Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm booked at Broadmouth Canyon Ranch in Sept of next year for elk. Deciding on gear is half the fun. I've been toying with various 300s, 338s and 340s, but I think I'm going to take this:
McMillan Stocked pre-64 70
[Linked Image]

200M target:

[Linked Image]

This is my first elk hunt and although my first thought was to take my favorite rifle, my 300 Weatherby, I want to give this rifle a shot. I'd be interested to hear from you elk hunters on selection. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that was my rifle, I'd damned sure take it! Wishing you good luck and good hunting.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would find a lighter 700 in 308 to take. grin

Guessing that one will do more than fine. Hope you have a great time.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You should have included ANY AI cartridge to REALLY set me off! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, if you could find a load that really grouped... grin

DF

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Excellent choice! I've shot elk with the 300 H&H in a Ruger No. 1 and have carried my pre-64 300 H&H numerous times hoping to do same.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My general walkabout deer/elk rifle is a lowly FN made Model 93 7x57 that I have made about as light as possible and topped with a 1.75x6 VX3 w/European style heavy duplex in angle-loc steel rings. It's loaded w/book max loads of Nosler 175 PT's and yes it has been checked out by a very reputable gunmaker who rebarreled it several years ago. With a simple leather adjustable sling, QD swivels and 9 rounds in a butstock holder it weighs 7.6# on the nose and will shoot through an elk from most any angle. Good luck on your hunt! Muddy

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You should have included ANY AI cartridge to REALLY set me off! smile

I almost put 7X57AI to piss you and the new moderator off.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jorge,
I checked the Broadmouth Canyon website for elevation. They indicated that most of the hunting was between 4,500ft to 9,000ft. If you are talking about you doing the walking as opposed to a horse, I would go with the very lightest rifle I owned that would kill an elk. I don't know your elevation in Florida, but mountains multiply the weight of every ounce.

I started carrying a 7mm SAUM with everything on it pared down and wearing a Leupold 6X.

Our outfitter has told me that I could stand to lose the weight of the rifle several times over and that would help more than carrying a lighter rifle. I told him that he wasn't my cardiologist and to keep his stupid opinions to himself. (I didn't, but it sounded good in my mind...)

Enjoy making the choice and the hunt. It sounds like a great time!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jorg that'll work! wink

Good luck, enjoy and have fun!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, guys. Johnny, we'l be hunting off horses in the Idaho property. Over the last two years I managed to drop fifty pounds and I'm back to running 3miles/dayX4 times/week. Still, I'll be 62 then and the Outfitter Roulan Jones knows this. That rifle is about 8lb with a full magazine.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Good luck on your hunt Jorge.

The .300 H&H will do the job,if you do yours. But you already knew that. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm booked at Broadmouth Canyon Ranch in Sept of next year for elk. Deciding on gear is half the fun. I've been toying with various 300s, 338s and 340s, but I think I'm going to take this:
[Linked Image]

200M target:

[Linked Image]

This is my first elk hunt and although my first thought was to take my favorite rifle, my 300 Weatherby, I want to give this rifle a shot. I'd be interested to hear from you elk hunters on selection. J

Excellent choice. I don't think you can do much better than that... Very classy and looks great in that Micky..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think yours is a fine choice. Something about a classic 300 H&H in a classic rifle that is hard to find fault in.

Mine made years ago, with the "walk about" aspect front and foremost, and after agonizing over it was a Remington model 7 KS in .350 mag. I wanted something somewhat light with a substantial cartridge. Topped it with a 1.5 x 5 Leupy heavy reticle.

Used it on only one elk hunt but did not get a shot. It sure was a pleasure carrying it on that trip, and many others. Bit of a thumper (on both ends) but I love the way it carries and handles.

Last edited by cv540; 08/03/15.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Only thing is Jorge,a .300 H&H and a 180 gr Nosler Partition go together like peaches & cream.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
There has never been an elk hunter who said "gee, I wish I weighed 30 pounds more," or "gee, I was hoping the hills would be steeper and taller," or "gee, I wish my gun weighed 3 pounds more."

Be able to hit a paper plate 5 for 5 at 200 yards from sitting, and 5 for 5 at 400 from a supported rest. If you are using something like shooting sticks, practice being able to get into position and an effective shot off in about 5 seconds. (Sometimes things happen pretty quick, and the elk just don't stand there.)

That gun and load are absolutely up to the task--now you need to make sure you are not the weak link in the system.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
jorg, you have excellent taste in rifles and ladies.. Very best of luck on your hunt.. Remember anything a 308 can do,a .300 H & H can do far better!!! Shoot straight and get a huge one!! Looking forward to the photos..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

200M target:

[Linked Image]

Since you are interested to hear about our selection in elk rifles. I'll be using something fairly similar this year, except it is 7 3/4 pounds (I know it's a "heavy azzed pre 64" blah blah blah) all up and a 338 win mag wink :

[Linked Image]

Mine's also built on an H&H action, but has a stainless barrel, its also been cerakoted midnight blue. I also wanted to ad, good luck on your elk hunt buddy!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Only thing is Jorge,a .300 H&H and a 180 gr Nosler Partition go together like peaches & cream.

My other 300 H&H, my pre-war wood stocked LOVES the Noslers and that is my backup rifle.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Excellent Sir! cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.