Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I missed archery season last year because of a Lawn Mower accident that ruptured my complete rotator cuff. My shoulder has been getting better and I was thinking I would have no trouble pulling my bow this year. I just tried and not even close. It is either switch to a crossbow or miss another bow season. I hate the thoughts of using a crossbow but have no choice if I want to hunt the upcoming archery season. What would you do?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I myself would get a crossbow. I think you'll get over the "hate the thoughts of using a crossbow" the first time you get in your favorite deer stand. If you want to make it a tad more challenging go with open sights and not a ranging reticle scope. In my book, being out there in the deer woods is more important than what's in your hand.
YMMV

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have no way of knowing what your shoulder is like but I'll tell you what happened to me. When I was 56 I had major Shoulder surgery and couldn't draw my bow. Was determined to hunt and no way was I willing to use a crossbow. Bought a new bow in the 40-50 lb. range. That year I hunted @ 42 lb. and had a complete pass thru on a mature deer. Now at age 65 have worked my way up to 50 lb. and average 1 nice buck each year. I use Beman carbon arrows with 50 grain brass inserts and 125 grain Magnus 2 blade stingers. Works great and if you can draw 40 lb. you'll be ok.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
In my book, being out there in the deer woods is more important than what's in your hand.
YMMV

...or in your head.

There's no way I'd NOT hunt with a x-bow if it meant not being in the game at all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Get it fixed after the season. I had mine repaired 8 months ago and now it's just as good as the other.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SKane
In my book, being out there in the deer woods is more important than what's in your hand.
YMMV

...or in your head.

There's no way I'd NOT hunt with a x-bow if it meant not being in the game at all.

This

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't have surgery because of the Blood Thinner I take. So I guess I will get an entry level crossbow and try it, maybe a Parker Bushwhacker.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Turn your bow down to the lowest setting that's still legal and try pulling it.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option, using your current equipment with the addition of a Draw-Loc.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bea175
I can't have surgery because of the Blood Thinner I take. So I guess I will get an entry level crossbow and try it, maybe a Parker Bushwhacker.

Bob, I was completely against crossbows....until I shot one, aside from not drawing back, they really aren't much different from a vertical bow. They don't extend ranges, and while you lose the challenge of drawing back, you gain additional challenges

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
at least I will be hunting

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Another option, using your current equipment with the addition of a Draw-Loc.

I would rather use a crossbow

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just don't understand this argument. I've killed a buck with my bow since I was 13 yrs old. Got a crossbow a few yrs ago for the kids. I used it for two yrs because it was something new and exciting and different. No different in carrying a 30-30 with open sights one day and ur 7LRM with a NF the next. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. If u want to hunt than u hunt with whatever u want with whatever weapon u choose.

Roy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What kind of bow were you shooting before the lawnmower accident?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Mathews Outback and Parker Ambusher. Plus my two long bows

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd get a crossbow and hunt...

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is nothing wrong with crossbows, accept the lazy people who use them that believe they don't have to be a good hunter to be successful.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I tried a crossbow after 20 years of vertical bow hunting just because they had become a legal weapon and I wanted to try something different for a change. I now have 4 xbows and don't feel any different about them than my tricked out Mathews vertical. They are different, but the hunting and ranges are exactly the same.

Good Luck

loder

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only use a crossbow because I do not have the time to shoot my compound like I want to.

When I was shooting my PSE, I was shooting anywhere from 10-30 arrows a night, 4-5 days a week, from June until the season. I can't do that anymore.

What I can do however, is shoot a dozen or so bolts every Saturday/Sunday for July and August, and I can be comfortable and Happy.

I owe it to the deer to be accurate and true with my shot. I don't trust myself with my compound after not shooting for a period of time.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do the X bow, too close to season to learn another way to shoot your other bows.

There was a one-armed man in this area a few years ago who was shooting a compound and winning all the matches. He did it by fixing a leather strap to his string and pulling with his teeth. It worked great because he was looking straight down the arrow when he opened his mouth to release.

Some of the "sportsmen" he was beating wanted his method (and him) disqualified, but the officials told them to go pound it. If they thought he had an unfair advantage, they were free to shoot one-handed too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,983
Posts18,480,914
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.