Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Solduc Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
In town visiting my son and grandchildren. Plan on heading to Ennis to visit Shedhorn.
Any other recommendations for things to to do while here?
Thanks
.jd

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Bannack ghost town.

Red Rocks Lakes NWR.

These two shouldn't be missed when close by!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't fish, there isn't a helluva lot in Dillon, IMO. I've never even found a decent place to eat there - but I did find one place to avoid: I had two days of the "squirts" after some soapy-tasting salad at that car-themed diner on the far south end of town.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Taco Bus is good.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
The Taco Bus is good.

Concur. We avoided the diner based on Rocky's recc.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Taco Bus was good, wasn't it? Hope it's still there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Solduc

Any other recommendations for things to to do while here?

Hang out with Varmint Guy and complain about wolves killing all the elk and 22 ammo availability?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For real thigh-slapping fun, just mention "Blue Dot .223 loads" to him.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We just came back from Dillon.. Lots of nice drives there if that is your thing.. I think the place Rocky mentioned is Sparkey's.. We ate there pretty often and enjoyed it.

There is another Mexican place near the Brew house, but we didn't try it..

The Taco bus was there.. We did it once.. It was ok, but not my style of Mexican food..

Did visit with VarmintGuy.. Very nice fellow and gracious wife..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I must add of all the Montana towns we have visited from Libby, to Broadus, to Wolf Point and Plentywood, Dillon is one of my favorites..

Molon Labe
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Solduc: Visit the Bitterroot Trading Post at the corner of Glendale and Atlantic streets.
The Shedhorn Sports annual Hunters Rendevous in Ennis, Montana and big sale is August 22nd and 23rd - expect big crowds, lots of factory reps and some good deals.
I am heading for a gunshow today (Friday) and Shedhorn Sports tomorrow (Saturday) but after that I am free and would love to show you around.
Call anytime at 206-200-3791.
On your way to or from Ennis both Virginia City and Nevada City are fun little tourist traps.
The Lewis & Clark Caverns north of Dillon/Ennis are an absolute outstanding must see if you have not been there.
Bannack (ghost town and former territorial capitol of Montana) just west of Dillon is interesting - take the sons car so's no charge to that State Park for out of state license plates - otherwise its $6.00 or $8.00 - I forget.
Enjoy your visit and the grandkids - sorry about the smoke!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Dillon. Big Hole, Twin Bridges...this time of THIS year it's probably not at its best, however. It's haying time right now.
Going down there next week on a writing trip -- I'll stay away from the car diner, I guess.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sparkey's - good food and good beer!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am a fan of Sparky's, especially the one in Butte. Good food and nice place.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had the one bad experience at Sparky's - but that one was enough. Hey, I don't care if they wash their lettuce with Dawn, I just wish they'd rinse it well. And they didn't.

Pugs, Ingwe, and I ate at a couple of places in Dillon. One of which was gone the next time I went there. I asked a local where to get a decent breakfast, and she was stumped. To tell the truth, the best eatery I've found so far in Dillon was the supermarket.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RockyRaab: I have friends that come visit us from the west coast and they LOVE the prime rib at Sparky's Garage (south end of town) they claim its the best tasting they have ever had anywhere!
At the north end of town (Dillon) is one of my favorite restaurants (anywhere!) its called the Lions Den.
Their prime rib dinner is excellent as is their fish on Friday (lunch time only!) I always enjoy their chicken fried steak and get it with mushrooms and onions. Their ribeye steak is VERY good and I have as yet to order something their I was not impressed with - and I have been eating there for 18+ years.
In mid-town the Blacktail Station restaurant is always good with a variety of meats and specials - again I have as yet to be disappointed there.
If one wants some sensational Alaskan King Crab legs then the last connected Friday and Saturday of each month call for reservations at the Hitchin Post for the King Crab dinners.
It is pricey ($42.00!) but well worth it in my opinion. I ate two more full meals with the leftovers from my serving of the King Crab dinner last time I was there!
So that evens out the price a tad.
In the past I have eaten at some VERY wonderful restaurants including two of the annually rated 10 best restaurants in the world - so take this from me the best (by far!) ribeye steak I have ever eaten comes from "The Old Hotel" restaurant in Twin Bridges, Montana (28 miles north of Dillon)!
Reservations are about mandatory on weekends there - this is NOT a western style steakhouse but a gourmet/cuisine type restaurant with a small and constantly changing menu - but the ribeye is always offered there - and is always sensational. The owner/chef here is Hawaian.
I am not much of a breakfaster but on those rare occasions when we go for breakfast I head south to the Dell Calf-A in Dell, Montana - the patty sausage there is the best I have ever encountered and that opinion is shared by dozens of my friends and relatives.
Rocky, in full disclosure about 3 years ago I had a lunch at Sparky's Garage and I was SERIOUSLY ill for 6 full days - I lost 14 pounds in weight and was weak for an additional 7 days after the horrible digestive tract distress symptoms subsided on the sixth full day of that misery!
I have not worked up the courage to "try" Sparky's again since then!
All my friends and relatives eat there with never a trouble including right up to today?
That is the trouble with small town restaurants - not just in Dillon the small places have changing personnel and quality sometimes suffers in those spots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are in Dillon and not fishing, you are nuts. There is some crazy good fishing in the Dillon area.
I ate at Sparkys Garage last month and had a really good lunch. In fact I can't wait to go back and eat there again.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patagonia Outlet Store
BigHole Battlefield
Bug Juice

you can thank me later!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How's the smoke that way, we need to get out of the bitterroot and find some breathable air in the morning, think of heading to Phillipsburg or the big hole but not sure if it will be any better.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh and if you're going to drive 50 miles down a dirt road be aware that sometimes a scoop or two of pretty sharp quartz or obsidian gets mixed in. That can sometimes result in 2 flat tires on the same side grin

[Linked Image]

But it's darn pretty country with lots of fish.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pugs; 08/21/15.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,996
Posts18,499,971
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.