Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm about to venture into unknown territory. Long time die hard Win M70 fan looking for a suitable new "go to" American brand for my bolt action needs. The M77 Ruger looks interesting enough to me. I'm picking one up today in .243 win, standard blued & walnut. I decided it was the way to go for my daughters first deer rifle, I had a couple of other plans coming together but this is what I have settled on.

I'm certain I can make it shoot well, but what of the trigger? I'll be a novice to the M77 ownership so advice from M77 owners would be appreciated. Especially from those who love there M77's like I love my trusty Win M70's.

Something clever here.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think you need to try the trigger before writing it off. I have a timney in one of my M77's and the only thing wrong with the stock one was heavy pull, otherwise no creep, it was very crisp. I have another two that had been worked by an armorer that are great but have some take up. I have another that is billed as a target trigger that is also great. You can find tuning advice aplenty on the internet.

NRA Life Member
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
A friend told me to just replace the spring to lighten the pull. He also said if it drags, ticks, or what ever, just polish a little.

I'm not too worried about it. It's probably fine right out of the box. I'll know tonight. One young hunter is about to have a very exciting evening, it should throw some fuel on the deer hunting fever fire.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We need all of the young hunters we can find. Good job!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For a right handed shooter,that can find rifles anyplace,the M77 would be my last choice. I've seen more M77's with problems then any other make. And its crazy because plenty of the other ruger firearm models are great. The only thing the M77 has going for it,is its Lenard Brownell designed stock.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I recently bought a 243 compact for my daughter and am very happy with it. I was not a Ruger fan because of bad ones I've had years ago. That said I think the new ones are much improved. The trigger wasn't very bad but I took it to the smith anyway and it now has a very crisp 3.5 pound trigger. This little bugger can shoot! Good luck!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruger fan here - owned maybe 6 or so 30-06 and 300WM. All shot 1 moa except one 300WM - that went 1.2-1.5 moa.

Never seen one blow up altho I am sure somewhere someone has done it but I think the argument over cast actions and strenght is moot. Ruger offers the rifle in some big boomers to include the 338 Lapua IIRC.

Tweak the trigger, and be happy.

Sure a while ago they had barrel issues - not anymore - they make their own now.

400 bones and some decent glass and I would go anywhere with one.

Don't let some detractors keep you down - they like to compare a Ruger to a SUCKS with match tube in a McMillian stock - hardly apples to oranges.

I have 0 reservations about buying Ruger.

Good luck.

Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have an early stainless synthetic M77 .243. I really like it. Before Timney had replacement triggers, Mr. Timney did trigger jobs and he did mine. Many gunsmiths can rework the factory trigger and get good results. My son had a Timney installed in his stainless laminated .280. I have a stainless classic M70 30-06. I like it but I can honestly say I could have been as happy with a stainless laminated M77 30-06. Rugers seem to be a great product these days. Much improved over the older M77s.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I didn't like my trigger, wait....wait...wait, snap! Too much travel for me. I replaced it with Timney's, on sale right now at midwayusa. I realy enjoy this replacement trigger. 3 lbs is just right. I believe their stock trigger is at 6lbs pull. Other than that it's a little heavy with a one pound scope, I'm a big boy though........
It's just great that you're getting your daughter out there. Good dad.
CaseyT

M
M
I've been using a Ruger M-77 in 30-06 for 30 years since I was 16. It's a beautiful , accurate , rugged and reliable rifle. It's the old model with tang safety and adjustable (3-way) trigger , which can be set to a very good pull. The Mark II trigger is not adjustable , and has a M-70 style safety.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've probably had over 40 Rugers over the years. I've never had a problem with one. Some shot better than others, same as any other brand. The new ones sure aint your daddy's Ruger they are accurate. I think your daughter will be well served with this rifle. Taken care of will last her life plus her kids.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 7 year old M77 MkII is getting a Timney trigger right after hunting season. Other than the heavy trigger, I have no gripes.

The bluing is just so purdy--my M77 is my only rifle that wears a gloss scope! Matte just wouldn't be right.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the M77 trigger can be a problem. I really like my own M77-- but not the trigger. It is ok in most ways, but is too heavy. Some gunsmiths can fix the existing trigger, or you can install a Timney (or Jewel or Shilen, or whatever). Fixing this isn't a big deal. However, I haven't changed mine yet and I shoot it all the time. So, at least one of us can get used to it. Otherwise, I think the Ruger M77 MkII is a great rifle. And several generations of my family have been loyal Remington 700 enthusiasts. I'll likely buy more of them.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two 77MKIIs in 7.62x39 and just purchased a .350 Reminton Magnum that was cut down to 18"....all I can say is they shoot well....

