Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Just looking to see if anyone has a Sako 85 (or 2, 3, or more) and how accuracy and function has been. I've pretty well made my mind up to get one for my next rifle to tinker with, and just wanted to make sure people that already have them are satisfied. Thanks in advance for any info!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
HR IC

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think I have five Sako 85's. All of them will average very close to three shots in .5 inch at a 100 yards with at least one load. All of them will put three shots under 1 inch with most any hand loads (I don't think I have ever shot factory loads in any of them).

Fit and finish is excellent.

They are the finest production rifle made.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm on my second set of Sako 85's. Bought my first couple, one 30-06 and a 25-06 for my wife and they shot great and not an issue with them. Made the mistake of selling them and trying out the newer M70's and they lasted only one season and went back to a couple of 85's. This time a 25-06 for me and a 7-08 for my wife. Both are shooting at the .5" at 100 yards with factory federal partitions. These are here to stay though, won't make the same mistake twice...

Rob
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have a Sako 85 in 300 win mag with optilock mouts and Z-5 Swaro.
Zero issues. Great Shooter. I wouldnt trade it for anything

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I currently own 3 85 sakos.Owned maybe close to 20 over the last30yrs. Mine have all been reliable and accurate. Worst problem with owning sakos is every other
rifle make seems to feel a bit junky in comparison hehe.....

You wont regret owning one, but then Im definitely a one eyed sako slut!!

Last edited by cervus; 08/23/15.
IC B2

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A poorly designed action - the ejector blade is in the 6 o clock position and results in the case hitting the scope on ejection. Most prevalent in the 30-06 length action and sometimes the case lands back in the action resulting in a jam. My experience and several others I know have had the same.

Forearmed is forewarned - if you can put up with this potential problem - then by all means get one........but do your research first - there are several threads on this subject.

http://youtu.be/hAlCcC45n50

http://youtu.be/C7_1h1jeKuA

Last edited by mlg; 08/23/15.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
mlg,

Wow...I had never heard of that problem before. Good to know, is there any fix to it (can a gunsmith move the ejector blade?)?

Has anyone else had that problem with the 85? I was kind of geeked up for a stainless/synthetic in .338 Winchester!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Magnum length actions don't have any problem in my experience. They are excellent rifles and well worth the risk you may get a high ejector. They either work or they don't. My 30-06 Finnlight just grazed the bottom of the turret cap so I replaced the extractor and it no longer does it. Get one. You won't be disappointed. I have full custom rifles I don't like as much as my 85s. One piece 3 lug bolt, accurate, great trigger and excellent fit and finish. My 85 Classic is probably the nicest looking gun I've owned.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It can be an issue on certain action length and scope combinations. It can usually be fixed with a different scope or slight re-positioning of the scope. I had the issue with a 300wsm and a VX-6. With a Swaro Z-6, never an issue. The turrets on the VX-6 are much broader than Z-6.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
double post

Last edited by Horseman; 08/24/15.
IC B3

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JustinL1
mlg,

Wow...I had never heard of that problem before. Good to know, is there any fix to it (can a gunsmith move the ejector blade?)?

Has anyone else had that problem with the 85? I was kind of geeked up for a stainless/synthetic in .338 Winchester!

Justin1

My rifle was a Sako Black Bear in 9.3x62. It went back to Beretta here and they had it for a couple of weeks before returning it with a note to say that there was nothing they could do - the rifle was returned to them.

I did by the way try another couple of scope combinations & rings but on my rifle it basically came down to the fact that if there was a scope tube above the action the case would hit it.

As Horseman pointed out you may be ok with a 338 as its a longer action length. Its a hit & miss affair though and for a rifle in that class that should NOT be the case.

I don't know what availability is like over there but the Mauser M12, Sauer 101 or even the humble Tikka T3 are a much better bet imo. And here all three are cheaper.

If you really want the Sako, maybe get them to fit the scope in the shop and feed some empty cases and eject them firmly. Initially it can be hard to see as it happens so quick, but you will hear the ping if it hits the scope tube/turret and bent case mouths are a dead giveaway.

I love Sakos and its a shame really. I was hoping they would do a redesign to the action they now use in the TRG with twin plunger type ejectors like the M12/Sauer101 but as yet that has not happened.......

Good luck!

Last edited by mlg; 08/24/15.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Justin1,
I have had a medium length action (6.5x55) and have a short length action (338 Fed). Mistakenly sold the 6.5 for another rifle I "just had to have". As DINK and harv3589 have mentioned, I had no trouble finding several loads that shot well under 1". I, personally, have not had an ejection problem with either rifle. Nice set triggers on both. Both were (are) Bavarian Carbines with really nice wood. Very smooth operation. I would rather not have a detachable mag, but that would not stop me from buying another. Good luck with your quest. Terry

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
OP- I see you are in SW PA. Cove Creek Outfitters in Bedford has a pretty good selection of Sakos on the rack. I also have a very slightly used 6.5x55 Finnlight I might part with. Great rifle but I'm trying to simply my calibers and it doesn't really have a place in the line up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Europtic in Mountoursville has a big selection of 85's as well.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a pile of Sako 85's, all were very accurate but all would not shoot the 5 shot MOA guarantee....The Sako 85 Finnlight is one of the best feeling rifles I have ever had in My hands...I had no ejection problems out of My short action and short action magnum actions but I did experience the dreaded model 85 ejection problem that is fairly common with a few of my 30.06 length action rifles......I couldn't figure it out so I sent a .270 Win that had this issue back to Beretta and the rifle was returned with the exact same problem so I sold it to a buddy that mounted his scope very high (way too high for My taste) and he has had no more problems.....I would buy another 85 if it weren't for the cheesy clamp-on scope mounting system but I would avoid the Medium action lengths.........Good luck...............Hb

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
The Sako 85 Finnlight is one of the best feeling rifles I have ever had in My hands...

Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM

[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'll agree with VAHillbilly the Finnlight just fits and it's a joy to hunt with the tacky stock. Hard not to grab that one on opening day.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"All of them will put three shots under 1 inch with most any hand loads (I don't think I have ever shot factory loads in any of them).

Fit and finish is excellent.

They are the finest production rifle made."

I have 2 Sakos and I would agree completely with this assessment

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Horseman
I'll agree with VAHillbilly the Finnlight just fits and it's a joy to hunt with the tacky stock. Hard not to grab that one on opening day.

[Linked Image]

Sako 85 Bavarian, 6.5 x 55
Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine, 308 Win.

I kinda' like the warmth of wood.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mlg
A poorly designed action - the ejector blade is in the 6 o clock position and results in the case hitting the scope on ejection. Most prevalent in the 30-06 length action and sometimes the case lands back in the action resulting in a jam. My experience and several others I know have had the same.

Forearmed is forewarned - if you can put up with this potential problem - then by all means get one........but do your research first - there are several threads on this subject.

http://youtu.be/hAlCcC45n50

http://youtu.be/C7_1h1jeKuA

Almost dropped some big money on one of these. Too many people with unresolved issues for me to take a chance.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.