Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Went to the clinic yesterday to see about a muscle pain problem I am having in my neck/upper back/shoulder area, nothing seems to work, and the pain was getting beyond manageable. I was prescribed Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine Hcl) 10mg, twice a day. Took one last night with a late supper, after an hour or so I could not even move myself off of the sofa, absolutely no control over moving, everything went round and round, and nausea set in. Eight hours later I woke up on the floor in front of the sofa, and man, am I in pain, and sick to my stomach, and fevered.

Has anyone else here ever taken this drug and had these side effects ? That was a freaky experience, and has scared me from taking anymore. What in the hell do they put in them ? Still shaking, and still dizzy. Thinking I will not be doing much of anything today, just feel like crap. Damn, just damn !

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I take it on an as needed basis. Side effects subside a good bit after you've taken it awhile. One side effect I was warned of and had happen was a severe drop in blood pressure. But I was on 30mg a day then. I'll take it for when I get intense stomach muscle spasms from my back. Doesn't do much for pain. It's a muscle relaxer. Usually I'll take Skelaxin which for me has no side effects but works well. It to is a muscle relaxer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Chiropractors are considered witch doctors, but you may want to check it out with a chiropractor. Taking pain medicine to mask the pain is worse than the voodoo that chiropractors use to fix pain.

I was slow to accept some of the chiropractic methods, but I have seen first hand, how treatments to fix the problem that causes pain is a better alternative than covering it up with pain killers...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1

My chiropractor kept from under the knife for 20+ yrs. "Witch doctor" was first thing I thought of when I first walked in there. When he could do me no more good he contacted the med center to refer me to a neurosurgeon. He was the only chiropractor in the area they'd take referrals from.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every once in a while, I pull a muscle in my back that bends me into the shape of a question mark. To get around that, sometimes I take Flexeril as needed to relax the muscles. All it does for me is make me a tiny bit drowsy, but it works. Usually just take 1 per day at night.

My old Chiropractor had the same reaction you did to Flexeril. He only takes 1 when he wants to pass out.

There's good Chiropractors and bad ones. Stay away from the ones who immediately try to put you on a return visit schedule. A Good one has saved my bacon more than once..

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have you tryed Aleve ? gets rid of the inflamation which causes the pain.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Only problem I recall having with Flexeril was really scary dreams.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
My wife, Karen, had brain surgery about three months ago and she is still rehabilitating (and will be for an indeterminate period of time.) The surgery has left her with insomnia.

Flexeril 10mg was prescribed to Karen as a sleep aid. Her nightmares were so bad that she quit taking it.

One night, I couldn't get to sleep, so I took a pill. Holy Crap, it was like I was paralyzed ... no dreams and I slept well, but I was really dicked up in the morning.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I take a minimal dose of it once in a while for a chronic upper back muscle issue. what i usually will hit prior to taking it or in bad situations is naproxen sodium. I have had zero side effects. Usually it's for me when my back is wacking me out and i just can't lay down to sleep. It does allow me to do that.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to take them for chronic muscle spasms. I finally addressed the reason for the muscle issue and don't need them any more.
They never did affect me adversely,...affect me, affect me affe........

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Miss Lynn,

I take a Flexeril once in a while for back pain and have no side effects other than it makes me sleepy. I don't take it until I am ready to go to bed.

Have taken 2 a couple times before going to bed when I hurt really bad, and it pretty much puts me out for the night.

You might want to try taking just one and see how that works.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take it as needed when my back muscles freak out and have never had a problem, your reaction seems quite severe, you should talk to your doc to see where to go.

Good luck I wish you well.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Went to the clinic yesterday to see about a muscle pain problem I am having in my neck/upper back/shoulder area, nothing seems to work, and the pain was getting beyond manageable. I was prescribed Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine Hcl) 10mg, twice a day. Took one last night with a late supper, after an hour or so I could not even move myself off of the sofa, absolutely no control over moving, everything went round and round, and nausea set in. Eight hours later I woke up on the floor in front of the sofa, and man, am I in pain, and sick to my stomach, and fevered.