This is a 7.62x39 20" lightweight using Lapua FMJ ammo...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

..no complaints here...Bob

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey thanks to all for the input & reasurance. I picked up the little rifle yesterday & brought it home after work only to find that my daughter was gone babysitting. So, there I sat... well it gave me some time to pull it out of the box & play around with it a little. I'm an old USMC weapons repairman so I can't leave a new gun alone for very long. Must slick, can not resist... have to slick... urge too strong, can't hold back.... ahhh, that's better. Like blinking or breathing, before I know it I'm studying the action watching for contact points, surface to surface stuff... I can't help it, it's a part of me. So after some refinement of what looked to be pretty good factory work things slid a little smoother & rolled in a little nicer.

Then I test fit a take off scope I had in the safe, a variable 2.5-10X 45mm Bushnell Trophy recently benched for a Burris FFII 3-9 40mm on my own deer rifle.

Well that big 45mm bell does clear with the standard medium rings that came with the rifle. I just loose fit it & took it back off so the rifle would fit back into the box. Besides, I want her to help mount the scope, partly for the fun factor & the whole ownership thing but mostly so we can get the eye relief set correctly for her.

So, it's back in the box & I'll try again tonight after work again with her surprise.

Trigger wasn't too bad, heavy with some creep, actually a little more travel than I would like to see but it's a smooth takeup to the point at which it breaks, it doesn't hang up anywhere. And yeah the pull is a little heavy but I think I can work with it.

The barrel has mucho grande channel contact, we'll fix that though.
I'm happy with the rifle, I think it's going to make for a fun father daughter project & I'm certain it will serve her well for as long as she wants it.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
northern dave �

Full disclosure first � I�m an unabashed fan of the Ruger M77 and M77 MKII rifles (as well as the BH and SRH revolvers). My safe currently has M77�s I 7mm Rem Mag and .257 Roberts, an M77 MKII in .300 Wi Mag and a M77 MKII VT in .22-250.

All my Rugers are free floated. The heavy-barrel VT came that way, the others I did myself. The VT has a great 2-stage trigger from the factory, the M77�s got adjusted and polished, and the remaining M77 MKII got polished. Did all the polishing myself with a Dremel and a Cratex wheel and all are quite good now. The .300 Win Mag is the newest of the lot and the trigger was acceptable as it come from the factory, something I see quite a bit of. The Ruger triggers are very easy to rework if needed and good replacements are always an option. The Ruger rifles have enough going for them that replacing the trigger after a botched rework job wouldn�t bother me.

As to reliability, I have never had a problem with my Rugers, nor have my brother or my hunting buddy with theirs. The scope mounting system is, IMHO, the strongest around. I admit I like the one-piece bolt, too, as well as the CFR design and fixed blade ejector.

As to accuracy, I�ll let my Rugers speak for themselves:

.22-250 VT = 0.50� @ 200 yards, 4 shots
.257 Roberts = 0.95� @ 200 yards, 3 shots
7mm Rem Mag = 0.266� @ 100 yards, 3 shots
.300 Win Mag = 1.0� @ 300 yards, 2 shots (yesterday, painted steel so measurement is to closest 1/8�)

Reservations about buying another Ruger? None. In fact my next acquisition will likely be the new .375 Ruger that is supposed to be available in quantity this coming spring. My advice is to get a Ruger, float the barrel and polish the trigger, and have fun!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think they are sorta heavy and not very accurate out of the box. They can be made to shoot well. The Model 700 Remington gets my vote. The new Savage is nice too.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks Yote Hunter, The free float, glass bed & pollishing of the trigger are next on the list. Just found a lighter wolf spring on Midway's sight but I'm going to pollish first & get a weight on it before I start lightening the pull. I don't mind a 4# pull on a hunting rifle, especially for a new hunter.

I relieved barrel channel for free float & glass bed an older laminate M77 with tang safety last winter for a friend. I was a little nervous about bedding that angled recoil lug But it worked out beautifully & with the bedding around that angled lug... wow, very impressive saddle to hold things true in that stock.

It's going to be fun showing & teaching my daughter this stuff.

Something clever here.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
My son's Ruger MKII Ultra Light in .257 Roberts should be here this week. I think he will really like it when it finally arrives. I am loading 100 grain Barnes TSX's for it right now. I really hope the little rifle likes the TSX's. Next will be a scope...

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm the only one in a rather large family that does not own a Ruger. I used to. The first was an Ultralight (tang safety) blued/laminated in 30-06. It shot great but I had an itch for a 280 so I sold it to a buddy who was moving to Washington and wanted something for elk. I then bought an early MKII in 280 that was a dog. 3" was the best it would do. I bedded it and it stayed the same. Replaced the trigger then tried a couple of different stocks/scopes. I even went so far as to buy a "boat paddle" stock from Ruger. That opened up my groups to 8"! I finally just traded it on a REM 700 in 280.

Rugers had their problems. I'd heard they had some problems with bad barrels. I would still feel comfortable buying a Ruger because of how many my family owns. They are all reliable and shoot well. BTW, my buddy still owns the ultralight and won't sell it back to me. Good luck with your daughter this year!

RH

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 257 roberts, 56 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.