Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
england in the spring or early summer. the rest of europe is really inconvenient and mostly non-friendly. germany, austria, italy, etc have some nice scenery though.

My diploma is a DD214

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Scott, I was stationed in West Germany for awhile back in the early 80's. Great people, and beautiful country!

The food, biere, and Gasthauses are with the trip alone! Not to mention, each little town has their own brewery (usually) and it's great to experience the open markets in the Fall! Gluwein vendors on the streets during the Fall make it an enjoyable way to spend the day.

I would suggest staying away from Munchen for the Oktoberfest.....way too commercialized, the smaller communtites will have them as well and they are much friendlier, and cheaper!

Most Germans, will try to help you with directions and such by speaking English, IF you try to speak to them first in their native language.

If I can help you with any information, please contact me and I'd be glad to help!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rem141r
the rest of europe is really inconvenient and mostly non-friendly.

Most of western europe is extremely convenient, it's easier to get around than in the U.S. I don't find them non-friendly at all. Paris probably has a reputation for being the most unfriendly european city. I'm in Paris on average about twice a month and have yet to meet an unfriendly Parisian, they're far nicer than the average New Yorker. I'm just a bubba from buttcrack Mississippi but even I can say 'Merci'. If you treat them with a bit of common courtesy then they'll do the same. If you show up with an obnoxious attitude which sadly some American tourists exhibit then you'll get treated like you're an a$$hole.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Prague is also a beautiful city that had minimal damage from the war and is fairly easy to navigate in English. Most of the mentioned cities and areas are at their best in late spring or early fall.

Some of your overall experience will be based on the type of transportation you use on the ground. Renting a car or camper van will give you a much different perspective and adventure than if you were to stick with a bus-based tour or whatever. Rail is a decent option.

Much of this also is dependent on if you are planning to visit many different cities or to concentrate your time in one or two.

In Western Europe, you really can't go wrong by choosing a couple of cities that intrigue you and look into a few travel guidebooks for what interests you. If you stay in accommodations on the outskirts of the large cities you can get cheaper prices and generally more flavor of the host city and country.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
the rest of europe is really inconvenient and mostly non-friendly.

Most of western europe is extremely convenient, it's easier to get around than in the U.S. I don't find them non-friendly at all. Paris probably has a reputation for being the most unfriendly european city. I'm in Paris on average about twice a month and have yet to meet an unfriendly Parisian, they're far nicer than the average New Yorker. I'm just a bubba from buttcrack Mississippi but even I can say 'Merci'. If you treat them with a bit of common courtesy then they'll do the same. If you show up with an obnoxious attitude which sadly some American tourists exhibit then you'll get treated like you're an a$$hole.

bullschit

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Not all the British gals are fat. grin

I've posted it before, but I just can't resist a setup like that...

[Linked Image]

John

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

bullschit

OK, relay your experiences then. I've only lived in Italy for six months and been flying to/from and intra europe for the last 10 years. I spent most of last week in Paris, got home from there Friday.

Enlighten me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have spent time in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

We were there in December. They were all equally impressive in their own way in my mind.

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scotland in late June. Absolutely beautiful.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're going to spend any time in London check out the Victory Services Club. Very convenient location and for London inexpensive.

http://www.vsc.co.uk/

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

bullschit

OK, relay your experiences then. I've only lived in Italy for six months and been flying to/from and intra europe for the last 10 years. I spent most of last week in Paris, got home from there Friday.

Enlighten me.

You must be French..............grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mostly German, Irish, Scottish, & English. Nary a drop of French blood. Paris is a very cool city though. Actually, if you're planning on going to Paris August is the best month. The whole country goes on vacation for the month & most of them go to the south of France, the city is pretty empty so no long lines to get into the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Scotland is awesome. Do a country tour. Eat Hagis!

Northern Italy is a great tour, good food and some really great sites to visit.

Germany is a beautiful country.
October fest is a fun visit-- kinda like a state fair, same rides, beer gardens with beer babes, and horse drawn beer wagons.

Last edited by TBREW401; 08/04/15.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Cologne Germany Cathedral:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bones of the three wise men are supposed to be in this gold reliquary box:
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Aachen Germany Cathedral:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Charlemagne's throne inside the cathedral, it's been sitting in the same spot since about 800 AD:
[Linked Image]

Charlemagne's reliquary tomb, he's buried inside:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Where in Germany were you?

Hamburg. Been to Wolfsburg and across the Elbe River to what used to be East Germany too. Still want to go to Berlin and Munich, as well as the North Sea.

Last edited by badger; 08/04/15.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Aachen old city hall:

[Linked Image]

Typical german restaurants, sit outside, drink beer & eat schnitzel:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
england in the spring or early summer. the rest of europe is really inconvenient and mostly non-friendly. germany, austria, italy, etc have some nice scenery though.

I bet you find unfriendly people wherever you travel........

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Cologne Germany Christmas Markets:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Gluwein at the Christmas Market:

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 61 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,888
Posts18,497,917
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.