Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BASIC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi,I'd like to buy a 6.5X55 but no one makes a LH,nor do I think anyone is going to come out with on,though I've heard that CZ will come out with a LH but again I doubt in 6.5.Does anyone know the twist in the Ruger and the CZ,I'm looking for a fast twist as I'd like to shoot heavy bullets.Any toughts on the good and bad of both rifles?Thanks.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Having had both, I'll take a CZ, unless it's a tang (where it oughta be) safety Ruger. The CZ is a straight-up Mauser, and very nice in performance. The Ruger might occasionally look a bit better, but the CZ just plain works... and shoots.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a counterpoint to VA's advice, you might want to check the weights of both models and see how they feel to you.

I had a CZ 550 American in 6.5 x55 and found it to be heavy -- and I like rifles that out of the box come in around 8.5 lbs -- but not very well balanced. In my hands, it was slow pointing and felt 'clunky'.

Almost all factory 6.5s Swedes will be twisted about the same and long throated to allow for heavier longer bullet use in the 160 gr range.

I also hear that the 6.5 may be available in a special run of Ruger 1As next year! That would work well for a lefty. I am not waiting for it. I have a custom Ruger #3 on the way that will be in a short barrel 22 inch profile but still weigh in around 8lbs -- scoped. That profile offers a perfect compact walking around deer rifle in my book.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 09/24/06.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sako made their 75 Hunter (and maybe others) in 6.5mm left hand; not sure if they made it over to the US, but they did make them!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have owned both Rugers and currently CZs. I'd pick the CZ any day of the week, any time of day. First, out-of-box accuracy was substantially better with the CZs I have owned over the Rugers I have owned in the same caliber, 7x57mm. I sent one of the Ruger's I owned back to the factory for some work. One of my complaints was the best I could do were 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards with any load. Ruger responded that 2.5 inches was well "within" its range of acceptable accuracy at 100 yards. That was the last Ruger I owned. I will admit that there is more wood on the CZ than other rifles, but the rifes come up well, point well and feel well to me. I'm not a big man, 5'9'' and I weigh 165 lbs and the CZ 550 fits me very well. The last thing I would describe it as is "clubby." Not all the time but many times the stock wood has more figure in it than Rugers. Some who do not like CZs quickly say the actions have a "gritty" cycle to them. I have not found one CZ that feels any more "gritty" than Rugers I have owned, Winchesters I have cycled, or Remingtons I have cycled. As far as the barrel twist, I think it is 1x8.66. All that said, nothing is certain in life even with custom rifles. You can get a lemon in buying a CZ, but I hear of far, far fewer lemons in them than I do in other rifles. You really need to go to a gunshop carrying both rifles you are interested in, and inspect them side-by-side. Tom Purdom

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Half-minute accuracy, while pleasant to observe, is in no way superior to one-minute accuracy in any serious rifle.
Col. (RET.) Jeff Cooper
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If Ruger puts the 6.5 in the 1A, I'll own one.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7x57 Mauser,

You make a good point on the accuracy difference. The CZ barrel is free floated from the factory and it it has that nice single set trigger that allows you to eliminate trigger pull as a factory-installed obstacle to accuracy.

I have no particular warm feeling for Ruger 77s as my only keeper after owning and selling a bunch of them is a VBZ squirrel gun that was and remains wonderfully accurate out of the box. The others in a range of calibers from 6 mm Rem to .35 Whelen all shot well enough but only AFTER trigger work, glass bedding the action, and floating the barrel -- essentially what CZ gives you out of the box! Even then the 77s all got sold w/o much post sale angst as I have switched over largely to single shots.

I admit that feel is always a subjective issue. And Ruger #1s can spoll a guy on that point.

Regards,
1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Basic, As to the part of your oringinal question that looks like no one has answered yet...according what I found on the factory websites and JMHO:

CZ 550,
FullStock @ 7.4 lbs, 1x8.6 twist, 20.5" barrel, iron sights, 18 LPI turkish walnut w/handcut checkering euro styled stock for easy use of iron sights, fully adjustable single set trigger that is cocked by pushing the trigger forward for the lighter"set" trigger weight, steel floor plate and trigger guard, steel scope rings (not included) & receiver integral scope base's w/5 shot capacity magazine not including one in the chamber.

American- same features as above with 1x8.6 twist but 23.6" barrel, American style rollover cheekpiece stock, no iron sights but with steel scope rings included, at approx 8lbs w/ decelarator kick pad. (my9.3x62 American weighs less than that at about 7lbs 10oz's- wood density?)

Ruger 77 MkII
Standard Grade (only 6.5x55 available) 1x8" twist 22" barrel w/no iron sights, American Black Walnut w/machine cut checkering and straight comb no cheekpiece stock, weighs 7 1/4lbs w/ non skid solid kick pad, non adjustable "lawyerized" trigger famous for heavy out of the box pull weight that will need 'smith tuning or Basix/Timney replacement to reach 3lb or less release and zero creep, floor plate and trigger gaurd are non steel alloy as are included scope rings, 4 shot magazine capacity not included with one in the chamber.

Pro's and cons? IMO both guns need to be tuned as far as bedding and smoothing out the action. IMO the Ruger weighs a little less by using lighter components from the size of the stock to the alloy bottom metal and shorter barrel, the Ruger trigger I'll let speak for it self, the 6.5 does not need a big kick pad but the overall feel of the guns to me is that the CZ American is a bigger gun. I see the CZ's added barrel length as useful but not a high priority as most people think according to the John Barsness article in the last edition of Handloader...and would suggest you consider the CZ FullStock as well. CZ's reputation for accuracy is growing and I don't hear near the complaints about CZ's customer service dept that you will hear here on 24HCF about Ruger's. I've had no issues with my 9.3 American but I have not shot it much either, and have not owned a Ruger 77 in a very long time, but owned maybe a dozen or so tang saftey Rugers over the years with no major complaints except the trigger and bedding issues even in the old days.

