Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
the importation of sugar. Loss of 600 US jobs. Here is your lesson in protectionist trade policies.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/08/18/how-us-sugar-policies-just-helped-america-lose-600-jobs

Last edited by bigwhoop; 08/22/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trump mentioned that at his Rally last night. Says he loves them, but he's not gonna eat them anymore. I'll have to agree with Trump, on that one.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's true unless we make it tough for them to import the finished product back into the country. You move, you PAY!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
As a country we have to get back to production of profit and wealth... manufacturing.

It's what got us where we were and we will not get back without it.

It's much easier putting your house in order when there is money coming in and money to spend.

One candidate can immediately make a difference in the world markets, which helps the world also.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife is an Oreo addict. I told her that any Mexican Oreo brought into this house will take the opposite route through her digestive system.

I hear Leaf Brands might bring back Hydrox cookies! I liked them better than Oreos.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Mexico owned Bimbo bakeries is the biggest bakery in the US and probably worldwide. Cemex is the world's largest concrete material company and 75% of produce in the US comes from Mexico. Auto industries are moving there as well as many others. Mexico is killing us economically.

Who's going to bring it back to our country... politicians?

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a number of clients who work at that plant. Sad for them.

The plant/brand is owned by Mondelez of Brazil.

Years ago, taste tests had established that the flavor of Oreos suffers if made with different water than the Lake Michigan water of the Chicago plant. Time will tell.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Trump on oreos leaving chicago

'Trump also says that “Mexico is the new China.” Businesses who move across the border will be faced with the same tariffs and restrictions that China imposes on companies like Boeing. So in the end, it buys the company little to nothing, but they do walk away from the US and into a crime-ridden hellhole like Mexico. But then again, it probably resembles Chicago a great deal these days. Just sayin’. Trump says our leaders setting these rules and taxes in motion are stupid…"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Mexico owned Bimbo bakeries is the biggest bakery in the US and probably worldwide. Cemex is the world's largest concrete material company and 75% of produce in the US comes from Mexico. Auto industries are moving there as well as many others. Mexico is killing us economically.

Kent

A girlfriend, highly placed in the Bimbo orginization advises me that, having read some Campfire posts out of Washington State,....all of the Hostess Cupcakes destined for there are being spat on, and other wise defiled.

Bad scene.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

American's willing to pay the higher cost of US manufacture. Clearly given Walmart's and others success I don't see that happening. Can't have the cake and eat it too.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
LOL... economic geniuses here amaze me.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
the importation of sugar. Loss of 600 US jobs. Here is your lesson in protectionist trade policies.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/08/18/how-us-sugar-policies-just-helped-america-lose-600-jobs

Let me ask you this, was Nabisco taking a loss, or just not making as much as they could by utilizing cheap labor?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Bimbo, largest bakery in the US, Mexico owned... Cemex, largest concrete and materials producer in the US, Mexico owned... Toyota plants in the US.

Yet Nabisco and Ford can't make money here.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Bimbo, largest bakery in the US, Mexico owned... Cemex, largest concrete and materials producer in the US, Mexico owned... Toyota plants in the US.

Yet Nabisco and Ford can't make money here.

Kent

Not to mention CEMEX and Bimbo are making money with American union drivers...I wonder how that is possible?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

American's willing to pay the higher cost of US manufacture. Clearly given Walmart's and others success I don't see that happening. Can't have the cake and eat it too.

its really not that big of a gap anymore for two reasons

1. China's labor market is making the same demands Americans do - better working conditions, fewer hours and more pay. They want to buy the stuff they make. Matter of fact, labor conscience companies have been looking to Indonesia and locations as possible manufacturing locations instead of China

2. American productivity is much, much higher because American manufacturing doesn't invest in labor, it invests in technology. Robotic manufacturing runs 24/7 and is ultimately cheaper than humans.

Still, you won't see many American made disposable electronics and the like in Wal-Mart. China doesn't mind running toxic waste pipes straight to the ocean.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Trump intrigues me but if he is elected and implements tariffs on everything made overseas, things are gonna get ugly, I'm talking real ugly, before they get better. Multi national companies have been making a fortune getting crap made overseas for nothing and selling it here for high prices. Should that equation change, some of the folks here best start rethinking their stock portfolios as stocks are valued on earnings (in theory anyway) and if the either the labor input or costs go way up, earnings are going down. Did the market go down so much last week because it is sniffing out a Trump presidency?

It may be the exact right thing to do for the long term good of the country as regular people have been raped by "free trade". May be the only way to "bring the jobs back". Or perhaps the threat of such will get other countries to level the playing field for some of our companies....IDK. IT would be nice if Trump would talk about some of this stuff and not just tell us how great he is.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The jobs will come back because we have the energy. China doesn't,

Trade barriers are now a boomerang weapon. Kill youin the end.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari

We also have the unions.

Who would come back to that? frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hatari

We also have the unions.

Who would come back to that? frown
Only 7% of the American workforce is represented by a union. By my math that leaves 93% union free.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
Trump intrigues me but if he is elected and implements tariffs on everything made overseas, things are gonna get ugly, I'm talking real ugly, before they get better. Multi national companies have been making a fortune getting crap made overseas for nothing and selling it here for high prices. Should that equation change, some of the folks here best start rethinking their stock portfolios as stocks are valued on earnings (in theory anyway) and if the either the labor input or costs go way up, earnings are going down. Did the market go down so much last week because it is sniffing out a Trump presidency?

It may be the exact right thing to do for the long term good of the country as regular people have been raped by "free trade". May be the only way to "bring the jobs back". Or perhaps the threat of such will get other countries to level the playing field for some of our companies....IDK. IT would be nice if Trump would talk about some of this stuff and not just tell us how great he is.

tariffs aren't the answer but free trade isn't the answer either

fair trade is the answer. Its econ 101 - we sell what we're efficient at making in equal quantities of what we buy

Last edited by KFWA; 08/23/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (264mag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.