Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
First, y'all remember the barrel sale back around the end of June. I gave $199 for this barrel, it's a 1/8 twist 16" PredatAR which is a light weight match barrel made from some undisclosed steel. It looks like a coated SS but the machine cuts have a mirrored finish. The thing may be a tomato stake but it looks better than any barrel I've seen bar none. Even the bore has a mirrored look.
[Linked Image]
The barrel extension is SS but the barrel you can see there and chamber is coated black.
[Linked Image]
another machined cut.

Now as much as I love LaRue Mounts and every other part I've tried of theirs, their gas block sucks!
[Linked Image]
I didn't like the looks of the bulky thing so I was gonna use a normal low profile block but they drilled 3 set screw holes made for their gas block.
[Linked Image]
I decided to try the overpriced turd but then I got it here it was too heavy for a light weight build, it weighed 2/10th's of a pound on my UPS scales! So I cut it off and whittled it down, then parkerized it. It doesn't register on the scales now.
[Linked Image]
to be continued

GB1

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I also decided to try BCM's Keymod rail. It's lighter than anything else I've seen yet has an anti-rotation feature and get's pretty good reviews, I can't fault it. Assembly was easy and well thought out. It's very comfortable but dang this thing is lighter than my Troy rails. I used Rainier Arms' forged upper with no forward assist and a semi bolt carrier to save even more weight.

Parts gathered
[Linked Image]
I stuck the finished upper on my Noveske SPR lower complete with SOPMOD stock and H buffer, the gun weighs 6 lbs. even bare and 8 lbs. with the 10X Super Chicken scope in a LaRue mount.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I am completely at a loss at how to scope it, I have a 6x Super Chicken that would be most useful but I hate to stick 2 lbs. on a light weight gun, so it might get my ACOG or just a simple 1-5 but for now, I'll test the accuracy with the Hubble on it.

Here's a look at how BCM keeps the rail from rotating or coming loose, both designs are simple yet impressive.
[Linked Image]

I'll try to get it out this weekend and see if it'll shoot and report back.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice! Looks like you just ground or hacksawed the front sleeve off the gas block? I like those KMR rails!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks good. The KMR is probably my favorite rail. I wish it was just a tad bit bigger in diameter but overall is an excellent rail. I really like the mounting system, seems like a very good design. Similar to the geissele but I prefer the "shape" of the octagon rail vs. the cross style.

If looks had anything to do with accuracy I'd say that would easily shoot 1/2 MOA.

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/12/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I now just about hate that DD Lite rail after the KMR.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
now if it don't shoot you can blame it on the modified gas block

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who makes a good low profile gas block without modifying it? Yankee Hill? I have no need for a front sight.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BCM, Noveske, Vltor, Daniel Defense.... Syrac and SLR make good asjustable ones.

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/12/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Very nice looking build! I'll be interested in how it shoots. I do hope it will shoot very good for you. As mentioned, it certainly looks like it will.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I just got a notification that a package is on it'w way to me with one or two of those pretty barrels, too. I ordered two, one of each design on sale. Package of 4 pounds so around the 19th we'll see how much of that is barrel and how much is box.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's mostly rocks to keep the Reardon steel from floating away. smile

I realized I need another scope mount so if any of the LaRue guys are following this, I'm good on T-shirts but a 30mm LT 104 would be nice...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hate this place grin ...if you shoot a 1 inch 10 shot group with that featherweight I am going to have to go and find $500....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For 500 bucks you can pick any known name barrel brand, and have it set up correctly and chambered, well pretty close... 350 buck range for good known barrel brands. Likely 200 or so to chamber etc.. I have not bought one in years, so I might be off.. but pretty close I suspect.

And I suspect you'll easily shooot a 1 inch group with TWRs new tube.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WOP, 495 Krieger, set up and ready to roll. At the worst price.

I"ve never had a Krieger that would not shoot well, the worst one was about .75 moa as I recall and that for 10 shot groups as those were the smallest number of rounds we would shoot for group ever.

Featherweight is simply a matter of contouring the barrel correctly.

Not sure what that would cost then, if anything extra.

Which means that for 500 bucks, the La Rue tube should be shooting as well as any top line name, Krieger, Rock, Bartlein etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most companies we spoke with would not contour a match barrel down that much if any and those that would wouldn't guarantee anything. I'm pretty sure we checked with WOA but not WOP.

Even my Noveske light weight is closer to an hbar than a pencil barrel.

LaRue sent me an email to rate their gas block but I messed around and deleted it. Up here at the hospital, daughter had surgery this morning and it got very hectic. She's doing good and if all goes well, I'm gonna try and shoot in the morning.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
glad your daughter is doing well!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey, hope all turns out well with the daughter. If there is anything we can do, other than say a prayer, let us know!

I coudl see WOA not doing it, thats not the custom side. I could see WOP not doing it because their main goal is competition guns.

Either post or pm me dimensions on the La Rue barrel, I may just buy a blank and contour it down and chamber it and see what happens. Wont' happen soon, but might be fun to play with to see how something like a cheap shilen works with a light gun.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
We had a guy do some Shilen barrels against their advice and they turned out fine. Though no one shot 20 shot groups with them.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Made it to the range today and at first I was highly disappointed. Best groups of 5 were going 3-5" at 100 yards with the 10x super chicken. I decided to try the scope on my 16" Noveske and it shot well enough to dismiss the bad scope idea.
[Linked Image]
I looked the gun over and couldn't see anything obvious so I decided to take off the A1 flash hider and it started showing promise.
[Linked Image]
It is rather windy here and the top left group of 10 was mostly my fault and they were all back to back but it will do 5 in 1.5 MOA and probably better with a better shooter and maybe another bullet. I'm just out of time to do much more tinkering for now but I think I'll like the barrel.

Last edited by TWR; 08/15/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
77 grain? Odd about the flash hider!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,864
Posts18,497,278
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.