-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few projects going at the house. I just finished putting in tongue and groove bead board in the kitchen area and used latex caulk.

I am now remodeling the downstairs 1/2 bath with bead board. Pulled out the pedestal sink and next comes the toilet.

Do I need a special "plumbers caulk or bathroom caulk" when I install a new pedestal sink? On the toilet base too? It seems like the caulk that I cut to get the sink out and the base of the toilet was pretty tough stuff. Wondering if it was a different kind of caulk other than standard latex caulk that I used on the bead boards.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would use 100% silicon caulk on the sink.....No need to use caulk on the toilet base.

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 08/26/15.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never caulked a toilet base either, don't see it as a positive thing if when the wax seal starts to go.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Though I guess you could caulk around the front of it and leave the rear uncaulked if you feel you must caulk.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plumbing code here requires all fixtures to be caulked to the adjoining surface including toilet bases to the floor. I never liked the idea of completely sealing the toilet to the floor either just in case a wax seal fails, so I compromise with the inspectors and caulk all but the back of the toilet so that a failed seal will show up before the crapper falls through the rotted floor.

Personally, I think the best reason to caulk a toilet to the floor is that it keeps the inevitable dribbles from seeping under the floor and creating a stink. Makes for cleaning up around the toilet a lot easier, too.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On the toilet base too?
Caulking a toilet base can cause you grief later. If you get a leak around the wax ring, the water will be trapped underneath and will rot out the floor. If you leave it without caulk, water can escape so you can see it. You can't fix what you don't know about. I've rebuilt 2 rotted bathroom floors caused by caulked toilets.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
our state plumbing code requires caulking the toilet base for sanitary reasons.

I disagree with that rule totally.

I understand the theory, but folks are WAY to worried about sanitary sewage for some reason... I could see it in public buildings. I cna't see it residential at all.

FWIW almost all the plumbers here just run the silicone as mentioned. Both sink and water closet if they desire.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just sit down to Pee....Problem solved. laugh

Originally Posted by bruinruin

Personally, I think the best reason to caulk a toilet to the floor is that it keeps the inevitable dribbles from seeping under the floor and creating a stink. Makes for cleaning up around the toilet a lot easier, too.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Sakoluvr,

You may want to take a look at the closed cell polyurethane foam toilet seals that are available now. They used to be hard to find, but I think Home Depot has them now. I used them on the last two toilets I installed, and liked them. That was about 2 years ago, so I don't have a long track record with them.

Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caulk around the front of a toilet keeps it from shifting without tightening the bolts down tight enough to crack the porcelain. Mildew resistant caulk is good around a sink or other damp area.

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Always remember the 3 most important things when caulking.

Silicone, silicone, and silicone.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by C. Kormanik
Sakoluvr,

You may want to take a look at the closed cell polyurethane foam toilet seals that are available now. They used to be hard to find, but I think Home Depot has them now. I used them on the last two toilets I installed, and liked them. That was about 2 years ago, so I don't have a long track record with them.

Chris
Are they similar to the foam gaskets used with RV toilets?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by add
Always remember the 3 most important things when caulking.

Silicone, silicone, and silicone.

And here I really thought it was NP1, NP1 and NP1

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
NP1 is great stuff. Not for interior though. mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

For cosmetic caulking, I usually soak the silicone tube in hot water for several minutes. Then, the silicone comes out really smoothly and forms nicely when you form it.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The idea behind caulking the base is that water when cleaning/mopping don't get under there....but then again if the seal should go the leak from the inside will get ...do what I do on the homes I build...caulk all the way around ..leaving a inch or two dead center in the back! Code guy never looks there whistle ! And u get piece of mine...double the 1st reinforced wax ring with a toper of a PLAIN wax ring wink

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats the first place I look at a water closet when I inspect, IF its got any caulk to start with.

Not that I care. But its fun seeing who does it what way.

Some of these rules are just about silly.

Same way I do wax rings at home, I actually use the thin wax only to fill in voids first, then seat a ring, and then ad a thin one on top, wax only.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.