Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tjm10025

You guys understand that the OP's link is to a story about feral cats in Australia, right? Which is a situation not remotely like any farm property belonging to any of the US forum members posting here, right?

A feral cat in Australia is not a haystack cat, or a barn cat, or somebody's daughter's cat. Nothing remotely like it. Not even close.
Any cat on my property is feral unless I recognize it as the neighbor's. This thread is a helluva lot better than another thread on how we better vote for Jethro or the Supremes are gonna "go" liberal.

As an aside, a Para double-stack .45 makes a good cat-gun.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Just tell the Chinese it'll make their peckers bigger.

Endangered species by Christmas......

Genius Award , right there. And funny as Hell.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I hear blunts work good, too..

Sometimes metal blunts with the four wire prongs stick in them and they can steal your arrow.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Years ago while I was going to school, we lived in a trailer park for a couple of years. There was a big feral cat problem. The park manager trapped a bunch but he couldn't keep up with them. In particular, there was a huge steel blue tom that terrorized every cat in the park, pets and wild alike. He was one mean Jose. I called him Fluffy.

One night we came home and somehow he'd torn out a window screen and got in the house. I told the boys to close the window and get ready for a chase. The rein of terror was going to end that night.
It took us 45 min to finally corner him under a dresser. I had the boys wrap a trashy old blanket around the legs and told them when he came out to roll him up in the blanket. Then I went to work with a broom handle. A few good whacks and he tried to run the barricade. The boys did a great job of rolling him up. He went nowhere.

I put him in the trunk of the car (still rolled tight in the blanket), a short drive to the country, a 20 ga. load of #4's from 6', and no more Fluffy.

Hope you had a good stock of mercurochrome laid by before you started! grin

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I figure any cat i come across several miles from town while quail or coyote or deer hunting is a feral quail killer.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

You guys understand that the OP's link is to a story about feral cats in Australia, right? Which is a situation not remotely like any farm property belonging to any of the US forum members posting here, right?

A feral cat in Australia is not a haystack cat, or a barn cat, or somebody's daughter's cat. Nothing remotely like it. Not even close.

Quit trying to un-hijack this thread. Can't you see people are enjoying their little hissy-fits? Live and let live, dude.
wink

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So, I have reviewed the posts here and developed some definitions and guidelines for myself:

Do not shoot cats that are on private property that is not your own.

A feral cat is not a barn cat, a haystack cat nor is it your neighbor’s daughter’s cat.

A barn cat, haystack cat or your neighbor’s daughter’s cat is not a feral cat unless said cat is away from it’s owner’s property may be considered a feral cat.

If the cat is wearing a collar, it may indeed be your neighbor’s daughter’s cat and should only be shot if there are extenuating circumstances.

Cats may only be dispatched if my wife is not at home. Oddly, it is the same for coyotes. I am down on them since coyotes killed my daughter’s dog. (btw, I have since gotten two of them near my house)

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rule at the farm is.. if its more than 1/4 mile from the barn it gets wacked, we've had the same 5 cats prowling around killin chit for a few years now, and they dont get out of the barn yard. I do have to wack a feral tom every once and awhile. Kilt' one during deer season last year with my ditch cougar load. 7wsm 63.5gr rl22 and a 120gr vmax.....poof

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Quit trying to un-hijack this thread. Can't you see people are enjoying their little hissy-fits? Live and let live, dude.
wink

Sean now knows what's it's like to be Donald Trump.

"Australians are killing feral cats."

"Don't you be killing my barn cat!"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Crats that come up and eat my barn cats food and chase them off, big toms that pizz all over my buildings, the spooks that hang out in the timber and run when when they are out in the light of day, the ones you see a 1/2 mile from any house or more. Bang flop

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Whilst in the U.S. we have idiots (generally females and their emasculated male servants) who feed, water, and pay for medical treatment of these damned things, the Aussies have a better idea -

https://news.vice.com/article/felin...million-feral-cats?utm_source=vicenewsfb

i helped while there grin

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just so folks realize that feral cats in Australia are even worse than feral cats here, the little native marsupials they are wiping out are considerably less on the ball in that regard than are reg'lar placental rodents like we have here.

