-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What's up with the 358 Winchester ? I have 9 on the books to build. I haven't built this many 358's in a long time. Never had this many at once. I like the round as its very useful. Has a writer done an article lately on the 358 ? Someone make some new brass or something ? This has flung such a craving on me I think I need one for myself. Anyone have any ideas ?
<br>Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charlie
<br>
<br>Let me make a heretical suggestion: talk one of your clients into letting you build the rifle on a Savage 99. For interesting commentary on the cartridge, see www.chuckhawks.com
<br>
<br>Miki

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure, but I sure would like to have my pushfeed Winchester .243 turned into a switch barrel with a .358 being the number two barrel!!
<br>
<br>How much?? How Much??
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Winchester made a run of brass recently that's very good. Don't know if it's still available, though. I got 100 from Midway and it worked great in my two .358's--but it's still very easy to make out of .308, especially if you have a .338-06 die to do the .30-.33 expanding, then neck up to .35.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I blame the feral hog. Okie John.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that feral hog reply is good one.
<br>
<br>may i offer another suggestion?
<br>
<br>the hunting public's fascination with ultra-long-range calibers is starting to run its course as hunters rediscover that most of their shots are far closer than they remembered before buying a long-range thumper.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charlie, I think you can blame (or credit) this medium right here. On Accurate Reloading there seems to be an awful lot of talk about this cartridge. Besides I think Craig Boddington did a story a while back about cartridges that are no longer needed (or some such) and he mentioned the .358 Win. To me that is as good a reason to own one as any. Not that I need any other reason (I have 2. 1 rifle, 1 handgun)

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Loneeagle
<br>Is the recoil a little stiff in the handgun?
<br>Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charlie,
<br>You know it when it goes off, but the mid-grip stock of the MRI Lone Eagle makes it more pleasant to shoot than the .308 Win barrel I had for my Encore. I have shot plenty of factory loads through the gun but settled on a handload with a 225 Ballistic Tip. I loaded 100 of them when I settled on that load and don't remeber the exact load (before my better record keeping days) but it is just over a starting load w/IMR-4198 from the Sierra manual.
<br>The worst recoil (felt) was with Hornady 180 gr Single Shot pistol Bullets. They really snapped my wrist. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 358 was one of my favorites for years and I would love to have Charkie Sisk build one with a receiver sight if I can find a light stock with enough drop.
<br>
<br>

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Charlie, Charlie:
<br>
<br>Like Brer Rabbit said, "Puhleeze, pulleeze don't throw me in dat briar patch"
<br>
<br>I've got a brand new unused set of RCBS dies in .358, and 10 boxes(200 cases) of new Winchester .358 brass that I picked up from a gunshop that was going out of business a few years ago, for a song and a dance. The ONLY thing that has kept me from doing anything is my sweet shooting .35 Whelen.
<br>
<br>.......However....... I COULD envision a short action Remington with a 20" gas pipe. Short and handy. Much like my old Remington 600 in .308, which I sold (sob,sob) a few years ago. The .358, at least to me, has always beeen an underrated cartridge. That configuration would be great for heavy woods/cover shooting.
<br>
<br>Oh, Charlie, puhleeze don't throw me in dat briar patch

....oaklane (Mike)

"Take any advice you receive(mine included), weigh with a grain of salt(10lbs) and some common sense and you'll be fine"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vern:
<br>
<br>Lone wolf makes a stock called the summit XL which from the pictures looks like it has too much drop for a scope. Might be just right for reciever sight. They can be very light as well.
<br>
<br>Oh-Oh!! busted.......now ya hafta build it.
<br>
<br>JimF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
oaklane
<br>I would never throw a fellow shooter into the briar patch[Linked Image]..........but I will post some pictures when I get the next one finished.!!![Linked Image]
<br>Charlie

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gents
<br>
<br>Amused by you folks who turn pale at the sight of anything but a bolt action. Seems to me that a 358 is a natural for a lever gun, either a Browning BLR or a Savage 99. Not for a Rem 7600 pump because you can get that in .35 Whelen. The Browning or Savage will give up maybe 1" in potential group size to a bolt gun but that makes no difference at .358 ranges. And you don't have that nasty bolt handle sticking out to snag branches. My factory 99 .358 with 24" barrel and antique K3 Weaver with post reticle has kept the only two factory loads I have tried at about 1.5" at 100 for three shot groups. Never dared to find out what would happen with a five shot group, and don't care.
<br>
<br>miki

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Charlie: I think it's just too useful to die and it is perfect in a short action or pump. Speaking of pumps ! How about a rechamber of a Rem 7600 pump in 35 Rem. I know where one is sitting brand new. Is this possible as i have heard that the locking lug insert in the barrel would be a problem. How much to do if possible? Would be a hell of a brush gun. Thanks, Swede96.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the .358 Winchester since 1966. It's my favorite woods cartridge and I have two 99's and a M70 in that round. I shoot the 180 Speer for deer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,386
Posts18,527,640
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.