-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a brick of 22LR ammo with the chrony'd fps recorded on the box with a sharpie

I check my chrony with these before I use it to be sure all is as it was

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just have a shooting chrony but I put tape around the sky scree rods, high enough to make sure the bullet misses the chrony. If my crosshairs are close to the tape, I will not hit the chrony. I did crack the plastic on the readout with the sabot from a muzzle loader though. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
How do people manage to keep shooting their chronographs? The one I've got has about a 15"x15" shooting area and it's 15' away. I've got thousands, maybe tens of thousands of rounds through it & I've never managed to shoot it. Don't get me wrong, I'm the type of guy that could tear up an anvil, but I just don't see how this can be a problem.

It's quite easy for the uninitiated particularly with a muzzleloader and its two projectiles which part company quite early. Assuming you're lined up correctly it's the sabot that dives out of the flight path and does the deed.

So it was for the friend that borrowed mine.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Whistle: I've had my 35P since '91 and [thought] I was satisfied with the original bar and spacing. I got a 10'length of 1/2" conduit and an extra stand,spaced the screens at 8' and there's a world of difference with the proof readings. And the adapter for the tube-type aquarium bulbs allow me to shoot and chrono at night and during dark overcast days.

Craig: same thing with me on the blast. Put mine in a box on the floor beside the bench, or on the adjacent table in the box to avoid the noise/wave concussion. Also, are you using standard adding machine paper or thermal paper?
I ask only because the thermal paper I used once faded with all the info, even though it was inside the room out of any sunlight....Not so with standard paper.

WILL.

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
I just have a shooting chrony but I put tape around the sky scree rods, high enough to make sure the bullet misses the chrony. If my crosshairs are close to the tape, I will not hit the chrony. I did crack the plastic on the readout with the sabot from a muzzle loader though. miles

Same here....

I've used my shooting Chrony for 20 years now, or close to it..
]
Never shot it... I think paying attention goes a long way in prevention of that little problem....

its been accused of reading too fast, by other campfire members... yet a friend who has a lot of money and no kids, buys about whatever he pleases.... he's got the Oehler and the PACT and a few others...

We've compared shots across his and mine and there doesn't seem to be much variation.....what he liked about mine, ( and the same reason I like it) is that I can set mine up, shoot a string chrony'ing a load, and pack mine up.. in the time it takes Greg just to get the fancy ones set up and ready to go...

he felt when, for chrony'ing 5 to 10 shots, it wasn't worth it.. so he bought the Shooting Chrony also... says he uses it more than the spendy ones all the time...

like me, he's just looking for a velocity, and a deviation between 5 shots or so....the other ones do a lot more evidently.. but I am just looking for the simple info, and the Shooting Chrony gives me that...

its been reliable, so much I can't remember if I had to send it in for any repair as long as I have owned it...

that and a camera Tripod, and I've been pretty much set for most of the things I need it for..

it ain't fancy but it reliably does the job.. and has done so for quite a while now....I think I bought it new for like $59 or $69

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
bcolorado,

I just looked at your post again and realized what I would do if my best bud was in the market. I have an Oehler 35 I would sell him for $200 and let him figure out how to use it. I use a simple Oehler 33.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tjm10025

b:

Buy the most expensive model you can afford to trash. You will shoot it eventually.

This is hilarious. I was telling my Uncle about a guy i saw shoot his and he was like "What kind of idiot shoots his chronograph". 2 days later he sends me a picture of his Shooting Chrony in a million pieces laugh. Apparently .460 S&W explodes them nicely.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've got a chrony that's been shot three times. The first time, it was sent back to the factory for repair. The next two times were cowboy wounds. It still works. (known loads checked against old data)

As for how that can happen; you double the risk when you let your hunting pard use it. (He paid for the repair.)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very good idea.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mikeone
If my best friend was asking,
I'd tell him to go ahead and spend the bux and get a magnetospeed V3 Oehler 35.
Mike

Fixed it for ya. grin

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Oehler 35

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That camera tripod never worked for me. If the wind didn't blow it over, the muzzle blast did.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks all for the great info.

One concern after reading a bit on line was our Colorado sunshine and colodog answered that one.

I do a bit of handgun shooting and finding good info on the handloads would help with the longer distance shooting that is fun to do.

and then there is the rifles... grin

Would really like to know the mv of a few favorite loads for the 45colt low wall. It shoots fairly flat then the pistol bullets fall out of the sky. With a ballistics chart and mv I could narrow that distance down easier.

Got a direction to look and research all of this and thanks to the first hand experience here have narrowed it down a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
That camera tripod never worked for me. If the wind didn't blow it over, the muzzle blast did.

Get one with a hook at the bottom of the center post. Hanging weight from it does wonders for stability.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A motorcycle strap and a spare tire or bag of traction sand for weight.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
It what I use,just back it up a little more. Mine is about 12-15 feet away,never had a problem with muzzle blast knocking it over. Even using .300 mags,8mm mag,.375's and .416's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by mikeone
If my best friend was asking,
I'd tell him to go ahead and spend the bux and get a magnetospeed V3 Oehler 35.
Mike

Fixed it for ya. grin

Ha,
My Magnetospeed is normally within 1 or 2% of the nosler book speeds.
Pretty good confidence booster. grin
Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Get one with a hook at the bottom of the center post. Hanging weight from it does wonders for stability.

Our Shooting Chrony survived years of use and having one of its rods bent by the sabot from a shotgun slug, only to die when a gust of wind toppled the stand. At that point we learned that having it replaced (too old to fix) by the factory would cost more than would buying one from a retailer. We went witl a ProChrony Pal and really like it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There are chronographs available other than the Oehler 35P???

I did not know that...

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
It what I use,just back it up a little more. Mine is about 12-15 feet away,never had a problem with muzzle blast knocking it over. Even using .300 mags,8mm mag,.375's and .416's.

I'll correct myself:

The wind would blow the whole tripod over.

Muzzle blast disengaged the sunscreens. For consistency I always shot from 10 feet.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,151
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.