Anyways, I'll be surprised if Australian authorities succeed in carrying out this plan, over all the protests and legal challenges that are gonna break out.

Around my place as best I can recollect we have lost like nine or ten cats in the last fifteen years. What seems to happen is about six or eight months of age they discover they can get up on the roof and how much fun it is for them to run around up there after dark.

Great horned owls.

Earlier this year the lady across the street had her three tiny chihuahuas "stolen". About a week later around 4am I seen a huge owl perched in the tree in her yard. I didn't have the heart to tell her.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
4ager: I always check to see if the field lions (feral cats) have a collar/license on them before I shoot them!
If they have a collar and are Hunting birds they get a pass or two - the third time I see them they get shot.
I live 3/4 of a mile from the county road and am just outside a small SW Montana town - in 18 years here I have seen five vehicles pull up near my mailbox and dump cats!
I watch them do this with my binoculars and sometimes with my spotting scope.
Sometimes these turds even leave the cardboard boxes they transport them in!
Lazy, irresponsible and cruel are these folks.
I often find cat carcasses (usually small ones/kittens!) that die of cold or starvation (no bullet holes) around my place.
Once I even saw two dudes park their pickup truck in our downtown area and they opened up a cardboard box in the bed of the pick-up and went into a tavern. I saw this from the window of a restaurant and by the time we were done eating 6 or 7 small cats had bailed out of that trucks bed!
All of this in a town WITH a humane society affiliated pet shelter - that will take in unwanted pets for free no questions asked and a no kill policy (unless the animals are sick)!!!
I have tried humane live traps but feral cats are tough to catch and a skunk in a live trap IS a mess.
So, long time back I developed my song bird/game bird/baby cottontail saving, current policy.
Shoot and shovel.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ya got critters -
keep 'em home!

(Then they're your problem, and nobody else's)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I remember a policeman vs fireman hockey game years ago with a dinner afterwards.
After the dinner a friend says "Do you know what you are eating? Dog killed deer
"
I just happened to have a 3" buckshot load handy on the way home when I saw a feral dog.
My wife whimpered a little
. I felt fine about it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Ya got critters -
keep 'em home!

Gracey ATE one of my neighbor's cats once, Mark.

I was trying to be stern with her, and she kept giving me that zany grin of hers,...I wound up laughing my azz off,...

I vetted the crap (literally) out of her,....and am thankful she did not catch something off the bugger.

GLAD I live in a zone with a fair population of Coyotes, it simplifies the whole issue.

GTC.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
A farm cat is not a feral cat.

There is a difference between a farm cat and a feral cat.
If you know what to look for . . .

> https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3850/14842631674_742025ffe3_z.jpg

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Ya got critters -
keep 'em home!

Gracey ATE one of my neighbor's cats once, Mark.

I was trying to be stern with her, and she kept giving me that zany grin of hers,...I wound up laughing my azz off,...

I vetted the crap (literally) out of her,....and am thankful she did not catch something off the bugger.

GLAD I live in a zone with a fair population of Coyotes, it simplifies the whole issue.

GTC.

Pure SO AZ awesome.

Cheers cross!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had a neighbor who brought home some female cats to control mice and rats in his horse barn.
He paid no attention to neutering them and you know that they created a population explosion of feral cats until a couple of 'yotes moved in and cleaned house.
About 6 of them disappeared in 2 - 3 weeks.

We have also had several kittens disappear when we found a hawk hanging around our place.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My house in AL was in a very small subdivision outside the city limits. I had a pre-built "cave" of landscaping bricks, and when I saw a cat in the yard, out came the sardines and a body gripping trap. Almost always had a dead one in the morning.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.