-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muletrain, you may be right. The first deer released here in the late 20's were put in over around Normangee. They came from the hill country. Now the old stock native deer were never all killed out. There always were some up around the Chalacomb country so my Dad and others told me. I have seen a few head that were collected in the late teens and early twenties and they are different by degree from todays. Don't sound reasonable but maybe some of the old stock genes are still in operation.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I'll jump in here...<P>Four big problems with baiting in Wisconsin (my observations only).<P>1. On public land, just because some guy has a bait pile (usually illegal because he has more than the 10 gallons allowed and he shoots deer off of it after dark) he now thinks that the whole area is his hunting area and if you come any where near it you are hunting his bait pile.<P>2. The frequency of shots heard after legal shooting hours has increased with the increase of baiters. The big bucks will not come into a bait pile until well after dark. Hence, many baiters are violators.<P>3. Baiting has disrupted the natural feeding patterns of deer making it more difficult to hunt by standing, still hunting or trail watching.<P>4. DNR managers have loosened the regulations regarding baiting in hopes of killing more deer. While baiters are shooting does, yearlings, fawns and young bucks, the larger bucks become more nocturnal eating their fill at night and bedding most of the day. Hunters now have to rely more on breeding activity to get a good buck.<P>I don't believe baiting in Wisconsin contributes to a quality deer hunting experience. This opinion is flavored by my 30 years of deer hunting tradition. I think it is fine for other states with other traditions. I just don't think it has any place in Wisconsin. I don't think baiting teaches anyone anything about the outdoors to sit over a bait pile and shoot a deer coming into an unnatural food source. It disrupts natural deer movement, makes hunters more territorial, and increases illegal activity. Hell, if we were allowed to hunt at night with spotlights we sure could increase the harvest but I don't think we want to go there, even if they do it in Australia (can they even have guns there anymore?)

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
well, heres my opinion on deer baiting, its illegal in my state and i'm glad it is, i think its a chickensh*t way to hunt, like squirrel said 'where is the hunt?' i have filled my buck tag every year since 1979, and have never had a reason to cheat with bait, if you sit for 30 days and dont see a deer, you are doing something wrong, learn to hunt and you'll see deer...gut

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey There<BR> Where I grew up in Calif.game mangamant was and IMHO a joke,not being able to hunt in the area your home is in,you could live in Modoc in northern Calif.and hardly ever get picked,not being able to hunt doe's,the buck to doe numbers are crazy.IMHO has alot to do with to many tree huggers shoveing money at lawyers to keep the fish and game dept. to tied up. [img]images/icons/mad.gif" border="0[/img] <BR> Since I moved to TN and seen the difference in the doe hunting and how it keeps the heard in better balence. And how growing good food plots helps deer and turkeys,in numbers and heatlh. I can't understand why they (Calif.) don't try what works.<BR> Is this baiting? Don't know we have to have it all up two weeks before we hunt.But it works. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <BR> Just my $.02 worth. Ruttin

Take a kid huntin'and teach them well,they are our future.
T
T
If I had to take a stand, I'd side with Jackfish. I think he hit it on the head. There used to be a guy in our party who managed a feed mill near Marshfield, and he said it was unbelievable the amount of shell corn they sold in fall as bait, and it wasn't wasn't moldy or garbage. I've been hunting in WI for about 35 seasons, and it disturbs me to see some of the things that have happened to the sport. If you really want to get me going, let's talk about the TREE HOUSES (not simply tree stands) many of the guys are hunting from in the farm land!

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't only hunt deer, but the fact remains that I will not bait.. to me there is no hunt in that.... did Daniel Boone bait? lol <P>I don't and won't condemn anyone that does.<P>Guess back home where I hunted there was always food there for the deer.bean and corn fields around the timber does a fine job of keeping them there but I feel it is different had I gone out there and poured out the buckets of grain...<P>It don't matter that I get a deer or not, I plain ole love the hunt.. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

Take your children hunting, saves hunting for your children.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm wishing I hadn't posted on this thread because the truth is that I know very little about deer BAITING.I do know about deer FEEDING.I've got 3 solar powered feeders in the pasture I hunt.They operate year round.We will feed about 3 tons per year of corn that my partner gets cheap out on the S.Plains.<BR>Most of the corn is eaten by wildlife other than deer.Hogs,turkey,'coons,squirrels,quail,you name it.If they're in the pasture,they eat.I usually kill one doe out of a bunch at a feeder first day of season to make them wary of feeders and it works.My partner and I would never hunt at a feeder or allow it,but every pasture joining ours has feeders so I want the deer leery of them.<BR>When some of the animal rights folks,along with some of the sanctimonious hunters I've listened to,start investing in feeders at a grand a pop,and start spending the time it takes to keep them operating,not to mention the cost of the feed,your criticism will have more validity with me.<BR>It should be noted that we recieve no revenue from this hunting lease,we pay for it.My partner has never killed a deer in this pasture.Lest you think it's because of a lack of skill,I'll point out that he works as a guide at the largest single ranch in Texas in Jan. each year and has seen more truly big deer than most of us ever will.<P>The idea that a person who feeds deer couldn't kill a deer in a state where it is not allowed is ridiculous.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
teahcer...... haven't seen a "tree house" but I do know a fella that has a heated deer stand... I myself sit on the ground ( haven't worked up the courage to try a stand) but when I do thats what it will be.

Take your children hunting, saves hunting for your children.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gene old bud I thinks we are whuppin a dead mule. I know what you are doing and I know what I am doing feeding deer. Them that has it in mind that all we are doing is assinating bambi when he comes to lunch neither you, me or a personal letter from Jesus are going to change their mind.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yore right Boggy,but Jesus has had since July 29 to post on this thread.Funny how some of the things that seem real important to me dont seem to bother HIM much!

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (219DW, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.