Has anyone else here ever taken this drug and had these side effects ? That was a freaky experience, and has scared me from taking anymore. What in the hell do they put in them ? Still shaking, and still dizzy. Thinking I will not be doing much of anything today, just feel like crap. Damn, just damn !

Miss Lynn... your response to cyclobenzaprine is far from typical, but not rare. I personally loathe the stuff, but I do prescribe quite a lot of it to my patients, most of whom tolerate it very well. If I take it, it puts both my eyes in one socket and I'm comatose for 12 hours. Dreadful stuff.

Cyclobenzaprine is a skeletal muscle relaxant. It relieves muscle spasms, and when used in conjunction with a NSAID, is a good choice for treatment of acute and subacute muscle pain associated with spasm. I prefer to prescribe Parafon (chlorzoxazone), or in Canada you can still get Norflex (orphenadrine), which is/are much less sedating. Physical therapy modalities including spinal manipulation by a DC or DO are also treatments of choice.

Hope you feel better soon.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EZEARL
I take it on an as needed basis. Side effects subside a good bit after you've taken it awhile. One side effect I was warned of and had happen was a severe drop in blood pressure. But I was on 30mg a day then. I'll take it for when I get intense stomach muscle spasms from my back. Doesn't do much for pain. It's a muscle relaxer. Usually I'll take Skelaxin which for me has no side effects but works well. It to is a muscle relaxer.

+1
I wont touch flexeril anymore, next day it was like i had my head in a cloud and i was in slow motion. i used Skelaxin and got great results without the hangover. this was back after my neck surgery about 8 yrs ago.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper

My wife, Karen, had brain surgery about three months ago and she is still rehabilitating (and will be for an indeterminate period of time.) The surgery has left her with insomnia.

Flexeril 19mg was prescribed to Karen as a sleep aid. Her nightmares were so bad that she quit taking it.

One night, I couldn't get to sleep, so I took a pill. Holy Crap, it was like I was paralyzed ... no dreams and I slept well, but I was really dicked up in the morning.

Steve

That sums it up for me. Makes me fall asleep hard but I'm groggy the next morning.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

I broke my back rock climbing in 1993. T5 still off-kilter, so I get bad muscle spasms occasionally.

I am 6-1 and weigh 190 pounds. 10mg is perfect for me if I don't have a damn thing to do for 8 hours, otherwise I take 5mg.

IMO, most people should take 5mg.

I love it because I don't ever need actual "pain meds" for my back. As long as I stay in-shape, I only need the flexeril once a year or so.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
One should be careful when taking it. Best not to get in to doing much at all. When I was on 30mg a day I screwed up once big time and it about did me in.

Last edited by EZEARL; 08/07/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I heard about how it was a miracle drug before and after my back surgery, but honestly it didn't do squat for me. Robaxin was the ticket. You may try that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I take a 10mg tablet everyday when I get home from work as a muscle relaxer, not a pain pill. They don't phase me like they do you, but then again I am 6'5" and 230lbs. I have never had an episode like you explained.
It takes quite a good pain pill to affect me. Percocet/hydrocodine (sp?) work more like a muscle relaxer to me with my back in the shape it is in. Oxycodine makes me a little drowsy. grin I try to get to my chiro once a week. Unfortunately my hours vary with work and like this week I haven't been able to make it.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Joe

Last edited by RoadRunner65; 08/07/15.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with Flexeril, I'm a 52 year old male and have taken Flexeril many times. My only real side effect is they slow down my urine stream a little. I've never encountered problems like yours, but, meds affect different people different ways of course.

I'm having better results with Soma 350mg. Have you tried Robaxin, i.e. Methacarbomol? Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Deus Juvat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (160user, 22kHornet, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,187
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.