Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Gang,

Just thought I would help a buddy out and ask a question on the most informative hunting site out there.

A buddy and his son are going to be hunting in Unit 23 in New Mexico for deer, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on the unit/hunt? I don't think they are picky as to species, but if anyone has any idea on where to start looking or any good places to hunt. It would surely be appreciated as it will be a father son hunt.

Thanks in advance and good hunting.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Refresh my memory - is that along the Az/NM state line?

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
it is the unit above GMU 27 on the AZ/NM state line. Kind of a wierd shaped unit on the state line.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Sorry for not getting back for a bit.

My hunting has been in the Gila Wilderness near the Nat'l Monument north of Silver City, the Leupold wilderness in what they call the Black Range, plus I think Unit 16 to the south of Reserve and down toward Glenwood.

If you're north of there and Luna, afraid I can't help much.

The area south of Reserve and up against the state line has some nice deer, but lots of hunters. The elk hunters have usually got the deer pretty well spooked by deer season.

The Gila Wilderness and the Leupold Wilderness areas have nice quantities of deer, but you have to pack in to really get at them. Been several years since I've hunted over there, so don't know what the crowds are like.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
kdub,

Thanks for the info. I think 23 is south of Luna. My buddy went up there yesterday to scout. Hopefully he'll find something good. Do you know if there's better hunting for Coues or Mule deer up there?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Only saw mulies on my hunts, however, still swear a small 3 point was one of them crossbreeds. Had the rack of a whitetail and the black tipped tail of a mulie. This was over by Gila Hot Springs in the Turkey Creek area of the Gila Wilderness.

Your best bet is to get as close to the state line as possible. There's a lot of road traffic/hunting off SR #180.

Strangely, the last 4 point I took was in a clear cut where folks had been cutting fire wood. One of the cutters was operating a chain saw and throwing chunks of firewood into his pickup the day I nailed the buck. Was getting frustrated as to the noise and how long it took him. About 15 minutes after he left, 3 dandy bucks snuck out of the timber's edge where he had been, run down to the middle of the clear cut and then crossed broadside to me at about 250 yds. All looked about the same size, so picked the leader and let the 6.5-06 fly. He went about 60 yds and crawled up under a half dead cedar and died.

Guess what I'm saying, is don't overlook the obvious. Good luck with your hunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 14idaho, 31 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,120
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.