Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 39 1 2 36 37 38 39
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
IMO there is better food to be had - like at home ("The Warden" is pretty good at the stove or grill)
If you come back - yell at us!
Same goes for any 'fire member!

Mark

I had some tacos in a old single wide in Mora that were outstanding.....never been in a "restaurant" quite like that,
but it was Mora.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wageslave
IMO there is better food to be had - like at home ("The Warden" is pretty good at the stove or grill)

Mark

I had some tacos in a old single wide in Mora that were outstanding.....never been in a "resturant" quite like that,
but it was Mora.

Told you to go to the Cleveland Bar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that the one with the sign that said

"No gringos after sundown"?

Have Dog

Will Travel

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Sounds like an old place in Ignacio Colo back in the late 70s. A rundown hole on the side of the road with the best Mex food you ever ate.

Kent

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Is that the one with the sign that said

"No gringos after sundown"?

Usually the lights are off so you can't read the sign.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not kidding...

for once.

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Laffin', I don't remember the sign. Maybe Mark S. Knows if the Lujans still own it?

Need to get up that way to visit friends.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Sounds like an old place in Ignacio Colo back in the late 70s. A rundown hole on the side of the road with the best Mex food you ever ate.

Kent

These were the best tacos I've ever had,
but I am kinda sheltered.

Have Dog

Will Travel

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn. Now I'm fired up about the Tonto gathering!

It's hard for me to explain (y'all have seen my camp) but all these places are the places of the stories of my youte. Kinda like dream places. There are folks that enjoy Africa and Europe and seeing all the sights and hunting there. But the places right here in this country. Where Crook chased Geronimo. . The ground where Elfego Baca, Kit Carson, Ben Lilly, Burnham, the Kid, etc all walked. These are the places I always wanted to see and camp in!!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/06/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You probably already know this but Elfego Baca had his first big shootout in Reserve NM. About 40ish miles from the Quemado camp. There is a monument to him there as I recall.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well yes! That house they turned into Swiss cheese!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup it's a life sized bronze of Baca aiming a pistol from the doorway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
My recollection is that he spent most of the fight prone on the floor (which was dug down for a foot or a foot and a half) until they ran out of ammo. He was certainly one of a kind--he took on a lot of stuff that nobody else would, and always came out smelling like the proverbial rose.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
One of my main elk camp spots, including this years future one with Enrique, is on the Crook trail.

One year, I think '92, we were camped and guy rode in on a horse. Rode right up to the table we were sitting at. I said hello. He looked down and started in on how we were camped on a restricted historic trail.

I politely informed him he was mistaken on the restriction.

He was all mountain man outfitted and out to experience the trail as it should be experienced.

Finally we ignored him and he sat there expecting us to leave. My buddies had enough but I stayed polite, explained his mistake again and suggested he remove himself from our table and camp.

He got demanding and my buddy got up threatening. He rode out but came back taking pictures of our camp. My buddy picked up a big rock and spooked his horse away with him on it.

He had a gun in his scabbard and of course we had plenty, but he finally got the hint and left.

I'll give him this, the next day he rode back through, apologized to me the level headed one, said he was wrong and rode off.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
My recollection is that he spent most of the fight prone on the floor (which was dug down for a foot or a foot and a half) until they ran out of ammo. He was certainly one of a kind--he took on a lot of stuff that nobody else would, and always came out smelling like the proverbial rose.

That's the way I understood the gunfight as well.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Jon, did you ever find your bag?

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tooo funny I just found a green cabela's bag sorry but no way it could be Jon's.

sorry I missed out on another round of the great meeting of guns - gals and guys

looks like a great turn out of good friends

great read - great pictures

except for drama last few pages I think

Gary

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Mark

I had some tacos in a old single wide in Mora that were outstanding.....never been in a "restaurant" quite like that,
but it was Mora.

Over here on the Turquoise Trial east of Albuquerque, I just ordered a peck of Hatch fresh, big green peppers that the store has agreed to roast for me this morning. It is a lot of work to roast them yourself.

I now have to go out to buy a bunch of Bell jars to can them in.

For those who do not know about Hatch, NM and its peppers, see

http://www.chron.com/life/food/article/A-short-history-on-how-the-Hatch-chile-became-a-6445402.php or http://tinyurl.com/q425zus

The roaster said he personally prefers Sorroco peppers as he can get them fresher locally and in a bigger box for less price. They are not quite harvested yet, though. I like the Hatch ones.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have had an addiction to hatch chile's for many years. Finest kind.
Interesting story, at least to me. Chain of mexican restaurants in the phx area run by some aysyrian christians. The have some pretty good size farms down by douglas which i have hunted on a time or two. And big crops of chille's for canning, use in the restaurants, etc. I picked a boat load of them down there one year along the drainage canals. They as i was told were in partnership for years with a mexican family on those fields, the cannery, and so on, till they got to feuding. The mexican family i was told said to H*ll with you, and moved over to new mexico and started raising their own dang chille's. How true that is i don't know. But chille's will become important in a couple of weeks, barbequed on the grill with fresh dove breast meat and some cream cheese. And in tamales, burro's and every other thing i can think of. You probably could snort them. A big shreaded beef burro, with hatch chille's and that God awful white cheese instead of sharps, it's actually pretty good. I won't discuss that discusting black bean stuff that passes there for refried beans. Yuck.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/18/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
There were Hatch chilies at Safeway sunday, I bought the 'hot' but they were still mild, made a big batch of tacos for the family, they were damn good eat'n.

Kent

Page 38 of 39 1 2 36 37 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,097
Posts18,483,038
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.