Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Today I was shooting the .270 Win I bought from CAS on paper again. A few days ago I was nearly out of bullets so I bought a couple of boxes of my staple, Horn 130 gr spire point interlocks. The last time I shot the rifle on paper was nearly two weeks ago. This bullet was averaging around .75� with RL 22 and H4831. No matter what charge or seating depth groups never exceeded 1� and that includes 16 groups. Today it was tough to get the same loads under 2� and the groups were as erratic as 2" groups could possibly be. The first thing I do is rip the scope but get the same results with the replacement. The only difference between today and the last time was a new box of bullets that I used for over 10 groups shot today. Luckily I had a few bullets left over from the old box that I had used the last time so I loaded six and the two three shot groups were both under an inch. Its the new box of bullets. I�ve never seen such a dramatic lot to lot change from the same bullet. I�ve tried both powders and various seating depths, neither helped much. This new lot simply doesn't shoot in this rifle.

Has anyone ever seen such as this? I�ve not and I�ve shot a BUNCH of Horn 130 spire points.

GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Send them back to Hornady with the before and after targets.
Got some bad Noslers Btips once and they relpaced them.
-Doc-

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had the same thing happen using Sierra 150 grain Match bullets out of a 7mm Remington mag. Luckly, I did not start adjusting the scope, checking the reciever screws, checking the mounts. I still had 8 loaded rounds out of another box of Sierra bullets in the trunk of the car. I loaded 4 of the old bullets = accuracy back to normal. Four shots with the new bullets= accuracy trashed. I ended up giving the rest of the bullets to a friend who reloads in PA. He called a couple of weeks later and told me to never give him bullets again!!! He had the same experience with them I did. Looking back I wish I had sent them back to Sierra to see what they thought might be the problem.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It might not be the bullet-maker's fault, either. It doesn't take much handling abuse to make lead-cored bullets shoot badly, and that happens more than we'd like to know when a store or distributor orders one or more pallets of bullets.

I have proven this to myself by testing bullets dropped frokmvarious heights, whether in the boxes or individually. This showed up both on the Juenke bullet-concentricity machine and on targets.

John Barsness

bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought 5 boxes of 100, all with the same lot number. I've only opened one of the boxes. Are the odds that all five boxes are bad? Should I open another box and give them a whirl? I'll call Hornady tomorrow and my guess is that they have me return them all.

I just tried 140 Accubonds for the first time and the only two groups shot were both a tad under .75". I'm just proud its the bullets!!!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.