Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Curious shelby foote says fredricksburg...but picketts was awful...

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having walked both spaces with nothing worse then hot weather to contend with, I don't really see picking a 'winner' to this one. Moving against massed gun fired in open spaces, against a fortified enemy.

If you haven't enjoyed approaching a fortified position under gunfire, try walking across your yard, with a couple of people shooting you with airsoft, from behind your car. Then imagine them little plastic BBs as Minie. And hundreds of yards instead of a dozen.

I would break the tie, because of the amount of time the wounded and survivors lay out on the field at Fredricksburg, under fire. Read Chamberlain's account.

Brave men to endure what that must have been.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Neither were fun for the men involved. I've been to Gettysburg and looking at that field and thought have brave Pickett's men had to be to make that charge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fredericksburg.

Pickett only made one charge and it damned near worked.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Of the two listed choices, it would be Gettysburg, to me.

(The worst of all, though, had to have been Cold Harbor.)

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Neither were fun for the men involved. I've been to Gettysburg and looking at that field and thought have brave Pickett's men had to be to make that charge.
Amen!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been to both places. Gettysburg was a flat, wide open field with the enemy in sight on the other side. Pickett made one charge and it nearly worked.

Fredericksburg was a hill, open and steep, with the enemy behind a stone wall at the top. At Fredericksburg, charge after charge was made and after the first the charges were over and around the bodies of dead and wounded who failed earlier. Those later charges were by soldiers brought across a river and a canal, under fire, to make those charges.

Pickett's charge was foolish bravery by Pickett and Lee. Fredericksburg was insane butchery of their own men by the Union commanders.

Now, if you want to talk about a simply savage battle, perhaps the most brutal any Americans have ever fought in throughout our history, look to The Bloody Angle.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gettysburg was one instance that Lee should have listened to Longstreet!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 55 invisible), 3,212 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.