I just spent the last several months comparing at length a Ruger 77 UltraLite SS/syn against another brand and chose the other brand for my dealer to order for me. You might want to look at in a 6 lb 10 oz 6.5x55 Tikka Standard or Dlx Grade with it's great fully adjustable trigger and near legendary out of the box accuracy. YES I know Tikka's are a love/hate deal for a lot of guys though.

IMO of the two guns in 6.5x55 you've chosen to compare, a CZ or a Ruger 77 ... I would most likely buy a CZ, but you need to buy what physically fits you best and is the most affordable for your needs. Good Luck
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

I also hear that the 6.5 may be available in a special run of Ruger 1As next year!

I've got some 6.5 dies, ammo, bullets and brass lying around from a surplus M96 I sold a decade ago. I guess I'd better put those supplies on the Classified board now to avoid temptation next year.

JF

IC B3

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a new Ruger in 6.5x55 a couple of years ago and could not get it to shoot, even after bedding, floating etc.

I now own a Tikka T3 in the same, and what a difference! Out the box it shoots very well and all I did was adjust the triggerto my taste.

IMO a T3 will outshoot any Ruger out the box any day BUT as someone pointed out- you have got to like them!

As well as Cz, another rifle I would consider would be the Steyr Mannlicher in that caliber. I have never owned one but all reports I have read suggest they are exteremely accurate rifles.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

As well as Cz, another rifle I would consider would be the Steyr Mannlicher in that caliber. I have never owned one but all reports I have read suggest they are exteremely accurate rifles.

Yes, they are, without any doubt! Sure, they cost nocticably more than the Ruger's or CZ's...... but..... they hava a fully adjustable trigger, changeable spacers for adapting the length of pull, durable finish (if not ordered in stainless), a very good and ergonomic stock (the black one is glassfibre reinforced) and a very ergonomic and reliable three position - safety which blocks the firing pin. And last but not least.... one of the strongest and well built bolt actions available on the market which is tested for safety up to 8000 bar. Not to speak of the accuracy out of the box..... I never had a Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter (as well as my hunting buddies never had some of them) which did not shoot sub MOA right out of the box. That's the reason for having actually 6 of them....

Gerry

B
BASIC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the respone.Tikka,I forgot they make a 6.5X55 and I understand their going to come out with a LH(I'm sure not in 6.5 though).I have heard the older M77 didn't shoot as well as some others but I thought the Mk II were better,I guess not.I also read CZ has a custom shop,if they do come out with a LH(not in 6.5)how hard could it be to re-barrel?The 550FS sound neat,I like the shorter 20" bbl.,how does the full stock affect accuracy?Any opinions on the Tikkas?If I could afford a Steyer,I'd buy a Blazer in LH.Thankyou all again for your help.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Tikka T3's are a 22" barrel that in a 6.5 will only be available in a Std or Dlx grade....which is my personal bitch as I would buy one in a SS/Syn instead of the caliber selection I gave the dealer last week to find for me in a 270/308 flip a coin, '06 or 7-08 as a birthday present to myself. I intend to have the barrel reduced a couple inch's and use it as a carbine as an everyday Texas critter getter and back up to my 300Winnie M70 if/when I get to go to the Rockies next year for their variety of extra large deer.
Can't say about the accuracy of the CZ FS's but pull a search on here and on AR and see what you get back for comments. I've thought about dumping my 9.3 American for a 9.3 FS for a HD brush gun and may yet do it sometime...just no hurry for the time being.

Find the Barsness article in the recent issue of Handloader magazine on barrel length effects on velocity...I was amazed.

If the T3 I just ordered is anywhere near the gun my Tikka WTHunter 270 Std grade is I will be a happy camper...but I wanted a lighter rifle all up than the over 8+lbs the WTH is, and that was what prompted the Ruger UL /Tikka T3 comparison. Besides I like the T3's slightly heavier barrel too. Have fun.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seem to see more Steyer Prohunters in .260 here in the US than I have in 6.5x55. Does anyone have one in the Swede?

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger M77 MkII in 6.5x55 Swede. I like it very much. I've found it to be very accurate out of the box with both light (100 gr) and heavy (160 gr-- especially Hornady) bullets. The trigger needs work to be all it can be. I don't have any experience with the CZ, but the several people I have talked with who have them like them alot. As for the Tikka, I almost got one instead of the Ruger, but to me it looks a little less traditional than the Ruger (or CZ), so I went with the Ruger instead. The Tikka has a plastic removable magazine. But, like the CZ, everybody I've talked to who has one likes it. They seem to be very accurate. Seems like maybe just wait to see which one offers it in LH. OR wait for the No. 1...

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

some early CZs in 6.5x55 came through with the Bavarian stock and 26.5" barrels. Tried to buy one on GB about two years ago but did reach the seller's goofy high reserve.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I just bought a 6.5X55 SS/syn T3 off of Gunbroker. I haven't received it yet but am looking forward to it. The info I got from inquiries from dealers around here, was that they were only available to stocking dealers. I just happened accross the auction a few days ago and jumped on it. I think it will be one nice rifle that should go 7 pounds with a 3x9 VX II.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went thru the lefty bolt in 6.5x55 thing a few years, ago...I moved on, when I got my tikka whitetail hunter lefty in 7mm-08. I still would like a lefty 6.5x55, but no biggy anymore

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a south paw ruger of your choice and send it to douglas for a new tube in 6.5x55 and you will be all set.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 74 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,226
Posts18,485,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.