Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WTF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I would rather go to a local MiLB game than a big league one.
Cheaper, less crowded, and more fun.
Does anyone else like them too ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTF
I would rather go to a local MiLB game than a big league one.
Cheaper, less crowded, and more fun.
Does anyone else like them too ?

I enjoy any baseball game, high school on up. I got an old teammate coaching the AA Springfield Cardinals, next spring I'm heading out for a few games and watch some BP from the dugout. Between that and the museums there, I'm really looking forward to it!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oddly enough... major league baseball games on TV put me to sleep, but the local minor league team's players (on TV) screw-up often enough to keep the game "interesting"... and keep me awake.

The minor league players are generally NOT as "perfect-a-player" as the major league guys.

It's kinda like the NFL games vs. college football games... the college games are more fun to watch and the players aren't so "perfect" in their playing which you KNOW the college players may often make some "game-changer" mistakes and, thus, the college games tend to be less of a "sure thing" as concerns the game winner.

Jus' my 2 cents... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For years we had the Kinston Indians close by and were regulars. Like many good things in eastern NC the team was moved to Wake County (Raleigh area) and rebranded the Mudcats - haven't been since, but it was fun for many, many years.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Town Team ball is a huge draw in Minnesota, and the teams tend to be well supported. Lots of kids and guys who just couldn't quite make it at the collegiate level, and some who did.

Here in the Twin Cities, we have Bill Veck's St. Paul Saints, and you ain't experienced baseball like this till you've been to a Saints game. From the pig that carries the balls to the umpires, to the zany promotions, to the nun giving massages in the bleachers, there's never a dull moment at a Saints game. If you don't feel entertained, you're taking life way too seriously. They play in a beautiful brand new stadium, and sell outs are the norm, not the exception. Tailgating is a huge part of Saints baseball. It says a lot about the ownership when the guy who signs the checks can be found out in the parking lot having a beer with the fans, and he's frequently seen at the gate taking tickets too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was at a Bowie Baysox last night. But then I was also at a Orioles game Wed. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Atlanta Braves built their Single A teams stadium about 6 miles from my house 10 years ago. Haven't driven to Atlanta for a game since. I can sit on the front row behind the plate for about $10, the cheap seats are $4. It is the same game and the corny between innings entertainment is worth the price of admission. I can be home in 10 minutes after the game.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I go see the Chattanooga Lookouts fairly often. I like seeing the hustle that is often lacking in MLB where the guys are making multimillion dollars per year.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have only been to 3 or 4 MLB games in St. louis and you t pay me good to go now. Have been to about the same to watch the springfield cardinals. Like going there, have always had a good time there and thinking of the drive home

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never been to a major league game and from what I've seen on TV, I really don't want to. I've been to quite a few minor league games, though, and they're much more fun to watch. To fill the seats, they usually have other entertainment that can be better than the game. The players aren't so stuck up. I've never heard of a minor player asking a kid for $25 for an autograph.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Minor league ball is wonderful. No parking hassles, semi-reasonable concessions, closeness to the field, the level of play is good, and somehow the game manages to be more important than the winning.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
hell yeah.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was talked into going to an Albuquerque Isotopes ('Topes) game last month and it was one of the most enjoyable professional sports event I have ever attended.

Never a dull moment. Kids races, quizzes, promotions, a fireworks show at the end and best of all, the catcher for the numerous opening pitches took off his mask as he handed the souvenir ball back to one of the pitchers and it turned out to be his son, back from deployment in Afghanistan.

Made you feel good.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
we have a beautiful stadium in Memphis for the Memphis Redbirds.they are the AAA team for the Cardinals. Love going on a summer night and not having to spend a fortune. you can walk around the entire field and see the game from different perspectives.

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We had the Greenville Braves until the city declined to build a new downtown stadium. Thanks guys!!

Now we have the Greenville Drive, which are the Red Sox Class A team. Mini green wall and all. Oh and it's only 7 bucks to see a game. Some nights beer and a dog will set you back all of 2 bucks.

I collect t-shirts from minor league teams. They have the absolute best mascots. Lansing Lugnuts being my fav.

[Linked Image]

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Town Team ball is a huge draw in Minnesota, and the teams tend to be well supported. Lots of kids and guys who just couldn't quite make it at the collegiate level, and some who did.

Here in the Twin Cities, we have Bill Veck's St. Paul Saints, and you ain't experienced baseball like this till you've been to a Saints game. From the pig that carries the balls to the umpires, to the zany promotions, to the nun giving massages in the bleachers, there's never a dull moment at a Saints game. If you don't feel entertained, you're taking life way too seriously. They play in a beautiful brand new stadium, and sell outs are the norm, not the exception. Tailgating is a huge part of Saints baseball. It says a lot about the ownership when the guy who signs the checks can be found out in the parking lot having a beer with the fans, and he's frequently seen at the gate taking tickets too.

This! Have tickets for labor day. Watched the South Bend, Appleton and Wausa teams when I lived in those areas. The only games I've enjoyed as much were the post-season Reds games in the '70s - and I've been to about half the major league stadiums to see a game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enjoy seeing the Altoona Curve, AA, Pirates. Cheaper, closer to home and less hassel than the Majors.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It costs me about $2-300 (tickets,gas,parking,food,lodging cause its a long drive) to go to a Tigers game. Which i love to do but cost prohibitive.I can go to a Lansing Lugnuts game get the whole family in for $20 sit pretty much where I want and park for free. It's a nice day for about $50 for the family.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byc
We had the Greenville Braves until the city declined to build a new downtown stadium. Thanks guys!!

Now we have the Greenville Drive, which are the Red Sox Class A team. Mini green wall and all. Oh and it's only 7 bucks to see a game. Some nights beer and a dog will set you back all of 2 bucks.

I collect t-shirts from minor league teams. They have the absolute best mascots. Lansing Lugnuts being my fav.

[Linked Image]

HAHA didn't see your post till I wrote mine. They have a really nice park u should stop in some time! Also have the West Michigan Whitecaps (where the big leaguers do rehabs), and the Great Lakes Loons.

Last edited by k20350; 08/23/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tats where I as m at. Pittsburgh is 100 miles. Tolls and parking alone will set me back $50+. I can get all four of us into a Curve game and buy some food for that. Pirates tickets add $40+ per person. Plus I hate big crowds.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.