beat a man that keeps encyclopedias by the [bleep]." I about busted a gut. Sadly She died a few years ago. miles

I have actually done the encyclopedia in the bathroom thing. laugh

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
WWI questions:

Who was the most highly decorated soldier of WWI?

What later important national leader first tried to petition France for better and equal treatment of its colonial citizens at the Versailles Peace Conference as a young man in 1919?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why don't you just slink back off to your barrio and enjoy your leftist world view and leave everybody alone?

Nobody around here calls it a "barrio", the people are for the most part at least third and fourth-generation Americans. Neither do I have Leftist world views <shrug>

But your further resort to insults is noted, and I will take that as a affirmative that your particular interpretations do indeed represent a minority view.

Doesn't mean they are wrong of course, just in the minority, and which may account for your present unemployment in the field. No slam intended here, I am very much aware of the present intolerance among Academia in general.

I weary of your continual drivel.

You might have a better case if you didn't repeatedly falsely represent my own statements, I can only suppose on purpose. Doesn't that qualify as "drivel"?

Anyways FWIW. some of the most vicious interchanges I have read have been in debates between published Civil War Historians, in particular surrounding Tom Carhart's book "Lost Triumph: Lee's real plan at Gettysburg and why it failed.", which book apparently ruffled some academic egos.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
More proof that secessionist feelings of the time were not solely because of slavery.

http://www.voanews.com/content/nort...nfederate-holdout--131527733/163655.html

Of note up in 'Twin's neck of the woods, not far from the confluence of Schoharie Creek and the Mohawk River is the Old Stone Fort AKA "Lower Fort". During the American Revolution it was famously defended by Tim Murphy and others against Joseph Brant's mixed party of Mohawk and Tory raiders.

Eighty year later, during the War Between the States it was used as an armory, and needed to be kept under guard because of the conspicuous number of Confederate sympathizers among the area residents.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Why don't you just slink back off to your barrio and enjoy your leftist world view and leave everybody alone?

Nobody around here calls it a "barrio", the people are for the most part at least third and fourth-generation Americans. Neither do I have Leftist world views <shrug>

But your further resort to insults is noted, and I will take that as a affirmative that your particular interpretations do indeed represent a minority view.

Doesn't mean they are wrong of course, just in the minority, and which may account for your present unemployment in the field. No slam intended here, I am very much aware of the present intolerance among Academia in general.

I weary of your continual drivel.

You might have a better case if you didn't repeatedly falsely represent my own statements, I can only suppose on purpose. Doesn't that qualify as "drivel"?

Anyways FWIW. some of the most vicious interchanges I have read have been in debates between published Civil War Historians, in particular surrounding Tom Carhart's book "Lost Triumph: Lee's real plan at Gettysburg and why it failed.", which book apparently ruffled some academic egos.

Birdwatcher

I don't care one way or another what you think or your opinion of me or anything else. You simply are not worth any consideration.

Just crawl back off to the HS echo chamber and be happy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, in case you wondered, I really enjoy reading about WWI aviation. smile

I have long sympathized with the plight of those young men recruited from the trenches to become Observers in the Royal Flying Corps, escaping the mud and horrors of trench warfare only to find they were in a position where their life expectancy was even less than that of a pilot. The more fortunate among those lost were killed outright by machine gun fire at the start.

A pretty good discussion of the same can be found here....

http://www.oocities.org/bloodhound66btinternet.com/HarryTatham.htm

In reviewing the contribution of the RFC observer, it is perhaps best summarised by two quotations from Barker’s history of the Royal Flying Corps. He starts his consideration of the role of the observer by quoting Captain Leslie Horridge of No 7 Squadron who commented that ‘ the observers out here are very plucky chaps’ and ends with his own reflection that ‘what is remarkable is that so many of those who survived stuck it for so long’ . Little more needs to be said.

Birdwatcher

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't care one way or another what you think or your opinion of me or anything else.

Your frequent resort to put-downs of various sorts suggests differently.

OTOH nowhere have I stated an opinion of you at all, especially not a derogatory one. I try to be careful of such things, knowing such opinions most often reflect upon our own selves.

Just crawl back off to the HS echo chamber and be happy.

I have indeed been very happy with my path in life. When watching those kids walk the stage I often feel I have one of the very best jobs on earth cool

Best of all it ain't actually "working" as I understand the term. I tell the kids I ain't actually worked in near thirty years grin

Birdwatcher

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
anyways...what did yall think of the ken burns documentary on the civil war that wasnt a civil war

i thought he left out NUMEROUS facts on Lincoln and towed the revisionary history line on lincoln to the nth degree

if he made it over, i bet he wouldnt have a "pro-south" commentator like shelby foote either as ken burns came out recently desecrating the rebel flag

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
PBS = Bolshie mouthpiece

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wihtout shelby foote it wouldve sucked although Ken Bearss wasnt too bad... that was from 89 or 90 so it was pre "PC" days

i liked all the old photos and he represented bedford forrest very well while leaving out others like wade hampton completely

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It was interesting history, but frankly, I can't revel in Civil War history like I can other history. It is too near and dear to my heart. It literally makes me sad when I realize all that was lost, not then really, but now as a result.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
PBS = Bolshie mouthpiece

Austin City Limits [sometimes]

Marfa Public Radio [Saturday nights]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yes I concur Curdog.

That's about it!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75
anyways...what did yall think of the ken burns documentary on the civil war that wasnt a civil war

i thought he left out NUMEROUS facts on Lincoln and towed the revisionary history line on lincoln to the nth degree

if he made it over, i bet he wouldnt have a "pro-south" commentator like shelby foote either as ken burns came out recently desecrating the rebel flag

Burns is better with stuff like baseball than military history.

Almost everything on PBS is PC to the Max.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
WWI questions:

Who was the most highly decorated soldier of WWI?

What later important national leader first tried to petition France for better and equal treatment of its colonial citizens at the Versailles Peace Conference as a young man in 1919?

C'Mon, no takers on the questions? smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Without even trying the answer to the second question is Ho Chi Minh.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Alvin York

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
York is the easy answer but apparently, it was some guy named Harry Murray.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Without even trying the answer to the second question is Ho Chi Minh.

You got it. Uncle Ho was driven to the Marxist camp by the French rebuff at Versailles and after spending a few years in Lenin's Russia became a full blown Revolutionary.

Page 32 of 38 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (270wsmnutt, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 219DW, 56 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,276
Posts18,525,527
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.