Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They really are idiots.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The biggest hazard in that kind of flying comes from the violent up and down drafts the fire creates. You can't see them and you can't react fast enough sometimes to counter them. React too strongly and you break a wing - as may have happened to a C-130 fire bomber a year or so ago and to several other bombers over the years.

In addition many of these tail numbers are getting up there in age and in many cases with spotty maintenance records. The Forest Circus has tried to tap into the ASIP knowledge to better gain an understanding of the damage tolerance of these retardant assets. Add a new flight profile on these aircraft as the pictures illustrate and the structures don't like that there are cracks present from decades of prior service and a higher demand stress wise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ultimately, this movie is a gooey love story, but there are some cool wildfire-flying scenes. Worth a look for that.

That's not a bad flick.

With my son deep, deep in that danger zone I might have even shed a tear. blush

You're a good dude Ironbender.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
Fire is good. Fire in overly thick timber with a 10-25% beetle killed dry standing timber ensuring crowning fires.....not good at all. Government prohibiting logging or wood cutting of the standing timber which WILL blow down into an impenetrable mess making fuel for fire and impossible access.....even worse.

There it is,,,, plain and simple.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What would be the best strategy to get back to a sustainable "low" fire system that would be allowed to burn on its own? Can we do it without letting the whole thing go up in smoke as it is now?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
abolish the usfs and give control back to the states.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka
Took this pic not far from my house

[Linked Image]

No offense, but that doesn't look like it should be priority 1. Got alot of timberland burning here. Let the sagebrush burn and get that plane in the timber.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
but Roy, there is endangered scaly tailed rats or some such that live in the brush, therefore it gets priority!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
view from my home 11 am
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
normal haze
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Tom,

Those hills look familiar!

The WA Guard has 200+ people on the fire lines, and we are mobilizing/training more. The word is the fires up north of Spokane may burn through late October.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

No offense, but that doesn't look like it should be priority 1. Got alot of timberland burning here. Let the sagebrush burn and get that plane in the timber.

That sagebrush backs up to the timber in a few miles. If allowed to burn, the timber would surely get lit, too.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

Dam, there's even arm chair quarterbacks in fire fighting.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
May God bless and protect all those who give their all to fighting these mighty fires, in the air and on the ground, through the many States that are suffering this scourge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by David_Walter

That sagebrush backs up to the timber in a few miles. If allowed to burn, the timber would surely get lit, too.

Sorry, but that's bulldozer territory. Send the planes to the mountains, I.E. inaccessible terrain. JMO.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter

[Linked Image]

Tom,

Those hills look familiar!

The WA Guard has 200+ people on the fire lines, and we are mobilizing/training more. The word is the fires up north of Spokane may burn through late October.

Many of these fires will not be out until favorable weather and change in season hit the region. Stumps and root-wads will be still be smoking come first snowfall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
David, those hills may not look like that much longer. the Parker Ridge fire has run north to long canyon and is trying to crest over into Smith creek. If it does I will be looking for a new home. the west side the valley here looks like a page out of Dante's inferno. more than 6k acres of timber gone. the FS had boots on the ground when it was 3/4 acre. decided to let it burn into easier ground to fight. go figure.
the blow up today has me worried as it is now about 1 mile from the house. my neighbor lost his skidder and a cat. been going on since the 27th. long enough

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
David, those hills may not look like that much longer. the Parker Ridge fire has run north to long canyon and is trying to crest over into Smith creek. If it does I will be looking for a new home. the west side the valley here looks like a page out of Dante's inferno. more than 6k acres of timber gone. the FS had boots on the ground when it was 3/4 acre. decided to let it burn into easier ground to fight. go figure.
the blow up today has me worried as it is now about 1 mile from the house. my neighbor lost his skidder and a cat. been going on since the 27th. long enough

The USFS' infinite wisdom on display. Why are so many idiots in positions of power nowadays? Sorry to hear it's so close to you there.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
many of us "armchair quarterbacks" have many years of firefighting behind us. and black lung to prove it.
sage and grass fires are most easily contained by turning the soil. period.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.